Jump to topic:

another idea on How it All Began!

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:15:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
good to see ya, science nerds. One of our CrossFIt members teaches Biology at UCSC right next door to our Box. He saw me reading a book he laid on my counter here while he worked out, it's by a London bio-chemist named Nick Lane, its titled "The Vital Question." So he let me have it and I just began it last night. might be a little too deep fore me but we'll see. I wanted to get your idea on HIS idea of how Life Began. this is a exerpt from acritical review of the book so you get a idea of his main theory....

Lane proposes that the system by which most organisms convert energy to usable biochemicals (especially ATP) provides an important clue about how life originated. Organisms pump hydrogen ions outside of a membrane in a fashion analogous to a pump that pushes water into a water tower. Much as the flow of water out of a tower can be used to power an electric generator, organisms use this hydrogen ion gradient to produce ATP which serves as universal source of energy for cells.

Lane argues that deep-sea alkaline hydrothermal vents provided all the conditions necessary for the origin of life. These vents continuously provide hydrogen and carbon dioxide which can be combined to yield energy and organic compounds. These vents also contain metallic compounds, especially iron and sulfur containing compounds, that could serve as catalysts for the chemical reactions needed by the precursors of living organisms. Furthermore, the structures created in these vents contain pores that could serve as nurseries for the precursors of living organisms. Most importantly, boundaries in these pores permit the creation of an electrochemical gradient similar to hydrogen ion gradient that exists in living things.

What is your take on this stuff? Thanks. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 12:11:49 AM
That's interesting, August.

I think there's a really interesting puzzle regarding how life might have moved from precellular form to a cellular form, but whenever I see talk of natural membranes it makes my ears prick up, and almost dislodges my hat.

That's what happened when I read this post. As with all conjectures I think a good approach is to source as many credible ideas as one can, and only begin to winnow them into hypotheses once one has a sense of all the ways something might have occurred. That's definitely work in progress.

But on the plus side, there has been interest for decades in the development of life in reducing environments, and that path seems to be offered here too. On the other hand, some good work has been done on the production of pre-life molecules in oxidising environments, so it looks like a good idea to have an each-way bet here.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 12:34:58 AM
At 8/13/2015 11:15:41 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
good to see ya, science nerds. One of our CrossFIt members teaches Biology at UCSC right next door to our Box. He saw me reading a book he laid on my counter here while he worked out, it's by a London bio-chemist named Nick Lane, its titled "The Vital Question." So he let me have it and I just began it last night. might be a little too deep fore me but we'll see. I wanted to get your idea on HIS idea of how Life Began. this is a exerpt from acritical review of the book so you get a idea of his main theory....

Lane proposes that the system by which most organisms convert energy to usable biochemicals (especially ATP) provides an important clue about how life originated. Organisms pump hydrogen ions outside of a membrane in a fashion analogous to a pump that pushes water into a water tower. Much as the flow of water out of a tower can be used to power an electric generator, organisms use this hydrogen ion gradient to produce ATP which serves as universal source of energy for cells.

Lane argues that deep-sea alkaline hydrothermal vents provided all the conditions necessary for the origin of life. These vents continuously provide hydrogen and carbon dioxide which can be combined to yield energy and organic compounds. These vents also contain metallic compounds, especially iron and sulfur containing compounds, that could serve as catalysts for the chemical reactions needed by the precursors of living organisms. Furthermore, the structures created in these vents contain pores that could serve as nurseries for the precursors of living organisms. Most importantly, boundaries in these pores permit the creation of an electrochemical gradient similar to hydrogen ion gradient that exists in living things.

I think Lane has a much stronger argument for the origins of life than the primordial soup hypothesis. It will be interesting to see his work vetted through peer review. Perhaps, we'll be seeing more deep sea research as a result.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:38:22 AM
At 8/14/2015 12:34:58 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 8/13/2015 11:15:41 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I think Lane has a much stronger argument for the origins of life than the primordial soup hypothesis. It will be interesting to see his work vetted through peer review. Perhaps, we'll be seeing more deep sea research as a result.

I think your right and that it might have already began. and why not? what too us so long? LOL. if we came from the sea doesnt it make sense the Vital Answer is down there too? check this out..............http://www.whoi.edu...
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!