Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Cultural biosed theory

Evidence
Posts: 846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 1:13:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

The trouble with this approach scientifically, Ev, is that it's non-constructive: there's no obvious mechanism to explain how the amount of melanin in one's skin might lead to better performance at basketball.

We do know however that certain physiological patterns improve performance at certain sports. For example, tall, thin frames tend to succeed well at basketball and running; short, lean, powerful frames tend to work well at gymnastics; and big lung volumes in lean, medium-height frames tend to work well in cycling. There are well-evidenced biomechanical and metabolic explanations for these advantages, so they're a constructive conjecture.

It is true that different ethnicities can inherit different physiology -- hence the difference in our faces and skins, for example. It's also true to a lesser degree that ethnicity can influence frame, though specific family heredity is likely to influence it more. But also influencing frame size are environment and diet.

Finally, as we know, in sports it's not simply natural advantages that matter -- it's the time, quality and conditions of training. Societies that spend a lot of time and/or money on a particular sport tend to excel in that sport.

So if it's true (and it may be true) that the proportion of African Americans in US basketball is higher than the proportion of African Americans in the US, that could be due to greater and younger participation, specific development paths, or possibly some physical advantages inherited ethnically or environmentally.

Moreover, is there some particular reason to examine this particular sport for representation at this particular time? For example, we also know that incompetent old, white men are over-represented on executive boards, compared to the number of incompetent women, incompetent young, or incompetent people of any other ethnicity. It's hard to argue that this is the result of anything but cronyism and intergenerational social advantage, whereas there's little doubt that top-level basketball players at least, are all highly competent -- however they got there, they generally deserve to be there.

So why choose one statistic over another?

So I think it's fair to ask what conversation you're trying to have, why have it now, and what makes one choose one particular statistical anomaly (if that's what it is), over any other.
ecco
Posts: 180
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 7:58:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

How about giving us a quick overview of the content of the video instead just posting a link?
Think
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 8:43:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 7:58:39 PM, ecco wrote:
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

How about giving us a quick overview of the content of the video instead just posting a link?

By about two minutes in, it was making the following argument:

1) If black people are more represented in basketball, is that because basketball is unfair, or because black people are better at basketball?
2) Isn't it also true that most people believe and feel okay to say that blacks are better at basketball?
3) If it's okay to say that blacks are better at basketball, why isn't it okay to say that whites are better at human relations? (Presumably because whites 'run society'?)
4) In fact isn't racism just the hypocritical position that one can't say whites are better at anything, even though one can say other races are?

Two minutes was as much as I felt was needed to see the ignorant bias in the argument, and about 90 seconds longer than was needed to see the hate.
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:02:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

Hey EV good to see ya.

That makes two of us, brother. I grew up in East Palo Alto, CA. My schools from k-12 were about 60% black. and then about 20? mexican. But I dont know what you mean when you say are we biased for blacks? could you re-phrase your question so I can give a good answer? Thanks.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:05:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 1:48:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
I don't know about basketball, but Kenyan and Ethiopian runners own long-distancing running.

How can you not know about basketball? LOL--Im guessing you dont watch the NBA or NCAA hoops. If yo did you'd easily see a dominance by african americans in those sports as well. (but us white guys still have hockey, baseball, and soccer for team sports where we're well-represented in. I just read on interesting article in how the MBL has been seeing a drastic decline in Blacks for the past 20 years. (more than one reason for this, BTW)

God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Evidence
Posts: 846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 5:24:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 1:13:57 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

The trouble with this approach scientifically, Ev, is that it's non-constructive: there's no obvious mechanism to explain how the amount of melanin in one's skin might lead to better performance at basketball.

We do know however that certain physiological patterns improve performance at certain sports. For example, tall, thin frames tend to succeed well at basketball and running; short, lean, powerful frames tend to work well at gymnastics; and big lung volumes in lean, medium-height frames tend to work well in cycling. There are well-evidenced biomechanical and metabolic explanations for these advantages, so they're a constructive conjecture.

It is true that different ethnicities can inherit different physiology -- hence the difference in our faces and skins, for example. It's also true to a lesser degree that ethnicity can influence frame, though specific family heredity is likely to influence it more. But also influencing frame size are environment and diet.

Thank you, and yes, these are all true, you're awesome. Oh, and thanks for that quick overview of the film. I was hoping to question the way the people answered, .. like when the questions regarded blacks, there was a moment of silence (think before you speak) but regarding whites, "hey, they're just not good enough!", right? As if they weren't worried about getting their lights punched out because their comment was against white! Even the black guy exhibited this caution when it came to blacks.

Same with comments asked about Muslims, especially on Islam. Now, it's this "gay marriage" regarding homosexuality, so what I am looking at is this phenomena that's sweeping over the earth, a noticeable type of caution, maybe even fear!?

Finally, as we know, in sports it's not simply natural advantages that matter -- it's the time, quality and conditions of training. Societies that spend a lot of time and/or money on a particular sport tend to excel in that sport.

Well, .. if that was so, then whites would definitely dominate boxing, don't you think? But that's not the case either, black simply dominate whites there too!

So if it's true (and it may be true) that the proportion of African Americans in US basketball is higher than the proportion of African Americans in the US, that could be due to greater and younger participation, specific development paths, or possibly some physical advantages inherited ethnically or environmentally.

The whites love basketball as much as the blacks, but there seem less and less whites playing it since they know they just won't exceed, .. like very little chance they would make it to the NBA. Oh there is definitely an advantage there, but I wouldn't say environmentally, unless you are saying that the rough condition of the alleys asphalt, and the crooked basket makes them work harder? That could be?

Moreover, is there some particular reason to examine this particular sport for representation at this particular time? For example, we also know that incompetent old, white men are over-represented on executive boards, compared to the number of incompetent women, incompetent young, or incompetent people of any other ethnicity. It's hard to argue that this is the result of anything but cronyism and intergenerational social advantage, whereas there's little doubt that top-level basketball players at least, are all highly competent -- however they got there, they generally deserve to be there.

Yes I agree, in basketball it's definitely the highly competent, but here is something interesting, please watch:

https://www.youtube.com...

So why choose one statistic over another?

So I think it's fair to ask what conversation you're trying to have, why have it now, and what makes one choose one particular statistical anomaly (if that's what it is), over any other. :

As I said, it is not just basketball, or even blacks, or even the cultural bios, but this sort of overall fear, maybe even confusion, kind of uncertainty that seems to be sweeping the globe. If we are really breaking down walls on discrimination, and achieving equal rights as never before seen in history (as some claim, .. more atheists, or those against religion/God then theists.), .. it sure doesn't look like it!

What I'm trying to point out is this; 'One World' idea, how it's portrayed as a Utopia, especially with all the boasting of all the technological advancement where even the handicapped need not fear any longer, hey, them bionic legs can run even faster then the real ones! You see where I'm going with this? Another words, if good things are really on the way, it would be evident in the peoples responses in studies like these, but that's not what I see? Not just this video, but over all.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Evidence
Posts: 846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 5:48:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 2:02:02 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

Hey EV good to see ya.

That makes two of us, brother. I grew up in East Palo Alto, CA. My schools from k-12 were about 60% black. and then about 20? mexican. But I dont know what you mean when you say are we biased for blacks? could you re-phrase your question so I can give a good answer? Thanks. :

Oh wow, so you should know ay? I went to the worst school, or actually becoming the worst school at the time in Detroit both academically, and safety wise too, (weappons, drugs, riots etc.) especially for whites, and the last time I checked which is now 40 some years later, it's still rated a 1 on a 1-10 scale. But they do produce some really good MBA players lol.

Biased for blacks, .. I didn't exactly know how to put it. What I mean is, we are cautious when responding to a question regarding blacks. Even the black guy was cautions in his response towards blacks, but seemed uninhabited with his answers towards whites, even though it was negative towards the whites.

What I mean is, what's going on? I mean I understand promoting anti-discrimination, but there was something else here, like in trying not to discriminate, yet it was obvious (to me anyways) that there was a tone of discrimination?

What's your take on it?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
dee-em
Posts: 6,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 11:36:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 2:05:48 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:48:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
I don't know about basketball, but Kenyan and Ethiopian runners own long-distancing running.

How can you not know about basketball? LOL--Im guessing you dont watch the NBA or NCAA hoops.

No I don't, but you didn't understand. The OP is about a correlation/causation between skin colour and ability in basketball, I believe (having not watched the video). That's what I don't know about. I agree with Ruv that it is more likely cultural and socio-economic in nature. I play tennis and here black Americans are under-represented in terms of numbers, the Williams sisters being a notable exception. That doesn't lead me to believe that white Americans have some innate ability to play tennis better. It would be more about role models, opportunity and the expense associated with the sport which might disadvantage one segment of the population over another.

If yo did you'd easily see a dominance by african americans in those sports as well. (but us white guys still have hockey, baseball, and soccer for team sports where we're well-represented in. I just read on interesting article in how the MBL has been seeing a drastic decline in Blacks for the past 20 years. (more than one reason for this, BTW)
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 12:01:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 5:24:57 AM, Evidence wrote:
At 8/16/2015 1:13:57 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:
Love to hear your opinions on it?

The trouble with this approach scientifically, Ev, is that it's non-constructive: there's no obvious mechanism to explain how the amount of melanin in one's skin might lead to better performance at basketball.

It is true that different ethnicities can inherit different physiology -- hence the difference in our faces and skins, for example. It's also true to a lesser degree that ethnicity can influence frame, though specific family heredity is likely to influence it more. But also influencing frame size are environment and diet.

I was hoping to question the way the people answered, .. like when the questions regarded blacks, there was a moment of silence (think before you speak) but regarding whites, "hey, they're just not good enough!", right?

We are one of the few species that collaborate outside our family/clan for food, protection and child-raising, Ev. Somehow we learned to do something that very few species manage: tolerate and cooperate with people we didn't grow up with, and who don't look, smell, sound or act the way we're used to.

How did we master this? I wonder if maybe our early association with dogs helped -- if the challenge of cooperating with a species unlike our own, but with shared interests and sharable values helped to develop our social skills past those of other species.

It's interesting to note that Neanderthal groups were much smaller than Homo Sapiens groups -- typically just family units. However we managed to work together in much larger societies, and grew those societies even bigger when we began farming, and cooperation was even more critical. We have developed many rituals to bond us with people we didn't grow up with, including feasts, and songs, and dances, and gifts and sports and play.

Anyway, regardless of appearance or the colour of our skin, the people we grow up with and spend time with are the people we most often think of as being 'family'. Somehow we have learned to accept 'not-family' as 'friend' but that doesn't mean it's easy. I think that pause you noticed might be a sort of cognitive dissonance as people try to bridge the gap from 'not family' to 'not family but friend', and try to say words that are friendly, but may not be the words they say to family.

People get better at identifying 'friend' with practice, and some find it easier than others. Some find it hard not to see differences that signal 'stranger danger'. :)

That's one idea, anyway.

I hope it may be useful.
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 5:55:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 11:36:54 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:05:48 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:48:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
I don't know about basketball, but Kenyan and Ethiopian runners own long-distancing running.

How can you not know about basketball? LOL--Im guessing you dont watch the NBA or NCAA hoops.

No I don't, but you didn't understand. The OP is about a correlation/causation between skin colour and ability in basketball, I believe (having not watched the video). That's what I don't know about. I agree with Ruv that it is more likely cultural and socio-economic in nature. I play tennis and here black Americans are under-represented in terms of numbers, the Williams sisters being a notable exception. That doesn't lead me to believe that white Americans have some innate ability to play tennis better. It would be more about role models, opportunity and the expense associated with the sport which might disadvantage one segment of the population over another.

If yo did you'd easily see a dominance by african americans in those sports as well. (but us white guys still have hockey, baseball, and soccer for team sports where we're well-represented in. I just read on interesting article in how the MBL has been seeing a drastic decline in Blacks for the past 20 years. (more than one reason for this, BTW)

as usual your right, DM. your tennis example is a good one. of ocurse blacks COULD also be a very powerful force in that game if they were raised playing it. but their culture usually forbids that. the whole race thing is a myth anyway. blacks have NO different physiology than us white guys. not even more fast-twitch muscle fibers as I once thought before I read-up on it. my earlier baseball example was another reason of their culture precluding them. baseball diamonds take up alot of space and upkeep and money just like the equipment. so many inner cities dont have them also baseball is the hardest sport to master, takes more time, and one guy unless he's a pitcher usually cant make a big impact on a whole team as in basketball. alot of hoops playing blacks in the cities just see hoops as a quicker ticket to fortune at the professional level.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 6:01:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 5:48:32 AM, Evidence wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:02:02 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

Hey EV good to see ya.

That makes two of us, brother. I grew up in East Palo Alto, CA. My schools from k-12 were about 60% black. and then about 20? mexican. But I dont know what you mean when you say are we biased for blacks? could you re-phrase your question so I can give a good answer? Thanks. :

Oh wow, so you should know ay? I went to the worst school, or actually becoming the worst school at the time in Detroit both academically, and safety wise too, (weappons, drugs, riots etc.) especially for whites, and the last time I checked which is now 40 some years later, it's still rated a 1 on a 1-10 scale. But they do produce some really good MBA players lol.

