Jump to topic:

Gravity as a 5th Dimension?

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 3:28:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I recently watched the new Sci-Fi movie Interstellar, which introduces a new (I think) theory: that Gravity is another dimension, and that it does not necessarily propagate through Time (being the 4th Dimension), but rather it directly interacts with Time.

Would you consider this a plausible theory?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 3:31:11 PM
I don't generally consider fiction to be the creators of plausible scientific theory.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 3:44:59 PM
At 9/29/2015 3:28:59 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
So I recently watched the new Sci-Fi movie Interstellar, which introduces a new (I think) theory: that Gravity is another dimension, and that it does not necessarily propagate through Time (being the 4th Dimension), but rather it directly interacts with Time.

Gravity is a property of mass, if there is no mass, there is no gravity, hence if gravity were a dimension, then dimensions would also have to be properties of mass, but they aren't. The "theory" doesn't make sense.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 4:18:10 PM
At 9/29/2015 3:31:11 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I don't generally consider fiction to be the creators of plausible scientific theory.

It has been inspiration for some theoretical ideas.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 10:49:22 PM

Well, they said that gravity crosses dimensions, I don't believe they said it was another dimension, but its been a while so I could be wrong. Gravity does directly interact with time though, I'm pretty sure this is fact, the stronger gravity is the slower time is.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 9:25:53 AM
Mass is a measure (of potential energy), and gravitational attraction is a measure of force, but neither of these quantities work well as part of the dimensionality of physical space.

Mathematically, the dimensionality of space is a single number: the minimum number of coordinates you need to locate a point. For example, GPS-space covers the surface of the earth, and has two dimensions: a latitude and a longitude. Or you can add a time coordinate, and give it three dimensions to track where people are when.

(So as a digression, an alien can't really be from 'another dimension' -- that's science fiction phlebotenum [http://tvtropes.org...]. They could be from another space, or another universe, but a dimension is just a number like '2' or '3'.)

To work as a coordinate, a metric has to do the things other coordinates do. In particular, the operations of translation (adding a number to each coordinate on an object to move it someplace else), and rotation (moving an object while keeping one point at a fixed coordinate) need to be meaningful.

How is that supposed to work for mass, though? If mass were part of a coordinate system, then theoretically, any velocity along the mass 'axis' would make you progressively heavier or lighter. But any impact can impart velocity, so a single collision could make you eventually become as heavy as a black hole, or give you a negative mass that would theoretically make you float away!

And what about rotation? If you rotated along the 'mass' coordinate, you'd get heavier and lighter and heavier again. And how would angular momentum be conserved with that happening?

My conclusion: mass is a measure, but I don't think it would make a very good coordinate. I think it's phlebotenum too. :)
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:24:09 PM

Interstellar was a science fiction movie in which they consulted real scientist to devise a plausible script.

The aliens were advanced humans.

And I really enjoy how every post so far was 'no, gravity is blank, so therefore not a dimension'. They tell you what gravity is.

However the idea is not new. Klien proposed so in 1920. His idea of a rolled up dimensionis reused in string theory.

The idea is gravity is an effect we see from unseeable interactions. That there is a dimension rolled up small. As an object acquires more mass it has more interaction ever so slight with this other dimension. 2 objects create a vacuum between them in this other dimension and they are pushed together.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 2:52:48 PM
(1) Gravity is a measure of intrinsic force exerted by an object with mass n. Gravity is proportional to mass -- thus cannot be a spatial dimension, since spatial dimensions cannot be proportional to mass. "Interestellar" was a science fiction film, not a scientific one. The hypothesis doesn't even exist in the scientific community.

(2) The flat curvature of the universe suggests that the net energy of the universe is zero. This would suggest that gravity is a measure of attractive "energy" (not really energy, since energy is scalar, and gravitational force is vector). This would entail that gravity cannot be a spatial dimension that doesn't propagate through time.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass