Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Swiss Atom Smasher machine is scary stuff

DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,609
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 2:35:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/17/2015 4:23:54 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
The atom smasher is risky business. Hawkins has given warnings of its use and possible side effects.

Citation required on Hawkings.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:05:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
CERN's revamped particle smasher ready to push physics into unknown
March 12, 2015

A May 31, 2007 file photo shows a view of the LHC (large hadron collider) in its tunnel at CERN (European particle physics laboratory) near Geneva, Switzerland. After a two-year shutdown and upgrade, Europe's multi-billion dollar Large Hadron Collider is about to ramp up for its second three-year run. Scientists say if nature cooperates, the more powerful beam crashes will give them a peek into the unseen dark universe. (Keystone, Martial Trezzini)
Europe's physics lab CERN said Thursday it had begun tests in preparation for rebooting the world's biggest particle collider and trying to uncover new particles that could alter our understanding of the Universe.

"We are really excited, because we are entering a new phase," CERN director general Rolf Heuer told reporters in Geneva.

CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) went offline in February 2013 for a massive overhaul after identifying what is believed to be the Higgs boson, the long-sought maker of mass theorised in the 1960s.

The giant lab, housed in a 27-kilometre (17-mile) tunnel straddling the French-Swiss border, flushed out the so-called "God particle" by crashing proton beams at velocities near the speed of light.

Now, after nearly doubling energy levels possible in the collider, CERN scientists have their sights set on finding exotic new particles in a previously-inaccessible realm.

Frederick Bordry, CERN director for accelerators and technology, said that proton beams were injected into the LHC over the weekend, especially to test transfer lines.

"It was a good test," he said.

CERN now plans to begin rebooting the machine within the next two week, allowing beams containing billions of protons travelling at 99.9 percent the speed of light to shoot through the massive ring-shaped collider.

Presentation of the Large Hadron Collider
By the end of May, the mighty machine should be calibrated to reach energy levels allowing the long-awaited proton collisions"brief but super-intense smashups recorded in four labs dotted around the ring"to begin.

The collider's previous highest power was 8 TeV reached in 2012, but after the upgrade, it will first reach 13 TeV and can potentially be cranked up to a maximum 14 TeV.

Cracks in Standard Model?

Firing up the LHC is not like throwing a light switch, Heuer said, stressing the delicacy of the process and pointing out that the two beams that will be shooting around the loop together will have the power to melt a tonne of copper.

"We don't want to do that. So we are better off increasing the intensity and the power of the beams step by step," he said.

Experiments at the collider have been seeking to unlock clues as to how the Universe came into existence by studying fundamental particles, the building blocks of all matter, and the forces that control them.

http://m.phys.org...
fromantle
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:03:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/17/2015 4:23:54 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
The atom smasher is risky business. Hawkins has given warnings of its use and possible side effects.

I have great respect for Steven Hawkins he is a brilliant thinker.
My main concern is the enormous waste of brains and money when there is much more urgent research on which our survival as a civilised race depends.
It seems to me the antibiotic resistance urgent problem must be solved.
Also the climate changes need concentrated scientific and political attention.
Lets stop gazing into spaceand into the depths of the atom and get down to earth.
chui
Posts: 507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:06:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 2:05:00 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
CERN's revamped particle smasher ready to push physics into unknown
March 12, 2015

A May 31, 2007 file photo shows a view of the LHC (large hadron collider) in its tunnel at CERN (European particle physics laboratory) near Geneva, Switzerland. After a two-year shutdown and upgrade, Europe's multi-billion dollar Large Hadron Collider is about to ramp up for its second three-year run. Scientists say if nature cooperates, the more powerful beam crashes will give them a peek into the unseen dark universe. (Keystone, Martial Trezzini)
Europe's physics lab CERN said Thursday it had begun tests in preparation for rebooting the world's biggest particle collider and trying to uncover new particles that could alter our understanding of the Universe.

"We are really excited, because we are entering a new phase," CERN director general Rolf Heuer told reporters in Geneva.

CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) went offline in February 2013 for a massive overhaul after identifying what is believed to be the Higgs boson, the long-sought maker of mass theorised in the 1960s.

The giant lab, housed in a 27-kilometre (17-mile) tunnel straddling the French-Swiss border, flushed out the so-called "God particle" by crashing proton beams at velocities near the speed of light.

Now, after nearly doubling energy levels possible in the collider, CERN scientists have their sights set on finding exotic new particles in a previously-inaccessible realm.

Frederick Bordry, CERN director for accelerators and technology, said that proton beams were injected into the LHC over the weekend, especially to test transfer lines.

"It was a good test," he said.

CERN now plans to begin rebooting the machine within the next two week, allowing beams containing billions of protons travelling at 99.9 percent the speed of light to shoot through the massive ring-shaped collider.


Presentation of the Large Hadron Collider
By the end of May, the mighty machine should be calibrated to reach energy levels allowing the long-awaited proton collisions"brief but super-intense smashups recorded in four labs dotted around the ring"to begin.

The collider's previous highest power was 8 TeV reached in 2012, but after the upgrade, it will first reach 13 TeV and can potentially be cranked up to a maximum 14 TeV.

Cracks in Standard Model?

Firing up the LHC is not like throwing a light switch, Heuer said, stressing the delicacy of the process and pointing out that the two beams that will be shooting around the loop together will have the power to melt a tonne of copper.

"We don't want to do that. So we are better off increasing the intensity and the power of the beams step by step," he said.

Experiments at the collider have been seeking to unlock clues as to how the Universe came into existence by studying fundamental particles, the building blocks of all matter, and the forces that control them.

http://m.phys.org...

SH's warning talks of an energy of 100 million TeV. He explains this energy can only be achieved in an accelerator the size of the Earth. This is all in the first article you cited.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,609
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:04:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 1:56:08 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Did you even read that article?

"He (Hawking) said: 'A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth"

Try and get your facts straight.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:35:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 3:04:55 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/18/2015 1:56:08 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Did you even read that article?

"He (Hawking) said: 'A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth"

Try and get your facts straight.

It also says they move it up slowly out of caution, and he does give a warning. I guess we can stick our heads in the sand, hope they fully are in control of it and know fully what theoutcome will be each time. They are on the proccess of ongoing simulation of black holes while physicists claim the big bang started in similar fashion from a point. If they fully were arware of the possible effects, these wouldn't be "experiments" nor would they be moving the proccess at slow increments. They would simply go for the whole shabang in one shot, but they are hesitant. Why? What happens if their slow progression hits a certain threshold where the results are irreversible, at least within are technological ability/knowledge to reverse it? Nothing to see here folks.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,609
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:19:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 3:35:27 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 3:04:55 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/18/2015 1:56:08 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Did you even read that article?

"He (Hawking) said: 'A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth"

Try and get your facts straight.

It also says they move it up slowly out of caution, and he does give a warning. I guess we can stick our heads in the sand, hope they fully are in control of it and know fully what theoutcome will be each time. They are on the proccess of ongoing simulation of black holes while physicists claim the big bang started in similar fashion from a point. If they fully were arware of the possible effects, these wouldn't be "experiments" nor would they be moving the proccess at slow increments. They would simply go for the whole shabang in one shot, but they are hesitant. Why? What happens if their slow progression hits a certain threshold where the results are irreversible, at least within are technological ability/knowledge to reverse it? Nothing to see here folks.

Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about and have been taking in by sensationalism.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
the_teacher
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:41:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/17/2015 4:23:54 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
The atom smasher is risky business. Hawkins has given warnings of its use and possible side effects. : :

God's program is tough to solve. His technology is much more advanced than our simple computer binary code.