Biased for blacks, .. I didn't exactly know how to put it. What I mean is, we are cautious when responding to a question regarding blacks. Even the black guy was cautions in his response towards blacks, but seemed uninhabited with his answers towards whites, even though it was negative towards the whites.

What I mean is, what's going on? I mean I understand promoting anti-discrimination, but there was something else here, like in trying not to discriminate, yet it was obvious (to me anyways) that there was a tone of discrimination?

What's your take on it?

the closer you are with blacks and more time you spend with them the more comfortable you get. some people are overly cautious of not being thought of as racists by blacks so they sort of walk on eggshells. liberal media has done this to us. also some radical black activists like Sharpton who really dont do much at all to help their brothers. Im fine around them, out of our 40 or so members here at our box we have 6-7 blacks..two of which are cops. they joke among each other and us about the funny liberals and their paranoia of offending blacks all the time. LOL. funny how the libs think their helping to lessen racism but they are really makin it worse. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
dee-em
Posts: 6,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 1:56:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 5:55:24 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 11:36:54 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:05:48 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:48:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
I don't know about basketball, but Kenyan and Ethiopian runners own long-distancing running.

How can you not know about basketball? LOL--Im guessing you dont watch the NBA or NCAA hoops.

No I don't, but you didn't understand. The OP is about a correlation/causation between skin colour and ability in basketball, I believe (having not watched the video). That's what I don't know about. I agree with Ruv that it is more likely cultural and socio-economic in nature. I play tennis and here black Americans are under-represented in terms of numbers, the Williams sisters being a notable exception. That doesn't lead me to believe that white Americans have some innate ability to play tennis better. It would be more about role models, opportunity and the expense associated with the sport which might disadvantage one segment of the population over another.

If yo did you'd easily see a dominance by african americans in those sports as well. (but us white guys still have hockey, baseball, and soccer for team sports where we're well-represented in. I just read on interesting article in how the MBL has been seeing a drastic decline in Blacks for the past 20 years. (more than one reason for this, BTW)

as usual your right, DM. your tennis example is a good one. of ocurse blacks COULD also be a very powerful force in that game if they were raised playing it. but their culture usually forbids that. the whole race thing is a myth anyway. blacks have NO different physiology than us white guys. not even more fast-twitch muscle fibers as I once thought before I read-up on it. my earlier baseball example was another reason of their culture precluding them. baseball diamonds take up alot of space and upkeep and money just like the equipment. so many inner cities dont have them also baseball is the hardest sport to master, takes more time, and one guy unless he's a pitcher usually cant make a big impact on a whole team as in basketball. alot of hoops playing blacks in the cities just see hoops as a quicker ticket to fortune at the professional level.

Yay. We can finally agree on something. :-)
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 2:01:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 1:56:45 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 5:55:24 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 11:36:54 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:05:48 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:48:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
I don't know about basketball, but Kenyan and Ethiopian runners own long-distancing running.

How can you not know about basketball? LOL--Im guessing you dont watch the NBA or NCAA hoops.

No I don't, but you didn't understand. The OP is about a correlation/causation between skin colour and ability in basketball, I believe (having not watched the video). That's what I don't know about. I agree with Ruv that it is more likely cultural and socio-economic in nature. I play tennis and here black Americans are under-represented in terms of numbers, the Williams sisters being a notable exception. That doesn't lead me to believe that white Americans have some innate ability to play tennis better. It would be more about role models, opportunity and the expense associated with the sport which might disadvantage one segment of the population over another.

If yo did you'd easily see a dominance by african americans in those sports as well. (but us white guys still have hockey, baseball, and soccer for team sports where we're well-represented in. I just read on interesting article in how the MBL has been seeing a drastic decline in Blacks for the past 20 years. (more than one reason for this, BTW)

as usual your right, DM. your tennis example is a good one. of ocurse blacks COULD also be a very powerful force in that game if they were raised playing it. but their culture usually forbids that. the whole race thing is a myth anyway. blacks have NO different physiology than us white guys. not even more fast-twitch muscle fibers as I once thought before I read-up on it. my earlier baseball example was another reason of their culture precluding them. baseball diamonds take up alot of space and upkeep and money just like the equipment. so many inner cities dont have them also baseball is the hardest sport to master, takes more time, and one guy unless he's a pitcher usually cant make a big impact on a whole team as in basketball. alot of hoops playing blacks in the cities just see hoops as a quicker ticket to fortune at the professional level.

Yay. We can finally agree on something. :-)

Yippee! But I think we probly agree on more stuff than you think! Remember the old saying: an Atheist is just somebody who believes in one less God than us Christians!
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Evidence
Posts: 846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 2:22:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 6:01:38 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 5:48:32 AM, Evidence wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:02:02 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/16/2015 12:42:49 AM, Evidence wrote:
Growing up as a white-boy in Detroit, I found this video very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com...

Q. Are we biased towards/for blacks?

Love to hear your opinions on it?

Hey EV good to see ya.

That makes two of us, brother. I grew up in East Palo Alto, CA. My schools from k-12 were about 60% black. and then about 20? mexican. But I dont know what you mean when you say are we biased for blacks? could you re-phrase your question so I can give a good answer? Thanks. :

Oh wow, so you should know ay? I went to the worst school, or actually becoming the worst school at the time in Detroit both academically, and safety wise too, (weappons, drugs, riots etc.) especially for whites, and the last time I checked which is now 40 some years later, it's still rated a 1 on a 1-10 scale. But they do produce some really good MBA players lol.

Biased for blacks, .. I didn't exactly know how to put it. What I mean is, we are cautious when responding to a question regarding blacks. Even the black guy was cautions in his response towards blacks, but seemed uninhabited with his answers towards whites, even though it was negative towards the whites.

What I mean is, what's going on? I mean I understand promoting anti-discrimination, but there was something else here, like in trying not to discriminate, yet it was obvious (to me anyways) that there was a tone of discrimination?

What's your take on it?

the closer you are with blacks and more time you spend with them the more comfortable you get. some people are overly cautious of not being thought of as racists by blacks so they sort of walk on eggshells. liberal media has done this to us. also some radical black activists like Sharpton who really dont do much at all to help their brothers. Im fine around them, out of our 40 or so members here at our box we have 6-7 blacks..two of which are cops. they joke among each other and us about the funny liberals and their paranoia of offending blacks all the time. LOL. funny how the libs think their helping to lessen racism but they are really makin it worse. God Bless. :

Yes, that's so true. I remember in class one day (99% black) and a black kid grabbed my pencil off my desk, and just sat down.
I got up and walked over to him and said: "Hey nigga, give me back my pencil!" (I had Detroit accent back then, I didn't say the white 'nigger', but said exactly like they call each other; nigga's) It just came out of my mouth.
But my Lord, the entire class shut up, and looked up at me, including the white teacher.
So I said: "What? That's how you guys talk!"
Then they all just laughed it off, with one guy saying to the guy who took my pencil: "Hey nigga, give him back his pencil!"

Talking about walking on eggshells! lol
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Evidence
Posts: 846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 2:26:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 2:01:08 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/18/2015 1:56:45 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 5:55:24 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 11:36:54 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:05:48 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:48:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
I don't know about basketball, but Kenyan and Ethiopian runners own long-distancing running.

How can you not know about basketball? LOL--Im guessing you dont watch the NBA or NCAA hoops.

No I don't, but you didn't understand. The OP is about a correlation/causation between skin colour and ability in basketball, I believe (having not watched the video). That's what I don't know about. I agree with Ruv that it is more likely cultural and socio-economic in nature. I play tennis and here black Americans are under-represented in terms of numbers, the Williams sisters being a notable exception. That doesn't lead me to believe that white Americans have some innate ability to play tennis better. It would be more about role models, opportunity and the expense associated with the sport which might disadvantage one segment of the population over another.

If yo did you'd easily see a dominance by african americans in those sports as well. (but us white guys still have hockey, baseball, and soccer for team sports where we're well-represented in. I just read on interesting article in how the MBL has been seeing a drastic decline in Blacks for the past 20 years. (more than one reason for this, BTW)

as usual your right, DM. your tennis example is a good one. of ocurse blacks COULD also be a very powerful force in that game if they were raised playing it. but their culture usually forbids that. the whole race thing is a myth anyway. blacks have NO different physiology than us white guys. not even more fast-twitch muscle fibers as I once thought before I read-up on it. my earlier baseball example was another reason of their culture precluding them. baseball diamonds take up alot of space and upkeep and money just like the equipment. so many inner cities dont have them also baseball is the hardest sport to master, takes more time, and one guy unless he's a pitcher usually cant make a big impact on a whole team as in basketball. alot of hoops playing blacks in the cities just see hoops as a quicker ticket to fortune at the professional level.

Yay. We can finally agree on something. :-)

Yippee! But I think we probly agree on more stuff than you think! Remember the old saying: an Atheist is just somebody who believes in one less God than us Christians!
God Bless.

LOL, .. doesn't sound that bad when you put it that way, right?
God bless August!
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau