Total Posts:57|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Whoa

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 1:40:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 1:38:46 AM, Atheism wrote:
....Why is marijuana illegal, again?

Because it sends you to hell.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 1:44:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 1:38:46 AM, Atheism wrote:
....Why is marijuana illegal, again?

Dumb people like W in office. Then Obama trying to keep popularity.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 2:16:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

I heard its good for an anti-depressent and helps with eating disorders as well.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 2:18:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It would be the fuucking funniest thing in the world if it was found to be the cure for cancer somehow.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Pirate
Posts: 71
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:57:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

Let me tell you the story (true) about a guy who got visited by the cops the day after he raged on a forum about his mother, sister and girlfriend. It was really funny because i remember seeing the thread, and the day after seeing a "WTF" thread with him saying he got visited by the cops.

Just to say that the internet is not a privacy place. Be carefull with what you say.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:38:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
mfw drug legalizers don't understand that the effects of marijuana can be copied by a multitude of drugs effecting th eCNS in more mild ways.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 7:17:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 2:16:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

I heard its good for an anti-depressent and helps with eating disorders as well.

It's not a good anti-depressant. Because pot IS a natural depressant. However, it has sometimes been used (well, I believe cannabis) to help mania. But it can also be detrimental and invoke psychosis.... It's a crap-shoot. Word of advice, if you're depressed... stay away from the ganja. LOL

But eating disorders? Maybe if you had a super case of the munchies and HAD to eat... but they'd just throw it up afterwards. >.>
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 11:14:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Pot isnt banned for medicinal use though, yet you guys are speaking as if it were... People who are in chronic pain, people with Glaucoma, people with cancer, these guys are legally smoking pot.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 2:05:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:38:02 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
mfw drug legalizers don't understand that the effects of marijuana can be copied by a multitude of drugs effecting th eCNS in more mild ways.

In english, please?
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 2:09:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 11:14:25 AM, tkubok wrote:
Pot isnt banned for medicinal use though, yet you guys are speaking as if it were... People who are in chronic pain, people with Glaucoma, people with cancer, these guys are legally smoking pot.

Yeah and when a Republican gets elected to President they can and do legally recruit SWAT teams and raid marijuana clinics, treating patients like rapists and murderors. And what about those of us that want to smoke it recreationally?
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 12:02:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 7:17:35 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:16:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

I heard its good for an anti-depressent and helps with eating disorders as well.

It's not a good anti-depressant. Because pot IS a natural depressant. However, it has sometimes been used (well, I believe cannabis) to help mania. But it can also be detrimental and invoke psychosis.... It's a crap-shoot. Word of advice, if you're depressed... stay away from the ganja. LOL


Lol maybe. I just know that when my bf is depressed he usually makes someone get him pot and then he's not depressed. I also know that its apparently why my mom didn't kill herself at my age. If only...

But eating disorders? Maybe if you had a super case of the munchies and HAD to eat... but they'd just throw it up afterwards. >.>

Eh, idk what goes on in the minds of those with eating disorders so it might not fix anything. Unless they actually eat while high and when its cleared up they realize they like not starving.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 3:57:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:38:02 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
mfw drug legalizers don't understand that the effects of marijuana can be copied
Not as efficiently.
by a multitude of drugs effecting th eCNS in more mild ways.

Mfw you don't understand that when some of these drugs are taken at the same time, it may be deadly, while marijuana can cure these multitude of effects w/o taking other treatment.
Mfw you also don't understand that people may be allergic to some of these drugs.
Marijuana is also mild itself, and most, if not all of it's side-effects are mild and short-term.
I miss the old members.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 4:44:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 11:14:25 AM, tkubok wrote:
Pot isnt banned for medicinal use though, yet you guys are speaking as if it were... People who are in chronic pain, people with Glaucoma, people with cancer, these guys are legally smoking pot.

Not in every state.
President of DDO
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 4:47:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/21/2010 4:45:25 PM, theLwerd wrote:
In fact, tkbok, I'm pretty sure there are only 15 states that have legalized medical marijuana.

With the way things are going now, we are probably going to see even less.
I miss the old members.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 11:25:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/21/2010 4:47:49 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/21/2010 4:45:25 PM, theLwerd wrote:
In fact, tkbok, I'm pretty sure there are only 15 states that have legalized medical marijuana.

With the way things are going now, we are probably going to see even less.

Unless legalization (Cali will probs do it first) shows other states how much $$$ they can make from it. A state like Illinois, where I live now, is in so much debt (to the point where they stopped paying it back, because they simply can't) it's the BEST, or shall I say most feasible possible thing they could do to yield good economic results. Of course on the OFF chance they did this, I'd probs have moved back to the east coast by then :| Only 1 more year here - woo!
President of DDO
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 10:41:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do you know how much $$$ the war on drugs costs every year? How much has been spent from the get go? Between the courts & lawyers, the prisons, the police officers, the equipment, etc... http://www.drugsense.org...

