Jump to topic:

some pretty cool Biology stuff....

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 10:32:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I been reading (trying) a biology book lately by a guy named Nick Lane who had a new idea for how those first living microbes might have been made about 3 billion years ago. (I dont think it was nearly this long ago, but thats beside da point). so I been on sort of a biology kick and surfing a little on it. I found this site with some neat trivia. see what you think. pick one of the topics on it and we can discuss maybe? all righty then.
Oh yeah.................God Bless you all.

http://en.globalquiz.org...
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 10:45:07 PM
At 8/15/2015 10:32:43 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
I been reading (trying) a biology book lately by a guy named Nick Lane who had a new idea for how those first living microbes might have been made about 3 billion years ago. (I dont think it was nearly this long ago, but thats beside da point). so I been on sort of a biology kick and surfing a little on it. I found this site with some neat trivia. see what you think. pick one of the topics on it and we can discuss maybe? all righty then.

LOL. Just like the trivia websites you brought up as SoM. Couldn't resist, eh?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 10:46:06 PM
At 8/15/2015 10:45:07 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

are you going to admit you were wrong on the Einstein quote? OR remain a drunken coward?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 11:22:26 PM
At 8/15/2015 10:46:06 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/15/2015 10:45:07 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

are you going to admit you were wrong on the Einstein quote? OR remain a drunken coward?

I am neither drunk nor a coward. I am quite sober when I stand up to your fabrications and expose them for what they are. The coward is the one who pretends to be someone they're not, like yourself who was a pretend atheist and now a pretend believer. That's a real coward.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 2:15:37 AM
Doc Draba! Are ya there? Hey..I posted this not for the quiz--I didnt take it--but for the Biology facts and trivia. I need yo to explain to me what a Prion is? It's on the 7th item down the list, as to what is the most resistant particle to sterilizations? I could look it up but Id rather you put it in your own words. Thanks. God Bless.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:25:21 PM
At 8/16/2015 2:15:37 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
Doc Draba! Are ya there? Hey..I posted this not for the quiz--I didnt take it--but for the Biology facts and trivia. I need yo to explain to me what a Prion is? It's on the 7th item down the list, as to what is the most resistant particle to sterilizations? I could look it up but Id rather you put it in your own words. Thanks. God Bless.

Prions are misfolded proteins. In order for a cell to use a protein it has to be folded properly to interact with the various objects it interacts with. It is one of the great complexity of life because there are a million and one different ways they could fold.

Once you get a protein misfolded in your system it can cause a chain reaction to misfold newly created proteins. It is the cause of creutzfeldt-jakob disease which was discovered from cannibals eating their relative's brains. Misfolded proteins is also implicated as the plaque buildup in the brain for Alzheimer.

The scary thing about it is that a protein is not a living material like a bacteria. It can't be heated and killed like a bacteria. Mad cow disease is a variant of creutzfeldt-jakob. Generally the cow brain with the prion gets in the meat, most often ground beef and sets off the misfolding chain in the person's body. No amount of cooking will destroy the prions, thus can not be sterilized.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 5:45:44 PM
At 8/17/2015 2:25:21 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 2:15:37 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Prions are misfolded proteins. In order for a cell to use a protein it has to be folded properly to interact with the various objects it interacts with. It is one of the great complexity of life because there are a million and one different ways they could fold.

Once you get a protein misfolded in your system it can cause a chain reaction to misfold newly created proteins. It is the cause of creutzfeldt-jakob disease which was discovered from cannibals eating their relative's brains. Misfolded proteins is also implicated as the plaque buildup in the brain for Alzheimer.

The scary thing about it is that a protein is not a living material like a bacteria. It can't be heated and killed like a bacteria. Mad cow disease is a variant of creutzfeldt-jakob. Generally the cow brain with the prion gets in the meat, most often ground beef and sets off the misfolding chain in the person's body. No amount of cooking will destroy the prions, thus can not be sterilized.

Hey Slo good to see ya! Wow--good info from you on prions. thanks alot! so if I understand you right it seems like those prions sort of act like viruses huh? nasty stuff. it's amazing how they cannot be destroyed by frying or sterelizing. or is there some way to kill them other than that? sounds like theres not. Thank you again. GOd Bless.
medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:29:57 PM
The scary thing about it is that a protein is not a living material like a bacteria. It can't be heated and killed like a bacteria.

Depends on the protein. Heat does denature a protein so it can be destroyed, or altered with heat. When you melt cheese the protein folding starts to get undone, and it wont fold back properly ether when it cools. When you burn it you're actually destroying the proteins in the cheese. The question then becomes at what temperature can you cook a prion, and not destroy the food you wish to eat.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 10:36:18 PM
At 8/17/2015 8:29:57 PM, medv4380 wrote:
The scary thing about it is that a protein is not a living material like a bacteria. It can't be heated and killed like a bacteria.

