Jump to topic:

Were humans designed to be hunters?

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 6:04:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The assumption is that humans, being omnivorous, are natural hunters. Could this assumption be flawed? What if our ability to digest meat is more of a secondary function, designed for occassional use and emergency caloric intake?

Meat is clearly less nutritious than food that is grown, and has many detrimental qualities to our health. Using our intellectual advantage over animals is causing lots of ethical concerns, and we are adversely affecting the environment.

Consider an ancient vegetarian, who is able to wisely avoid meat without the data you and I have to confirm why such a decision has merit. What would he or she think of us in this day and age?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 6:51:57 PM
At 8/30/2015 6:22:56 PM, janesix wrote:
Humans are designed to be omnivores. Look at our teeth.

But what if we were only designed for occasional consumption of meat? Not every day...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 8:58:18 PM
At 8/30/2015 6:04:20 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
The assumption is that humans, being omnivorous, are natural hunters. Could this assumption be flawed?

You could ask it this way: in what biome are vegetable proteins so naturally abundant in every season that humans do not have to compete for them with other animals, and hence seldom have to hunt meat?

That's almost a rheotrical question, Rob. I'm not aware of any Eden-like biome where that's true.

Virtually all surviving hunter/gatherer populations living traditional lives forage for both vegetables and meat virtually all the time. It's only with the development of agriculture that you can produce the assurance of calorie and vegetable protein surpluses needed to support pure vegetarianism.

Also true though is that animal husbandry produces more meat than was available to hunter/gatherers. The meat-sources eaten by foraging peoples tend to be much smaller than those raised by farmers, and they tend to eat the whole animal -- or as much as is edible. In my country of Australia for example, indegenes ate (and eat) a lot of grubs and insects in season, simply because they're plentiful and easier to gather than game hunted or fished for.

So we can probably live healthier and with a lighter environmental footprint by eating less farmed meat and being less picky about its source, but the idea of some natural semi-vegetarian hunter/gatherer idyll, I think is both fantasy and an application of the Naturalistic Fallacy.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 10:01:11 PM
At 8/30/2015 8:58:18 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
The assumption is that humans, being omnivorous, are natural hunters. Could this assumption be flawed?

You could ask it this way: in what biome are vegetable proteins so naturally abundant in every season that humans do not have to compete for them with other animals, and hence seldom have to hunt meat?

That's almost a rheotrical question, Rob. I'm not aware of any Eden-like biome where that's true.

Virtually all surviving hunter/gatherer populations living traditional lives forage for both vegetables and meat virtually all the time. It's only with the development of agriculture that you can produce the assurance of calorie and vegetable protein surpluses needed to support pure vegetarianism.

Also true though is that animal husbandry produces more meat than was available to hunter/gatherers. The meat-sources eaten by foraging peoples tend to be much smaller than those raised by farmers, and they tend to eat the whole animal -- or as much as is edible. In my country of Australia for example, indegenes ate (and eat) a lot of grubs and insects in season, simply because they're plentiful and easier to gather than game hunted or fished for.

So we can probably live healthier and with a lighter environmental footprint by eating less farmed meat and being less picky about its source, but the idea of some natural semi-vegetarian hunter/gatherer idyll, I think is both fantasy and an application of the Naturalistic Fallacy.

well i cant respond fully at this moment because i am on a non-smartphone, but isnt it possible to store nuts?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 10:41:10 PM
At 8/30/2015 10:01:11 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/30/2015 8:58:18 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
well i cant respond fully at this moment because i am on a non-smartphone, but isnt it possible to store nuts?

An adult human needs about 8,000kj per day. Taking a low to medium energy-yield nut like a hazelnut, that's about 280g of farmed hazelnut kernels per day -- or about half a pound of kernels. [http://wholefoodcatalog.info...] A small extended family of five adults (say two couples and a grandparent) would need around a kilogram per day, or ninety kilograms across the whole of winter. Hazelnut farmers report a yield of about 0.11lb of hazelnut kernels per farmed plant, which is about 0.04kg, so even assuming highly fertilised, pest-protected farm-yields, a clan of five adults would need to fully harvest 2,250 hazelnut trees just to find enough calories to eat across winter (that's about four acres of modern hazelnut farm, by the way.) [http://midwesthazelnuts.org...]

But given that these are wild trees, not bred for farm yields, suffering pests and foraging by other animals, the actual yield might be a tenth of that or worse, and don't ask me how much terrain you'd have to wander to find all those nuts, or what you'd be eating while you were gathering them, or what you'd be using for protein at other times of the year. And sure, you might not take in all your calories as nuts, but by the same token I think we'd agree that eight ounces of nuts per day isn't really very much. Even if you halved it or halved it again, you'd still be foraging a lot for very little return.

And that's for a family group too tiny to even be called a clan or tribe.

Depending on where you lived, it might be possible to store some vegetables so they don't spoil, but I'm not aware of any archaeological evidence showing wide-spread seasonal food-storage by hunter-gatherers, and perhaps the sheer energy it takes to collect food -- plus the opportunistic nature of what one collects -- helps explain that.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 7:56:07 AM
The assumption is that humans, being omnivorous, are natural hunters. Could this assumption be flawed? What if our ability to digest meat is more of a secondary function, designed for occassional use and emergency caloric intake?

It depends on what you mean by "meat". I don't think meat eating has ever been "sporadic" but humans probably ate meat on a regular basis since the beginning of times. This implies eating any meat available, from insects, to reptiles, to rodents, to big animals. Although in the latter case, I do think the intake might be more sporadic, since I doubt that the ancient men dared to fight large animals unless they were starving or predicted a future food shortage. Also, it is a recurrent topic on anthropology how the eating of bone marrow has been a key factor on the evolution of Homo sapiens, due to it being easy to store, highly calorical and nutritive. This would suggest hunting was something regular and key to survival.

Meat is clearly less nutritious than food that is grown,

That's not exactly true. Meat is a very nutritious food, more than most, if not all, vegetables. There's probably no vegetable that is so complete on its nutritive content as meat. However, that doesn't mean that a mixture of vegetables can be as nutritious as a piece of, say, red meat. Of course vegans are experts on designing this kind of mixtures, as demonstrated by their good health :). Also:

and has many detrimental qualities to our health.

This is partly true, but some meats, especially fish, are clearly more healthy than the typical red meat. Also the supposed negative effects of meat are mainly due to an exaggerated intake, and due to the toxic conditions most livestock are raised in. In the case of fish, probably the most negative effect for our health is due to our own poisoning of water with heavy metals like mercury.

Using our intellectual advantage over animals is causing lots of ethical concerns, and we are adversely affecting the environment.

Consider an ancient vegetarian, who is able to wisely avoid meat without the data you and I have to confirm why such a decision has merit. What would he or she think of us in this day and age?

I don't think it is possible to be an "ancient vegetarian". You can not be a healthy vegan without resorting to agriculture products, and of course this products can't be found on a natural environment. In fact, you probably can not be a healthy began without the huge offer of products of the supermarket and the internet!

As for the ethical consequences of eating meat. I agree it is not ethical to eat meat, and I also agree that meat consumption is not sustainable on our current situation. Livestock is probably the most inefficient, unsustainable and polluting food source that exists.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 1:57:24 AM

Meat is clearly less nutritious than food that is grown, and has many detrimental qualities to our health. Using our intellectual advantage over animals is causing lots of ethical concerns, and we are adversely affecting the environment.

Meat is NOT clearly less nutritious. It remains our best source of protein. I have done several 2-4 week vegetarian stints in my life. and every time I lose strength. And i AM knowledgeable on all the optional protein sources like lentils; legumes; nuts; and even whey protein shakes with fruit and veggies. I still lose some strength. Im an athlete and know what Im talking about on this.

We clearly evolved as omnivores. both meat AND veggies, plants. Our dentition tells us that, since we have meat-tearing incisors. I think we do have hunting desires and skills in our DNA. God designed us with all the tools for survival. We dont use these skills much anymore, and burn far less calories. and with all the refined sugar--which for most of our evolution was a rare treat!--and processed food, this is a big part of what we're so obese. (some of us. over half of all americans are overweight).

Ancient vegetarian? maybe only out of necessity. and I wouldnt call him wise. back then we ate what we could when we could. we also clearly have the gut and the enzymes to digest red meat. well, ALL meat.

Genesis pretty much tells you we should eat meat, as it said that God gave us dominion over the birds, fish, and animals. By dominion God means we are free to, and encouraged to kill the animals as needed for us to be healthy and thrive, as we are His Prized Created Beings.

Hope this helps.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 6:25:15 AM
Many things have been looked at here, including teeth and digestive tract function.

It has been touched upon in an earlier post that humans need a lot of energy to function, and that eating meat is the best pound for pound source of this energy in nature. However, this is not the full story. Why do humans require so much food energy in their diet?

One major factor that has been overlooked by this thread is the human brain.

The human brain makes up slightly less than 2% of our body weight, yet about 20% of the energy we consume goes towards fueling the brain. This means that humans require significantly more energy than an equivalently sized mammal with a simpler brain. This is the reason we need to consume so much energy, which in turn is the reason we needed to be predators (more efficient food source)

The ability to live a vegetarian lifestyle is a luxury afforded to us by modern technology. It is simply not doable otherwise, considering our unique brain biology.

86.9% off topic - If it is our brain complexity and intelligence that required us to be predators, what does that imply about the likely development of other intelligent lifeforms on other worlds (assuming any exist)?
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 4:38:22 PM

You could be right. But we do have k9 teeth, and there are vitamins in meat that are not in vegetables or fruits. Having said that, vegetarian lifestyles do tend to seem healthier.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 5:14:20 PM
At 9/1/2015 1:57:24 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Meat is NOT clearly less nutritious. It remains our best source of protein. I have done several 2-4 week vegetarian stints in my life. and every time I lose strength. And i AM knowledgeable on all the optional protein sources like lentils; legumes; nuts; and even whey protein shakes with fruit and veggies. I still lose some strength. Im an athlete and know what Im talking about on this.

Here ya go, Mr. know-what-Im-talking-about-on-this Athlete:

http://www.mnn.com...
http://www.therichest.com...
https://www.vrg.org...

We clearly evolved as omnivores. both meat AND veggies, plants. Our dentition tells us that, since we have meat-tearing incisors. I think we do have hunting desires and skills in our DNA. God designed us with all the tools for survival. We dont use these skills much anymore, and burn far less calories. and with all the refined sugar--which for most of our evolution was a rare treat!--and processed food, this is a big part of what we're so obese. (some of us. over half of all americans are overweight).

Ancient vegetarian? maybe only out of necessity. and I wouldnt call him wise. back then we ate what we could when we could. we also clearly have the gut and the enzymes to digest red meat. well, ALL meat.

Genesis pretty much tells you we should eat meat, as it said that God gave us dominion over the birds, fish, and animals. By dominion God means we are free to, and encouraged to kill the animals as needed for us to be healthy and thrive, as we are His Prized Created Beings.

LOL. Dominion means 'sovereignty, control, to govern over', it doesn't mean free to kill, bozo.

Hope this helps.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 1:41:26 AM
At 9/1/2015 5:14:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL. Dominion means 'sovereignty, control, to govern over', it doesn't mean free to kill, bozo.

Hope this helps.

yes..dominion is not synonymous with "the right to kill and hunt" but it tacitly implies it. All those animal sacrifices from the OT Hebrews confirms that.

As far as you nutrition links, sure, Ive no doubt there are many vegetarian elite athletes. I was speaking from my own experience, though. Personally I just feel I lose strength when I "go veggie." We all have different body chemistries and metabolic systems for breaking down and utilizing foods. Some folks obviously can extract strength from non-meat protein. Hell, I know vegans right here in my Box who are way stronger than me. And I only eat meat in moderation. Maybe twice, or three times a week. Small servings. And rarely red meat. Its like how runners love their carbos and carbo load before a particularly long run. Yet you see fad diets like Atkins that forbids all carbos. I never met a athlete who shunned all carbos. Carbs break down into glycogen which is a primary fuel for muscles.
Some people can run or workout on a full stomach. Some cant. Like me, or at least if they do they're not at their best. Same deal with our bio rythyms. Some people are at their physical peak in the morning. Me--I've always been an afternoon guyas far as peak physical--and mental--acuity.

God Bless.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 1:01:51 PM
At 9/2/2015 1:41:26 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Hope this helps.

yes..dominion is not synonymous with "the right to kill and hunt" but it tacitly implies it. All those animal sacrifices from the OT Hebrews confirms that.

Dominion might entail the capacity to kill and hunt those that are dominated, but the "right"? Not at all.

As far as you nutrition links, sure, Ive no doubt there are many vegetarian elite athletes. I was speaking from my own experience, though. Personally I just feel I lose strength when I "go veggie." We all have different body chemistries and metabolic systems for breaking down and utilizing foods. Some folks obviously can extract strength from non-meat protein.

Could it be that you lack knowledge to properly go veggie, or that the supposed "loss of strenght" is only psychological?

Hell, I know vegans right here in my Box who are way stronger than me. And I only eat meat in moderation. Maybe twice, or three times a week. Small servings. And rarely red meat. Its like how runners love their carbos and carbo load before a particularly long run. Yet you see fad diets like Atkins that forbids all carbos.
I never met a athlete who shunned all carbos. Carbs break down into glycogen which is a primary fuel for muscles.

Yeah but there's not really any reason why eating carbos could be considered immoral or why we could think humans do not need carbos to survive.

Some people can run or workout on a full stomach. Some cant. Like me, or at least if they do they're not at their best. Same deal with our bio rythyms. Some people are at their physical peak in the morning. Me--I've always been an afternoon guyas far as peak physical--and mental--acuity.

God Bless.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:06:13 PM

Hope this helps.

yes..dominion is not synonymous with "the right to kill and hunt" but it tacitly implies it.

No, it doesn't, not in the least and by definition.

All those animal sacrifices from the OT Hebrews confirms that.

Nope.

http://www.bibletools.org...
http://www.gotquestions.org...

As far as you nutrition links, sure, Ive no doubt there are many vegetarian elite athletes.

Exactly, which means you don't really know what you're talking about.

I was speaking from my own experience, though. Personally I just feel I lose strength when I "go veggie." We all have different body chemistries and metabolic systems for breaking down and utilizing foods. Some folks obviously can extract strength from non-meat protein.

Everyone can.

Hell, I know vegans right here in my Box who are way stronger than me. And I only eat meat in moderation. Maybe twice, or three times a week. Small servings. And rarely red meat. Its like how runners love their carbos and carbo load before a particularly long run. Yet you see fad diets like Atkins that forbids all carbos. I never met a athlete who shunned all carbos. Carbs break down into glycogen which is a primary fuel for muscles.

God Bless.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:43:09 PM
At 8/31/2015 1:40:50 AM, Wylted wrote:
I don't think humans were designed at all. Hopefully we can correct that in the future.

Well, that's a pretty fascinating sentence, kind of along the lines of "can God make a rock so heavy even he can't lift it?" So you're suggesting that humans arose spontaneously, and then spontaneously developed a capacity for design, which might be used in the future to design humans. But if such design can arise spontaneously, might it not have arisen before man, so that man might be intelligently designed after all?

So there is a sort of logical necessity for creation: "I think, therefore God is" I've often noted - the paradox of evolution is that, if man evolved, he could never know it, in a technical sense of 'know'. The evolved form does what it does because what it does tends towards survival - objective truth is entirely irrelevant. The corollary of this is that if man knows anything, he must be intelligently designed. Only the calibrated instrument can give an accurate reading, or at least a reading that can be trusted as accurate.
This space for rent.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:48:25 AM
At 9/2/2015 1:01:51 PM, Otokage wrote:

Hope this helps.

Dominion might entail the capacity to kill and hunt those that are dominated, but the "right"? Not at all.

As far as you nutrition links, sure, Ive no doubt there are many vegetarian elite athletes. I was speaking from my own experience, though. Personally I just feel I lose strength when I "go veggie." We all have different body chemistries and metabolic systems for breaking down and utilizing foods. Some folks obviously can extract strength from non-meat protein.

Could it be that you lack knowledge to properly go veggie, or that the supposed "loss of strenght" is only psychological?

Hell, I know vegans right here in my Box who are way stronger than me. And I only eat meat in moderation. Maybe twice, or three times a week. Small servings. And rarely red meat. Its like how runners love their carbos and carbo load before a particularly long run. Yet you see fad diets like Atkins that forbids all carbos.
I never met a athlete who shunned all carbos. Carbs break down into glycogen which is a primary fuel for muscles.

Yeah but there's not really any reason why eating carbos could be considered immoral or why we could think humans do not need carbos to survive.

God Bless.

LOL..no it's not psychological. I tested myself. Im an athlete and a CrossFitter. I am very in touch with my own body and know how it reacts to certain foods and fuels. Hell, it what i DO, man. It's a specialty. As far as lacking knowledge on the optimum veggie diet, that IS possible that there are some good and nutritious veggie meals I didn't eat when I did my veggie stints. But I DID use all the available protein sources that vegetarians use. and I still say that,for me, personally, I lose strength without good lean meat. The average non-athlete might not notice this strength loss, since I push myself physically more that probly 95% of the American adult population.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:55:22 AM
At 9/3/2015 2:48:25 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Hope this helps.

God Bless.

LOL..no it's not psychological. I tested myself. Im an athlete and a CrossFitter. I am very in touch with my own body and know how it reacts to certain foods and fuels. Hell, it what i DO, man. It's a specialty. As far as lacking knowledge on the optimum veggie diet, that IS possible that there are some good and nutritious veggie meals I didn't eat when I did my veggie stints. But I DID use all the available protein sources that vegetarians use. and I still say that,for me, personally, I lose strength without good lean meat. The average non-athlete might not notice this strength loss, since I push myself physically more that probly 95% of the American adult population.

But are you talking about strength as of how much weight you could lift? Or strength in the sense of resistance? Meaning you tired sooner? If it is the latter, it doesn't really have much to do with protein, but with carbs, or in summary, with calories of quick access. Maybe your veggie diet was low on carbs? Or maybe you were lacking key minerals in strength-related trainings, like potassium?
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:06:43 PM
At 9/3/2015 8:48:36 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Humans were not designed, they are a product of the environment.

You know what he means.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:21:19 PM
At 9/3/2015 6:55:22 AM, Otokage wrote:

Hope this helps.

God Bless.

But are you talking about strength as of how much weight you could lift? Or strength in the sense of resistance? Meaning you tired sooner? If it is the latter, it doesn't really have much to do with protein, but with carbs, or in summary, with calories of quick access. Maybe your veggie diet was low on carbs? Or maybe you were lacking key minerals in strength-related trainings, like potassium?

Ok...so, first of all, how much weight somebody can lift IS resistance. That's why we call wegiht training "resistance training." In fact that is the correct technical term for it.

And yeah, for me, I'd lose strength in how many times I could do a certain rep. I usually don't do "one or two-time max" lifts. Truth be told I'm not all that into total muscle head weight training. I'm more into my weights for overall tone, strength and flexibility. My old boxing coach used to say that, for boxing and any sport that requires quickness, you don't wanna do the low rep and heavy weight routine but instead the low weight and lotsa reps. that you don't want those bulky, block muscles, but, as he said, "Those long, pretty muscles." LOL. So this is what I go for. Plus, my body type is condusive to that anyway, so I go with it.

I dunno, I just felt a little weaker when I went on a veggie stint. And I am REALLY suprised at how many people here on DDO are having trouble with that. Other ahtletes I talk to here know exactly what Im talking about. So Im left to surmise most of the people on this thread doubting me are non-athletes. Maybe not, but...

Carbos? I love 'em. Nobody could ever accuse me of not eating enough carbos! LOL. They're my favorite. Pasta; rice, etc. When my live-in gf (and killer cook) M is outta town (which is a lot..she does sales for HP) I am always lookin for quick meals to prep. And so my go-to is just spaghetti but without the meatballs and tomatoe sauce. I drizzle Sriracha sauce on it with lotsa pepper. I'll do this three times a week! I do dirty rice all the time too. Pasta salad. its got pasta, you name it I do it!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 3:45:00 AM
Sorry I haven't responded, I have been busy. I would like to say that you guys have made some good arguments and I am likely to concede that humans were in fact designed to be hunters... I will post when I can!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 8:39:27 AM
At 9/3/2015 11:21:19 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 9/3/2015 6:55:22 AM, Otokage wrote:

Hope this helps.

God Bless.

Ok...so, first of all, how much weight somebody can lift IS resistance. That's why we call wegiht training "resistance training." In fact that is the correct technical term for it.

And yeah, for me, I'd lose strength in how many times I could do a certain rep. I usually don't do "one or two-time max" lifts. Truth be told I'm not all that into total muscle head weight training. I'm more into my weights for overall tone, strength and flexibility. My old boxing coach used to say that, for boxing and any sport that requires quickness, you don't wanna do the low rep and heavy weight routine but instead the low weight and lotsa reps. that you don't want those bulky, block muscles, but, as he said, "Those long, pretty muscles." LOL. So this is what I go for. Plus, my body type is condusive to that anyway, so I go with it.

I dunno, I just felt a little weaker when I went on a veggie stint. And I am REALLY suprised at how many people here on DDO are having trouble with that. Other ahtletes I talk to here know exactly what Im talking about. So Im left to surmise most of the people on this thread doubting me are non-athletes. Maybe not, but...

Carbos? I love 'em. Nobody could ever accuse me of not eating enough carbos! LOL. They're my favorite. Pasta; rice, etc. When my live-in gf (and killer cook) M is outta town (which is a lot..she does sales for HP) I am always lookin for quick meals to prep. And so my go-to is just spaghetti but without the meatballs and tomatoe sauce. I drizzle Sriracha sauce on it with lotsa pepper. I'll do this three times a week! I do dirty rice all the time too. Pasta salad. its got pasta, you name it I do it!

Yeah, I'm not an athlete, although I go to the gym 3 days a week to do some weightlift. But I was just thinking that it is a pity that you can not go veggie because of this if you really want to. As an animal lover, I think vegans really do have a special sense of empathy and kindness, at least those that do it for ethical reasons, and I know how difficult it is for us meat lovers to turn vegan... I've tried so many times! In my case, I didn't notice anything odd at the gym, but you know, after a month, I would eat meat again. Now I have a couple of days a week that I eat only vegetables, and I plan to slowly increase this. Maybe if I do it this way, I can turn vegan once and for all, lol.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 2:43:25 PM
At 9/3/2015 6:06:43 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

You know what he means.

I don't. If he doesn't mean literal design then the statement can only hint at the real meaning. What does it mean in an evolutionary context? Humans were historically hunters? Humans reproduce more often when they hunt? I certainly can't be sure what "Humans were designed to be hunters" might mean if it doesn't mean humans were designed.

No, that kind of sloppiness has no place on a science forum. If he doesn't mean 'design', he should say what he means. Sometimes you find out you don't know what you mean, or aren't actually saying anything at all, when you try to use language carefully.
This space for rent.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:37:43 PM
At 9/4/2015 2:43:25 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/3/2015 6:06:43 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

You know what he means.

I don't. If he doesn't mean literal design then the statement can only hint at the real meaning. What does it mean in an evolutionary context?

That the human population has developed and changed over time in accordance with natural selection in such a way as to make it more efficient for the survival of the species to fill the hunter niche in the food chains of which they are apart.

He simplifies it to 'humans were designed as hunters' just as you simplify things. Observe:

Humans were historically hunters?

What do you mean by this? Ah, I see. You mean that several thousand years before the current day the humans who once existed back then were primarily surviving due to predatory hunting behaviors? Yes, this is what you meant but you simplify it to 'humans were historically hunters' and we understand what you mean just fine.

Humans reproduce more often when they hunt?

You mean that the population of the human species increases at a faster rate when the individuals of the species engage in predatory activities? Yes, but you simplified it and we know what you meant.

I certainly can't be sure what "Humans were designed to be hunters" might mean if it doesn't mean humans were designed.

Well the majority of people here understood it to mean what I said in my first paragraph. The fact that you did not understand it after it was simplified is not the fault of the one who simplified it since everyone else got it just fine.

No, that kind of sloppiness has no place on a science forum.

It isn't sloppiness, it is simplification and as I have just demonstrated you do the same thing. People should focus more on what is being said rather than the way it is being said. If it is said in such a way that the point is gotten across and understood then that is all that really matters.

And yes this is a science forum. That does not mean everyone here is a scientist. Blow your mind?

If he doesn't mean 'design', he should say what he means. Sometimes you find out you don't know what you mean, or aren't actually saying anything at all, when you try to use language carefully.

Extend.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 8:17:40 PM
At 9/4/2015 5:37:43 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

It isn't sloppiness, it is simplification

Design is simpler? I don't think so. But feel free to design me a hunter from scratch if you want to show me how simple it is.

If it is said in such a way that the point is gotten across and understood then that is all that really matters.

So explain the point to me then. Tell me what was meant without using any allusion to design. Were humans <blank> to be hunters? What is "blank" - ? If you insert "Did humans evolve to be hunters", well clearly they did if they evolved and they hunted, so that's the "really not saying anything at all" option.
This space for rent.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:02:10 PM
At 9/4/2015 8:17:40 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/4/2015 5:37:43 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

It isn't sloppiness, it is simplification

Design is simpler? I don't think so. But feel free to design me a hunter from scratch if you want to show me how simple it is.

Okay, simple two step process here. Step one is to re read my post and answer the reading comprehension question below.

What did I describe as 'simplified' in my post?

A: The concept of inteligent design.
B: The sentence structure used in the OP.

Hint: The answer is NOT a vowel.

Step two is to re read your bolded statement and answer this reading comprehension question:

In your bolded statement, what are you suggesting I meant was 'simplified' in my previous post?

A: The concept of inteligent design.
B: The sentence structure used in the OP.

Hint: The answer to this one IS a vowel.

Do you understand the problem now? I really can't lay it out any more simply than I just did.

If it is said in such a way that the point is gotten across and understood then that is all that really matters.

So explain the point to me then. Tell me what was meant without using any allusion to design. Were humans <blank> to be hunters? What is "blank" - ? If you insert "Did humans evolve to be hunters", well clearly they did if they evolved and they hunted, so that's the "really not saying anything at all" option.

That the human population has developed and changed over time in accordance with natural selection in such a way as to make it more efficient for the survival of the species to fill the hunter niche in the food chains of which they are apart.

Let's totally pretend that I didn't just copy paste that from my previous post in response to that same exact question.

After all if we did acknowledge that fact then it would almost seem like you didn't even read my post before responding to it, otherwise you would have already seen this right?

Not that the previous multiple choice answers don't demonstrate that quite clearly already...

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:04:21 PM
In post 27 I meant to bold the following words:

When reading post 27 please pretend those words are bolded in that post.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:19:25 PM
At 9/4/2015 9:04:21 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

Ok, whatever. If you'd like to take a crack at explaining how humans were designed to be hunters without being designed, I'm all ears.
This space for rent.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:25:04 PM
At 9/4/2015 9:19:25 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:04:21 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

Ok, whatever. If you'd like to take a crack at explaining how humans were designed to be hunters without being designed, I'm all ears.

Aw, you didn't answer my multiple choice questions. =(

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^