The problem with legalizing drugs is where do we stop? Marijuana? Cocaine? Crack? Heroin? PCP? Extacy? Crank? Once that's figured out, to what degree is it legal? Do you have to be licensed or be a doctor to sell/prescribe it? Grow/manufacture it?

Then there's State's rights: do some states have the right to ban it? Can it be controlled/zoned by local jurisdictions?

Does anyone have some good answers?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 11:33:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/22/2010 10:41:08 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Do you know how much $$$ the war on drugs costs every year? How much has been spent from the get go? Between the courts & lawyers, the prisons, the police officers, the equipment, etc... http://www.drugsense.org...

More than you can imagine. You are also not considering the costs to society that are not capturable by the dollar-sign, i.e., the externalities stemming from lack of freedom and liberty, foreign affairs (e.g., Mexico), and the cultural effects.

The problem with legalizing drugs is where do we stop? Marijuana? Cocaine? Crack? Heroin? PCP? Extacy? Crank?

Not too much of a problem in my eyes; simply legalize everything. Any questions?

Once that's figured out, to what degree is it legal? Do you have to be licensed or be a doctor to sell/prescribe it? Grow/manufacture it?

None of the above. You see, as soon as you start putting these administrative/bureacratic mechanisms in place, people will just go back to their drug-dealers for it. Even in our current police-state of drug laws, it's very easy to get anything you need. Therefore, any activities to limit them will probably be just as useless then as they are now.

Then there's State's rights: do some states have the right to ban it? Can it be controlled/zoned by local jurisdictions?

Destroy the state.

Does anyone have some good answers?

Oh I am sure you won't find my answers good!

The fact is that people who want to use are going to use. Instead of actively trying to nanny them and police them, we need to give them the tools to help themselves instead. I've been through drug-rehabilitation programs before (state-ordered for marijuana, so pretty useless but interesting nonetheless) and from a social-work perspective, you cannot just force the drug-using intentions out of a person. People with diseases like drug-addiction, anarexia/bolemia, gambling, etc. cannot be dealt with through a head-on approach. Politicians and government attempt to enter areas like social work and science, and this causes many of the problems we face, because politicians are nothing more than state salesmen that are given the power of authority to make scientific and technical decisions that they have no business making.

The only viable solution, therefore, is to err on the side of the people and give them the freedom and liberty to take care of themselves. The state, if created, should only be a servant to the people - not a supervisor. If we can't have faith in the people to operate without a shephard, then we have lost these battles long ago and nothing we say or do here matters much anyway because we are doomed. But the real tragedy is that we do have the ability to be free and take care of ourselves without policing. Since we are utterly without faith (and I mean the real meaning of the word, not the hijacked meaning that organized religion uses which is quite the opposite of its true meaning), we create a vicious cycle in which we actually do need police because we are operating at such low moral efficiency.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 12:30:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 2:16:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

I heard its good for an anti-depressant and helps with eating disorders as well.

Maybe the eating disorder but I've always seen the opposite as an anti-depressant. I watched one of my wife's friends destroy her life and marriage but shutting life out with Mary Jane. It seemed like when everything got too much she would fire up and forget everything, which drove her not to care anymore and mess up her life. Now I'm not saying this in every case. I used to smoke everyday. But I guess it affects every person differently.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 1:17:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/22/2010 12:30:02 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:16:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

I heard its good for an anti-depressant and helps with eating disorders as well.

Maybe the eating disorder but I've always seen the opposite as an anti-depressant. I watched one of my wife's friends destroy her life and marriage but shutting life out with Mary Jane. It seemed like when everything got too much she would fire up and forget everything, which drove her not to care anymore and mess up her life. Now I'm not saying this in every case. I used to smoke everyday. But I guess it affects every person differently.
As an anti-depressant, marijuana is usually very good.
Your wife's friend might've been allergic (rare), or might've been one of the few who have a negative reaction for some underlying reason or another.
I miss the old members.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 2:48:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/22/2010 1:17:56 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/22/2010 12:30:02 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:16:17 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/19/2010 2:09:09 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, my mom uses Marijuana as a pain killer. It works well apparently.

I heard its good for an anti-depressant and helps with eating disorders as well.

Maybe the eating disorder but I've always seen the opposite as an anti-depressant. I watched one of my wife's friends destroy her life and marriage but shutting life out with Mary Jane. It seemed like when everything got too much she would fire up and forget everything, which drove her not to care anymore and mess up her life. Now I'm not saying this in every case. I used to smoke everyday. But I guess it affects every person differently.
As an anti-depressant, marijuana is usually very good.
Your wife's friend might've been allergic (rare), or might've been one of the few who have a negative reaction for some underlying reason or another.

No, that sounds typical... Marijuana definitely is going to have negative effects on your life if you don't keep it under control. That doesn't make it unique, however; for anything that can be used, there is a point where that use transforms into abuse if you don't moderate the activity.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Sam_Lowry
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 2:52:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/22/2010 10:41:08 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
The problem with legalizing drugs is where do we stop? Marijuana? Cocaine? Crack? Heroin? PCP? Ecstasy? Crank?

You don't stop.

Once that's figured out, to what degree is it legal?

Can buy it at CVS/Gas stations without prescription.

Do you have to be licensed or be a doctor to sell/prescribe it?

Nope.

Grow/manufacture it?

Depends on the drug. For the most part yes.

Then there's State's rights: do some states have the right to ban it? Can it be controlled/zoned by local jurisdictions?

Constitutionally they have that right. Doesn't mean that they should use it.

Does anyone have some good answers?

Any other questions? Clarifications?
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 3:15:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/22/2010 11:33:05 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
At 9/22/2010 10:41:08 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Do you know how much $$$ the war on drugs costs every year? How much has been spent from the get go? Between the courts & lawyers, the prisons, the police officers, the equipment, etc... http://www.drugsense.org...
More than you can imagine. You are also not considering the costs to society that are not capturable by the dollar-sign, i.e., the externalities stemming from lack of freedom and liberty, foreign affairs (e.g., Mexico), and the cultural effects.
Yup.

The problem with legalizing drugs is where do we stop? Marijuana? Cocaine? Crack? Heroin? PCP? Extacy? Crank?
Not too much of a problem in my eyes; simply legalize everything. Any questions?
That's nuts: practically anarchy.

Once that's figured out, to what degree is it legal? Do you have to be licensed or be a doctor to sell/prescribe it? Grow/manufacture it?
None of the above. You see, as soon as you start putting these administrative/bureacratic mechanisms in place, people will just go back to their drug-dealers for it.
Not so. People don't go to their illegal "alcohol dealer", do they? Answer: no. However, you do have a point, because it does depend on the cost & consequences involved: there is a certain balance to it. Nowadays, many people get their cigarettes illegally so that they don't have to pay taxes on them. I think a pack is close to $10 in NYC. I think the tax approach is good, only to a certain point; however, the most effective thing was banning smoking in public establishments. But this can get excessive too. Again, a balance.

Even in our current police-state of drug laws, it's very easy to get anything you need. Therefore, any activities to limit them will probably be just as useless then as they are now.
Well, it's not that easy and sometimes it's quite dangerous. Also, there are PLENTY of people that don't do drugs because they are illegal & because they'll loose their job. Probably a majority of people.

Then there's State's rights: do some states have the right to ban it? Can it be controlled/zoned by local jurisdictions?
Destroy the state.
No way. That's silly.

Does anyone have some good answers?
Oh I am sure you won't find my answers good!
You are correct!

The fact is that people who want to use are going to use.
Not true. There are plenty of people that are deterred by the consequences associated with drugs. People who want to kill are gonna kill, are you suggesting that murder should not illegal?

Instead of actively trying to nanny them and police them, we need to give them the tools to help themselves instead.
The problem isn't with those that can help themselves, it's with those that cannot.

I've been through drug-rehabilitation programs before (state-ordered for marijuana, so pretty useless but interesting nonetheless) and from a social-work perspective, you cannot just force the drug-using intentions out of a person.
That might be true in some cases, but legalizing drugs isn't going to help those people.

People with diseases like drug-addiction, anarexia/bolemia, gambling, etc. cannot be dealt with through a head-on approach.
Perhaps, but a hands-down would be much worse.

Politicians and government attempt to enter areas like social work and science, and this causes many of the problems we face, because politicians are nothing more than state salesmen that are given the power of authority to make scientific and technical decisions that they have no business making.
Well, I agree about the science part, and partially with the social work part.

The only viable solution, therefore, is to err on the side of the people and give them the freedom and liberty to take care of themselves. The state, if created, should only be a servant to the people - not a supervisor. If we can't have faith in the people to operate without a shephard, then we have lost these battles long ago and nothing we say or do here matters much anyway because we are doomed.
I certainly don't have faith in most people! So then we have lost long ago, but I wouldn't say that anything we say doesn't matter much. We are all headed to the inevitable target: the end. However, we can delay it as much as possible.

But the real tragedy is that we do have the ability to be free and take care of ourselves without policing. Since we are utterly without faith (and I mean the real meaning of the word, not the hijacked meaning that organized religion uses which is quite the opposite of its true meaning), we create a vicious cycle in which we actually do need police because we are operating at such low moral efficiency.
I disagree. I think the average dog is better than the average person and if there was no religion...it be even worse!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Sam_Lowry
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 3:39:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:38:02 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
mfw drug legalizers don't understand that the effects of marijuana can be copied by a multitude of drugs effecting th eCNS in more mild ways.

Like Marinol?
http://www.safeaccessnow.org...

At 9/22/2010 1:17:56 PM, Atheism wrote:
As an anti-depressant, marijuana is usually very good.

Maybe in low doses. If you have any sources that show anything else I'd be very interesting.