Can loneliness cause a hedonic...

Pirate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 1:24:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
...sensation?

It seems that feeling lonely causes some sort of pleasure that i try to find by finding myself in another lonely situation. On the other hand, hanging out and such don't do the opposite effect.

Could it be that loneliness has an evolutionnary advantage? This seems strange, since humans tend to form groups and give more importance to social meetings than other things (idiots who get drunk at my age, good luck getting your cognitive capabilities back...).

Same thing seems to apply to mild sadness.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 8:29:29 PM
At 9/16/2010 1:24:15 PM, Pirate wrote:
...sensation?

It seems that feeling lonely causes some sort of pleasure that i try to find by finding myself in another lonely situation. On the other hand, hanging out and such don't do the opposite effect.

Could it be that loneliness has an evolutionnary advantage? This seems strange, since humans tend to form groups and give more importance to social meetings than other things (idiots who get drunk at my age, good luck getting your cognitive capabilities back...).

Eh sorta happens with me...kinda. I prefer being left alone in a meloncholly state. That said I don't like being lonely or sad. Just kinda there and alone. But not all the time.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 9:02:26 PM
...sensation?

It's true that humans aren't solitary animals. But some people feel better when they're not in group situations. Personally, I like being around people but it's nice to come home to an empty apartment at night... It feels like there's less stress when I'm by myself. :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 9:42:28 PM
...sensation?

I think it does. I think people that draw pleasure from loneliness do so to vindicate their own beliefs that no one cares about them or that no one likes them.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Pirate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:46:23 AM
At 9/16/2010 9:42:28 PM, jharry wrote:
...sensation?

I think it does. I think people that draw pleasure from loneliness do so to vindicate their own beliefs that no one cares about them or that no one likes them.

Hmm... Well i'm no psychologist but i know i have friends and people who care about me. It could be one of the causes, but there might be other reasons? It's also linked to music i believe.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 10:29:45 AM
...sensation?

I went through a long period where there was almost an indulgence in my isolation. It's hard to describe, but i think that it's routed in a fear of people, and greater comfort in being with just me. It ended up being very unhealthy for me for a variety of reasons, and I have changed considerably since then, but i do crave the occasional periods of being alone (which i rarely get).
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 6:10:03 AM

Loneliness or being alone? The brain may play into either for some individuals ('favoured' state). The former can play into neuroticism which depending on the individual can allow certain cognitive advantages, the latter - introversion, again depending on the individual has a host of benefits not least of which relaxation and calm from lack of stimuli being one.
Pirate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:55:53 AM
Well, i thought loneliness ment being alone at one moment. That's what i ment, not being alone in general, such as having no friends or something.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 3:43:08 PM

Could it be that loneliness has an evolutionnary advantage?:

Being alone and being lonely are not synonymous.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 3:52:35 PM
At 9/18/2010 10:55:53 AM, Pirate wrote:
Well, i thought loneliness ment being alone at one moment. That's what i ment, not being alone in general, such as having no friends or something.:

No, being lonely is to desire companionship, but not having that desire fulfilled.

As for your question, there are some distinctions. I prefer being alone a lot of the time because I'm just not a needy person who needs constant attention every second of the day. That said, humans are still social creatures and need social interaction and to foster relationships to be sane.

Those who isolate themselves from the rest of the world probably do so because they have severe bouts with feelings of inadequacy and fear rejection. Instead of learning how to behave in social situations, and to instill confidence in themselves, they delay the inevitable and avoid social interaction.

So here we see two extremes. People who can't be alone and people who can't be with people. Both are unhealthy and a balance needs to be met. I think it is vital to mental health for people to learn how to be alone and to learn how to be social.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 5:02:19 PM
At 9/18/2010 10:55:53 AM, Pirate wrote:
Well, i thought loneliness ment being alone at one moment. That's what i ment, not being alone in general, such as having no friends or something.

Loneliness is a depressive state. It =/= being alone.

That said, sounds like typical introversion as preferred state.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 9:10:11 AM
At 9/18/2010 3:43:08 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

This.

Loneliness --> depession --> suicidal ideation.

Most people can enjoy being alone, but generally the feeling of loneliness is adverse.
Pirate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 12:34:55 PM
At 9/19/2010 9:10:11 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 9/18/2010 3:43:08 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

This.

Loneliness --> depession --> suicidal ideation.

Most people can enjoy being alone, but generally the feeling of loneliness is adverse.

Not really. Many people spend their times around people. Sure, "How can you know, if they're alone and therefore not with you?". My school isn't that big and i know people.