Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Direct measurement of vacuum fluctuations

slo1
Posts: 4,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 1:14:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.sciencemag.org...
The ground state of quantum systems is characterized by zero-point motion. Those vacuum fluctuations are generally deemed an elusive phenomenon that manifests itself only indirectly. Here, we report direct detection of the vacuum fluctuations of electromagnetic radiation in free space. The ground-state electric field variance is found to be inversely proportional to the four-dimensional space-time volume sampled electro-optically with tightly focused few-femtosecond laser pulses. Sub-cycle temporal readout and nonlinear coupling far from resonance provide signals from purely virtual photons without amplification. Our findings enable an extreme time-domain approach to quantum physics with nondestructive access to the quantum state of light. Operating at multi-terahertz frequencies, such techniques might also allow time-resolved studies of intrinsic fluctuations of elementary excitations in condensed matter.
slo1
Posts: 4,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 1:17:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I can't get access to the paper. Here is a new artilce on it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com...

While the fluctuation of the electric field in a vacuum was only under question by the scientific fringe, it is a big find to have empirical proof of it at a system wide level versus knocking out an occasional photo from the foam by introducing energy.
chui
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 12:31:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a truly stunning result.

If I understand this correctly they are claiming that they can directly and individually interact with virtual photons that are spontaneously created in empty space. These virtual photons are 'permitted' to exist by the uncertainty principle that allows energy to be 'borrowed' for short lengths of time.

Pulse durations of femto-second duration is an amazing technical achievement in itself.

I did not realize that vacuum fluctuations cause spontaneous emission from excited atoms. Makes sense though.
Akhenaten
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:24:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 1:14:43 AM, slo1 wrote:
http://www.sciencemag.org...
The ground state of quantum systems is characterized by zero-point motion. Those vacuum fluctuations are generally deemed an elusive phenomenon that manifests itself only indirectly. Here, we report direct detection of the vacuum fluctuations of electromagnetic radiation in free space. The ground-state electric field variance is found to be inversely proportional to the four-dimensional space-time volume sampled electro-optically with tightly focused few-femtosecond laser pulses. Sub-cycle temporal readout and nonlinear coupling far from resonance provide signals from purely virtual photons without amplification. Our findings enable an extreme time-domain approach to quantum physics with nondestructive access to the quantum state of light. Operating at multi-terahertz frequencies, such techniques might also allow time-resolved studies of intrinsic fluctuations of elementary excitations in condensed matter.

What they are detecting are alternate left and right ethons spinning at the speed of light. The speed of light being a dimensional signature of the sub-atomic world.
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 11:59:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/16/2015 11:24:45 PM, Akhenaten wrote:

What they are detecting are alternate left and right ethons spinning at the speed of light. The speed of light being a dimensional signature of the sub-atomic world.

I understand each of those terms individually, but when you put them all together, the result is garbage.
Akhenaten
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 12:07:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/17/2015 11:59:41 PM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/16/2015 11:24:45 PM, Akhenaten wrote:

What they are detecting are alternate left and right ethons spinning at the speed of light. The speed of light being a dimensional signature of the sub-atomic world.

I understand each of those terms individually, but when you put them all together, the result is garbage.

If the opening post is not garbage, then, can you draw me a picture of 4 dimensional space time? lol
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 2:37:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/18/2015 12:07:31 AM, Akhenaten wrote:
At 10/17/2015 11:59:41 PM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/16/2015 11:24:45 PM, Akhenaten wrote:

What they are detecting are alternate left and right ethons spinning at the speed of light. The speed of light being a dimensional signature of the sub-atomic world.

I understand each of those terms individually, but when you put them all together, the result is garbage.

If the opening post is not garbage, then, can you draw me a picture of 4 dimensional space time? lol

I said you were garbage. Honestly, do you get off on being a moron?
Akhenaten
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 4:09:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/18/2015 2:37:24 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/18/2015 12:07:31 AM, Akhenaten wrote:
At 10/17/2015 11:59:41 PM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/16/2015 11:24:45 PM, Akhenaten wrote:

What they are detecting are alternate left and right ethons spinning at the speed of light. The speed of light being a dimensional signature of the sub-atomic world.

I understand each of those terms individually, but when you put them all together, the result is garbage.

If the opening post is not garbage, then, can you draw me a picture of 4 dimensional space time? lol

I said you were garbage. Honestly, do you get off on being a moron?

I am giving you a chance to be a super nerd hero. Just draw some 4 dimensional space so that I can have a good laugh!
Or, if you can't, then, humbly retract any insults.
I am waiting.
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 5:13:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/18/2015 4:09:55 AM, Akhenaten wrote:

I am giving you a chance to be a super nerd hero. Just draw some 4 dimensional space so that I can have a good laugh!
Or, if you can't, then, humbly retract any insults.
I am waiting.

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu...

There you go, prick. Knock yourself out.
Akhenaten
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 5:24:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/18/2015 5:13:44 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/18/2015 4:09:55 AM, Akhenaten wrote:

I am giving you a chance to be a super nerd hero. Just draw some 4 dimensional space so that I can have a good laugh!
Or, if you can't, then, humbly retract any insults.
I am waiting.

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu...

There you go, prick. Knock yourself out.

They are wonderful 3D pictures SM1/2

Pity they aren't 4D lol
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 8:05:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/18/2015 5:24:05 AM, Akhenaten wrote:
At 10/18/2015 5:13:44 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/18/2015 4:09:55 AM, Akhenaten wrote:

I am giving you a chance to be a super nerd hero. Just draw some 4 dimensional space so that I can have a good laugh!
Or, if you can't, then, humbly retract any insults.
I am waiting.

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu...

There you go, prick. Knock yourself out.

They are wonderful 3D pictures SM1/2

Pity they aren't 4D lol

Technically, all pictures are 2D.

See? I can split hairs too.

If the pictures don't look 4D, it's probably because your brain hasn't evolved to analyse a 4D environment. But don't worry, we'll keep you stocked with bananas until you catch up.
Akhenaten
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 8:22:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/18/2015 8:05:24 AM, SM2 wrote:

If the pictures don't look 4D, it's probably because your brain hasn't evolved to analyse a 4D environment. But don't worry, we'll keep you stocked with bananas until you catch up.

Your a funny monkey.

But you aren't as funny as Carl Sargan, now, he really is a master comedian. Just watch this comedy sketch.

https://www.youtube.com...