Depends on the protein. Heat does denature a protein so it can be destroyed, or altered with heat. When you melt cheese the protein folding starts to get undone, and it wont fold back properly ether when it cools. When you burn it you're actually destroying the proteins in the cheese. The question then becomes at what temperature can you cook a prion, and not destroy the food you wish to eat.

thanks again. Hey did you check out the article on the link about being a Cannibal? what part of the body to avoid eating? I thought it was interesting too. reminded me of the scene in one of the Hannibal Lecter movies where he was cooking up Ray Liota's brain as a appetizer. Yum yum!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 11:58:00 PM

You are absolutely right. I should not have made it sound like they are impervious to heat. It is just more quite a bit more than we cook for microbes.

http://www.bseinfo.org...
medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:09:09 PM
At 8/17/2015 10:36:18 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

thanks again. Hey did you check out the article on the link about being a Cannibal? what part of the body to avoid eating? I thought it was interesting too. reminded me of the scene in one of the Hannibal Lecter movies where he was cooking up Ray Liota's brain as a appetizer. Yum yum!

You should always avoid eating other humans. We're packed full of diseases that are tailor made to human biology. By eating nonhuman animals we're at least immune to the diseases that only affect their biology. That's why I like cremation. The potentially diseased caucus is eradicated along with the diseases. It's also why we tend to default to mass cremation when we have a plague running a muck.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:21:15 PM
At 8/18/2015 3:09:09 PM, medv4380 wrote:

You should always avoid eating other humans. We're packed full of diseases that are tailor made to human biology. By eating nonhuman animals we're at least immune to the diseases that only affect their biology. That's why I like cremation. The potentially diseased caucus is eradicated along with the diseases. It's also why we tend to default to mass cremation when we have a plague running a muck.

Im interested if any of the past stories from history about cannabilism tell about those people getting sick? unless of course from lack of hygeine and food prep rules that get ya sick no matter what type of meat you eat? like you know, too long without being frigerated--or not cooked enough. but you think theres something basically bad about eating a healthy and well-cooked human? I dont think so but not sure.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 5:57:39 PM
Whoever made the quiz must be obsessed with that prion stuff...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 8:50:59 PM
At 8/19/2015 5:57:39 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Oh I didnt take the quiz, I just posted that for the Biology trivia for stuff to talk about. probly wont take the quiz, expecially now you said it had a lot of prion stuff, which I didnt even know what those were till one of you guys explained. I heard a pretty cool Bio trivia the other day: all the insects in the world weigh more than all us humans!!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 9:25:11 PM
At 8/19/2015 8:50:59 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Oh I didnt take the quiz, I just posted that for the Biology trivia for stuff to talk about. probly wont take the quiz, expecially now you said it had a lot of prion stuff, which I didnt even know what those were till one of you guys explained. I heard a pretty cool Bio trivia the other day: all the insects in the world weigh more than all us humans!!

Add bacteria and microbes to that as well.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 9:29:00 PM
At 8/21/2015 9:25:11 PM, slo1 wrote:

yeah thats another amazing Biology trivia fact. something like how we have millions of bacetera on every sq. inch of our skin? luckily I guess that 99% of em are harmless, or even helpful? acting as sorts of anti-bacterias against the invading bad ones? Wow...tell me God didn't know what He was doing when He Sparked Life a billion years ago! LOL. but did you mean that all the bacteria weigh more than humans? this I would find incredible.
xtra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 4:32:29 AM
At 8/21/2015 9:29:00 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/21/2015 9:25:11 PM, slo1 wrote:

yeah thats another amazing Biology trivia fact. something like how we have millions of bacetera on every sq. inch of our skin? luckily I guess that 99% of em are harmless, or even helpful? acting as sorts of anti-bacterias against the invading bad ones? Wow...tell me God didn't know what He was doing when He Sparked Life a billion years ago! LOL. but did you mean that all the bacteria weigh more than humans? this I would find incredible. : :

Those who believe that the visible objects in this world are real will have a very difficult time listening to the voice of the Lord and obeying all His commandments.
Evidence
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:13:34 PM
At 8/18/2015 3:09:09 PM, medv4380 wrote:

You should always avoid eating other humans. :

I'll have to make a note of that. lol.
But is it OK to eat human when mixed with other animal meat, .. like chicken for instance? I was thinking of McDonalds chicken McNuggets!? I say this because I just remembered Charlton Heston in Soylent Green, and with Agenda 21 now almost in full swing, (reduce the human animal population by 6.5 billion apes - please see the Agenda 21 related Georgia Guide stones)

http://www.stopagenda21inms.com...

I'm sure the greedy Elite wouldn't want to waste so much meat (unless they start a new Lady-Gaga meat clothing line for the public Elitist followers?!? Besides like I said before, I watch movies to see what's coming up next, I mean the predictability of movies are mind boggling. Like the 1927 German expressionist epic science-fiction drama film Metropolis, 'achieved' and the girl in there is Lady Gaga. Incredible if you ask me!? And that was almost 90 years ago, .. Wow!

We're packed full of diseases that are tailor made to human biology. By eating nonhuman animals we're at least immune to the diseases that only affect their biology. :

I'm confused, so how come Satan worshipers who kill and drink human blood are still around? I mean if there are those indestructible diseases, it would be mostly in the blood, no?

How about the blood in Lady Gaga's perfume, would those L-G microbes die in the perfume?

Thanks, and God bless.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau