Total Posts:71|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Mars: A Wet Planet

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
BLAHthedebator
Posts: 982
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2015 11:42:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

I thought this was knowledge years ago, lol... But oh well, the more you know

I think that the possibility of water existing elsewhere... well, it's there, but it's too low to make a definite conclusion. It's probably because we've been exploring almost an infinitely small part of the universe, so we have yet to find anything.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.
onespaniard
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 3:43:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts? : :

Thoughts is where everything is at. Without them, nothing would exist.
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 4:33:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

There is a vast difference between there once being liquid water on Mars and having an overall environment amenable to abiogenesis. This talk of life on Mars needs to be scaled back sharply. It will come to the point where ordinary people are going to become impatient and jaded with the pronouncements of science when it fails to deliver on these 'promises'. Let's stop repeatedly crying wolf.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highy improbable.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 11:08:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There's a Google Doodle commemorating this.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 11:15:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 11:08:55 AM, tejretics wrote:
There's a Google Doodle commemorating this.

That's awesome, lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 4:20:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 11:42:16 PM, BLAHthedebator wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

I thought this was knowledge years ago, lol... But oh well, the more you know

I think that the possibility of water existing elsewhere... well, it's there, but it's too low to make a definite conclusion. It's probably because we've been exploring almost an infinitely small part of the universe, so we have yet to find anything.

IIRC, they found potential evidence that there was water. I think it was indeterminate though. This evidence isn't indeterminate.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 5:33:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 11:42:16 PM, BLAHthedebator wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

I thought this was knowledge years ago, lol... But oh well, the more you know


I think the significance of this latest news is that there IS water on Mars. Present tense. It's moisture, not a body of water, but it's water, and the water moves. It's highly saline, so some is liquid at Mars temperatures, and it moves up and down the mountains.

Don't quote me on all that, but it's something along those lines.
This space for rent.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 7:17:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highly improbable.

No. God didn't create life on mars...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 8:06:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 7:17:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highly improbable.

No. God didn't create life on mars...

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 12:57:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 7:17:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highly improbable.

No. God didn't create life on mars...

No god created life on Earth either ...
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:07:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 12:57:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/29/2015 7:17:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highly improbable.

No. God didn't create life on mars...

No god created life on Earth either ...

How do you know that?
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:09:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:07:05 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 12:57:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/29/2015 7:17:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highly improbable.

No. God didn't create life on mars...

No god created life on Earth either ...

How do you know that?

Darwin told me.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:12:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:07:05 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 12:57:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/29/2015 7:17:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/29/2015 10:12:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 12:30:06 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Life on Mars is not only improbable, it is impossible.

It is not impossible. Just highly improbable.

No. God didn't create life on mars...

No god created life on Earth either ...

How do you know that?

Because what we see in life now, and in the past is not indicative of being designed by someone who has the ability to create whatever they want.
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:12:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 5:22:07 AM, Ryrymase90 wrote:
Screw Mars. Have you ever seen total recall? That place sucks. Except the three titted woman.

I don't know. It didn't look too bad if you were an elite rather than a miner. In the remake it looked even better outside of the old colony.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:14:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:09:29 AM, dee-em wrote:
Darwin told me.

Incorrect my dear friend, Evolution by Natural Selection has nothing to do with the creation of life. It only has to do with life becoming more complex...
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:14:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:12:38 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
Because what we see in life now, and in the past is not indicative of being designed by someone who has the ability to create whatever they want.

How?
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:24:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:14:22 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:09:29 AM, dee-em wrote:
Darwin told me.

Incorrect my dear friend, Evolution by Natural Selection has nothing to do with the creation of life. It only has to do with life becoming more complex...

Hayd, I was being facetious. My witty removal of the period between 'No' and 'God' obviously passed you by.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:26:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:24:10 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:14:22 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:09:29 AM, dee-em wrote:
Darwin told me.

Incorrect my dear friend, Evolution by Natural Selection has nothing to do with the creation of life. It only has to do with life becoming more complex...

Hayd, I was being facetious. My witty removal of the period between 'No' and 'God' obviously passed you by.

no
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:58:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:58:58 AM, SM2 wrote:
Mars is wet? How naughty.

Mars is ready for us ;)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:15:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 7:14:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
NASA has revealed that Mars once had water [http://www.express.co.uk...]. From a laymen's point of view, this seems significant.

It not only underscores the possibility that Mars could've once hosted life (though I find this unlikely), but it also could provide insights into Mars's geological development and to how common or not water may be elsewhere in the universe and solar system.

Thoughts?

Seems like there is lots of water in the cosmos...

http://www.popsci.com...
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:46:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 1:14:56 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:12:38 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
Because what we see in life now, and in the past is not indicative of being designed by someone who has the ability to create whatever they want.

How?

If someone wanted to create life, and had the ability to create life, they wouldn't have made it like it is now, because life is so constrained, limited and poorly designed to be reasonably concluded to have been designed.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:29:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 3:46:24 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:14:56 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:12:38 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
Because what we see in life now, and in the past is not indicative of being designed by someone who has the ability to create whatever they want.

How?

If someone wanted to create life, and had the ability to create life, they wouldn't have made it like it is now, because life is so constrained, limited and poorly designed to be reasonably concluded to have been designed.

You are saying that if you were in their place, you would have done it differently, what if the creator had sufficient reason to have it like it is?
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:42:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 3:46:24 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:14:56 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:12:38 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
Because what we see in life now, and in the past is not indicative of being designed by someone who has the ability to create whatever they want.

How?

If someone wanted to create life, and had the ability to create life, they wouldn't have made it like it is now, because life is so constrained, limited and poorly designed to be reasonably concluded to have been designed.

Oh, Ram, there is SO MUCH wrong with this.

I'll reduce it to two points: How do you define 'poor' - ? You can't have poor design unless you have a goal, and if you have a goal you have intelligent design. Bad design is still design, you know.

But what kind of bizarre definition of 'poor design' could you possibly have? You have a system of devices where both the system and the devices are self-fueling, self-repairing, self-adapting, and self-reproducing, and this is your idea of 'poor design'??? Sorry, but this is an argument from incredible ignorance and/or breathtaking delusion.

But let me add a third point: You can always prove your case by designing some kind of life that is superior to what we've got. Show us how it's done, and you'll shut my mouth. But I suspect you're the kind of narcissist who won't honestly ask himself why such a challenge is completely beyond you.
This space for rent.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 12:42:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Because what we see in life now, and in the past is not indicative of being designed by someone who has the ability to create whatever they want.

How?

If someone wanted to create life, and had the ability to create life, they wouldn't have made it like it is now, because life is so constrained, limited and poorly designed to be reasonably concluded to have been designed.

Oh, Ram, there is SO MUCH wrong with this.

I'll reduce it to two points: How do you define 'poor' -

Prone to periods of unconsciousness. Poor tolerances to the various temperate zones in which it inhabits and various elevations (above and below) sea level present on its 'native' planet. Specialized diet. Self destructive, biologically. The list goes on.

? You can't have poor design unless you have a goal, and if you have a goal you have intelligent design. Bad design is still design, you know.

And the worse it gets, and how long it took to 'make' it such begins to strain the word 'design'. A tree blown over in a wind storm that uproots could conceivably be called a "shelter", as well as poorly designed as a shelter.

But what kind of bizarre definition of 'poor design' could you possibly have? You have a system of devices where both the system and the devices are self-fueling,

No, we are not self fueling.

self-repairing, self-adapting, and self-reproducing, and this is your idea of 'poor design'???

Yes. Do you feel as though those traits have enabled survival or mastery? That is the purpose of a "good" design, after all.

Sorry, but this is an argument from incredible ignorance and/or breathtaking delusion.

Based on what? That there is literally no evidence to us being a design? That sounds more like a reasonable conclusion.


But let me add a third point: You can always prove your case by designing some kind of life that is superior to what we've got.

And you could always prove yours by showing us the designer.

Show us how it's done, and you'll shut my mouth.

Why does it need to be done, exactly? If you agree that a human has the ability to recognize poor and good design, its irrelevant to their ability to create something to prove it. The fact that (many) better traits can be given to this "creation" of humanity demonstrates that the design is lacking. That is the assertion. What does spontaneous creation of 'better' life have to do with proving the point, aside to move the goal posts?

But I suspect you're the kind of narcissist who won't honestly ask himself why such a challenge is completely beyond you.

So you make a bench mark, assume it hasn't been met, then claim they are a narcissist for not meeting your wholly irrelevant benchmark? What happens when humanity does develop some form of AI that does do a lot more things, better? Heck, what if we already have, but... some one is too much of a narcissist to realize their iPhone is smarter and more "human" than they are.

Currently?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 2:26:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/1/2015 12:42:27 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
...

No, we are not self fueling.


Oh? So what outside entity fuels the ecosystem? I presume you are not speaking of God.

A human design must be fueled by an intelligent agent, you see. You must take your car to the gas station. You must plug your cell phone in. So what intelligent agent is it that fuels lifeforms? The Bible says God feeds the sparrows, but I figured you wouldn't subscribe to that idea.

self-repairing, self-adapting, and self-reproducing, and this is your idea of 'poor design'???

Yes. Do you feel as though those traits have enabled survival ...


Well duh! The ecosystem has survived, has it not? And if the Darwin back story is correct, life has survived for hundreds of millions of years. How long will a 747 survive for?

Get a little perspective here, guys. You're actually taking a ridiculous and absurd position. Take a breath and get a little wider angle view here.


Sorry, but this is an argument from incredible ignorance and/or breathtaking delusion.

Based on what? That there is literally no evidence to us being a design? That sounds more like a reasonable conclusion.


Interesting you would choose the word "literally", since literature is a pretty good marker of intelligence, no?



But let me add a third point: You can always prove your case by designing some kind of life that is superior to what we've got.

And you could always prove yours by showing us the designer.


He's been shown. You just insist on continuing the obvious logic flaw of expecting the designer to be found inside the design instead of outside of it.

But of course your demand is itself a dodge. Whether I can or cannot show the designer is quite irrelevant to your illogical claim that life would be poor design if it were design. Your claim is logical nonsense, to say "there is no designer but if there were he'd be bad" How can you have relative quality of design when there is no design at all? The speaker is the product of the process, whatever it is, so if the results of the process are poor, the speaker himself must be poor. So the "life is bad design" is an absurd argument from start to finish. Whenever someone makes this argument it's a sure sign he is a partisan hack and not a logical thinker.

Show us how it's done, and you'll shut my mouth.

Why does it need to be done, exactly? If you agree that a human has the ability to recognize poor and good design,

I do acknowledge that. I just follow the logical implications of us having such ability.

The fact that (many) better traits can be given to this "creation" of humanity demonstrates that the design is lacking. That is the assertion. What does spontaneous creation of 'better' life have to do with proving the point, aside to move the goal posts?


Well, obviously if you can't show "better" you may be full of it in claiming that better is possible. You say a good golf club can hit a drive a thousand yards. I'm gonna ask you hit one of these thousand yard drives for me, or else I'm gonna call bs. And if you can't hit a thousand yard drive, maybe a 400 yard drive is pretty good after all.

But I suspect you're the kind of narcissist who won't honestly ask himself why such a challenge is completely beyond you.

So you make a bench mark, assume it hasn't been met,

It hasn't been met, lol. Show me the bench mark if you've got it. I don't know if this is funny or sad, such extreme effort to avoid such an obvious point. You can't make a better lifeform, let's be something within a few light years of real here, shall we?

What happens when humanity does develop some form of AI that does do a lot more things, better? Heck, what if we already have, but... some one is too much of a narcissist to realize their iPhone is smarter and more "human" than they are.


Ah no, an iPhone is not even close to the human brain. That's so silly I hardly know how to answer it. Again, my claim that evolution is overall an argument from profound ignorance of the genius of life. Of course, tools could always do things humans can't do, in some narrow measurement. A club can hit harder than a fist, no argument there. But to not be even remotely aware of the overall miracle of the human brain? Not good, dude, not good.
This space for rent.