Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

What if NASA had a budget of 500 billion?

Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 9:17:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

http://articles.latimes.com...
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 10:40:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yeah... and there was the Hubble mirror screw up too. But they get some things right. I have a real soft spot for 'Opportunity' which has lasted longer than an energizer bunny on steroids and is still going strong more than 11 years into its three month mission on Mars. I'll be real sorry when it goes quiet.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
Fly
Posts: 2,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 11:26:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

Seeing as how they're budget is currently about $18 billion, and seeing as how they are probably one of the most cost effective agencies, who knows? Neil deGrasse Tyson merely requests that we double their budget (as opposed to your extravagant $500b) to see some pretty amazing things happen-- technologically, educationally, and eventually economically.

But it is hard to invest in the future when a nation's ledger is firmly and shortsightedly anchored to present day priorities and concerns...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Fly
Posts: 2,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 11:31:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
*their* budget

... If anyone's peeved by that...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Rezamee
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 1:23:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/14/2015 11:31:34 PM, Fly wrote:
*their* budget

... If anyone's peeved by that...
Nope.

I just find it amazing to think if NASA had a 500 billion dollar budget. They could quadruple their projects, further increase research into new propulsion mechanisms, and maybe kick of the asteroid mining industry.
fromantle
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 6:52:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Perhaps they woukd spend it on seeking new antibiotics or mittigating climate change ; whoops sorry such down to earth endeavours would hardley engage those egg- heads.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:04:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/14/2015 9:17:19 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

http://articles.latimes.com...

What me to show you links to all the failures of military tech? Military intervention? Military waste?
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:05:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/21/2015 7:04:13 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:17:19 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

http://articles.latimes.com...

What me to show you links to all the failures of military tech? Military intervention? Military waste?

Sure, but that would be overplaying the joke.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:07:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/21/2015 7:05:55 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/21/2015 7:04:13 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:17:19 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

http://articles.latimes.com...

What me to show you links to all the failures of military tech? Military intervention? Military waste?

Sure, but that would be overplaying the joke.

The joke is naive people pointing to a couple failures, and dismissing one of the most successful agencies ever created.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:22:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/21/2015 7:07:40 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/21/2015 7:05:55 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/21/2015 7:04:13 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:17:19 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

http://articles.latimes.com...

What me to show you links to all the failures of military tech? Military intervention? Military waste?

Sure, but that would be overplaying the joke.

The joke is naive people pointing to a couple failures, and dismissing one of the most successful agencies ever created.

Oh I'm sorry. Did you want me to be serious and note that $500,000,000 is a ridiculous sum of money to even be discussing? It is already funded to the tune of 15ish billion a year. We are discussing an increase of 33x which would make it 1/7th the entire US budget (of which the US lacks 1/7th of and is forced to currently borrow). Considering the ludicrous nature of the topic, my humourous interjection was much more reasonable than the very proposal being questioned.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:24:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/21/2015 7:22:26 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/21/2015 7:07:40 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/21/2015 7:05:55 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/21/2015 7:04:13 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:17:19 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:10:04 PM, Rezamee wrote:
What do you guys think? What would NASA do with a huge budget like that?

http://articles.latimes.com...

What me to show you links to all the failures of military tech? Military intervention? Military waste?

Sure, but that would be overplaying the joke.

The joke is naive people pointing to a couple failures, and dismissing one of the most successful agencies ever created.

Oh I'm sorry. Did you want me to be serious and note that $500,000,000 is a ridiculous sum of money to even be discussing? It is already funded to the tune of 15ish billion a year. We are discussing an increase of 33x which would make it 1/7th the entire US budget (of which the US lacks 1/7th of and is forced to currently borrow). Considering the ludicrous nature of the topic, my humourous interjection was much more reasonable than the very proposal being questioned.

Take it all out of military. They just fail at stuff anyway.