Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Why this next Star Wars movie is so important

BluePaul96
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 2:27:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Science fiction is commonly looked at as just some nerdy genre of filmography and literature. But it has been responsible for technological advances and human innovation over these last several decades. Big names like Star Wars and Star Trek are 2 very big examples of science fiction that have had a huge impact on mankinds hunger for knowledge, technology, and the dream of one day reaching the stars. It's debatable but I don't think we'd be at the point we are at now, where we are talking about colonizing mars, and searching for alien life and planets that may very well be home to future generations of humans if it weren't for the drive for human innovation and extraterrestrial exploration given to us by science fiction.

Aside from the fact that Star Wars is one of the greatest and most well known classic stories of recent times. This next trilogy is going to provide us a fuel for the next few decades of philosophical, technological, and explorational inspiration. And that's my biggest reason why they need to do these movies right. I personally don't like who we have behind the making of this movie. Sure, the director is something the Star Wars 7 will have going for it. But Disney and George Lucas are both of the brains behind the script writing. Can we really trust Lucas or Disney to deliver this time around? The prequel Trilogy written by Lucas was terrible, and the TV shows and video games created by Disney had MANY problems with them. I don't see how anyone could be comfortable with these two taking the helm for this next trilogy. It is undeniable that Disney and Lucas are responsible for very cringe-worthy Star Wars content in the last few years.

I think the biggest problem is how the audience they are targetting is children. I don't think we need to child proof everything in the Star Wars Universe like they've been doing in recent years. Of course reading this, you might think I am contradicting the main point of my thesis where I said that this films importance revolves around the inspiration this will give to mankind. I think the biggest lure the original trilogy had that gained the audience it has amassed over the years was the fact that it targetted all ages. The content was something that was child friendly while at the same time was something adults could take seriously. Nonetheless you can't deny that at whatever age you first watched these films at the storyline left you with a lot to think about. It was definitely not something geared towards childen but at the same time it's storyline wasn't so hard for children to grasp. Children aren't the only people this film needs to inspire. It is also the middle-schoolers, teenagers, and college students that will see this and want to further our understanding of science and technology so that we can uncover the secrets of the universe.

I mean from what we've seen so far the film looks promising in many respects. But at the same time just looking at the lightsaber in the trailers with two mini lightsaber prongs protruding from the hilt to give off this european broadsword look makes me feel like Disney has had too much creative control. I'm not just a sci-fi nerd, I am also a martial arts nerd. I love Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, all of the classic martial art movies and all that and also practice 2 martial arts myself. And looking at that lightsaber just makes me cringe. The european swords had those two grips coming out of the hilt to GRIP. I mean this idea is just so impractical. And if we're seeing this in the trailer alone it makes me wonder how many other cringe-inducing things we'll see in the full movie! At the end of the day we can do all the speculating we want, but when the movie comes out we'll know how it goes for certain. But overall I am really worried about the success of this movie because it can mean something great or horrible for the future of scientific development.

Feel free to challenge me and debunk anything I've said. I don't just come on here to prove people wrong, I welcome the people who can prove me wrong. Looking forward to the responses!
fettywap
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 7:13:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/15/2015 2:27:46 PM, BluePaul96 wrote:
Science fiction is commonly looked at as just some nerdy genre of filmography and literature. But it has been responsible for technological advances and human innovation over these last several decades. Big names like Star Wars and Star Trek are 2 very big examples of science fiction that have had a huge impact on mankinds hunger for knowledge, technology, and the dream of one day reaching the stars. It's debatable but I don't think we'd be at the point we are at now, where we are talking about colonizing mars, and searching for alien life and planets that may very well be home to future generations of humans if it weren't for the drive for human innovation and extraterrestrial exploration given to us by science fiction.

Aside from the fact that Star Wars is one of the greatest and most well known classic stories of recent times. This next trilogy is going to provide us a fuel for the next few decades of philosophical, technological, and explorational inspiration. And that's my biggest reason why they need to do these movies right. I personally don't like who we have behind the making of this movie. Sure, the director is something the Star Wars 7 will have going for it. But Disney and George Lucas are both of the brains behind the script writing. Can we really trust Lucas or Disney to deliver this time around? The prequel Trilogy written by Lucas was terrible, and the TV shows and video games created by Disney had MANY problems with them. I don't see how anyone could be comfortable with these two taking the helm for this next trilogy. It is undeniable that Disney and Lucas are responsible for very cringe-worthy Star Wars content in the last few years.

I think the biggest problem is how the audience they are targetting is children. I don't think we need to child proof everything in the Star Wars Universe like they've been doing in recent years. Of course reading this, you might think I am contradicting the main point of my thesis where I said that this films importance revolves around the inspiration this will give to mankind. I think the biggest lure the original trilogy had that gained the audience it has amassed over the years was the fact that it targetted all ages. The content was something that was child friendly while at the same time was something adults could take seriously. Nonetheless you can't deny that at whatever age you first watched these films at the storyline left you with a lot to think about. It was definitely not something geared towards childen but at the same time it's storyline wasn't so hard for children to grasp. Children aren't the only people this film needs to inspire. It is also the middle-schoolers, teenagers, and college students that will see this and want to further our understanding of science and technology so that we can uncover the secrets of the universe.

I mean from what we've seen so far the film looks promising in many respects. But at the same time just looking at the lightsaber in the trailers with two mini lightsaber prongs protruding from the hilt to give off this european broadsword look makes me feel like Disney has had too much creative control. I'm not just a sci-fi nerd, I am also a martial arts nerd. I love Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, all of the classic martial art movies and all that and also practice 2 martial arts myself. And looking at that lightsaber just makes me cringe. The european swords had those two grips coming out of the hilt to GRIP. I mean this idea is just so impractical. And if we're seeing this in the trailer alone it makes me wonder how many other cringe-inducing things we'll see in the full movie! At the end of the day we can do all the speculating we want, but when the movie comes out we'll know how it goes for certain. But overall I am really worried about the success of this movie because it can mean something great or horrible for the future of scientific development.

Feel free to challenge me and debunk anything I've said. I don't just come on here to prove people wrong, I welcome the people who can prove me wrong. Looking forward to the responses! : :

Without these types of movies and modern technology, it would have been impossible for our master programmer to teach me exactly how He created everything or how we'll experience the future.
BluePaul96
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 3:31:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/16/2015 9:05:14 AM, dee-em wrote:
Please BoG, control yourself. At least stay out of the Science forum or I'll be forced to report you.

I don't know how to edit this and put it in the entertainment section
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 3:58:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/16/2015 3:31:48 PM, BluePaul96 wrote:
At 10/16/2015 9:05:14 AM, dee-em wrote:
Please BoG, control yourself. At least stay out of the Science forum or I'll be forced to report you.

I don't know how to edit this and put it in the entertainment section

You should be able to just copy and paste your post and repost it in Entertainment. You may need to change a character of it to be allowed to post it, but IDK.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Posts: 6,481
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:49:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/16/2015 3:31:48 PM, BluePaul96 wrote:
At 10/16/2015 9:05:14 AM, dee-em wrote:
Please BoG, control yourself. At least stay out of the Science forum or I'll be forced to report you.

I don't know how to edit this and put it in the entertainment section

The comment above wasn't directed to you but to post #3, fettywap, which is a sock-puppet of a banned user named bornofgod (BoG).

Just copy and paste your OP as bsh1 said.
acapobianco
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 3:40:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Paul, nothing we have done with regards to technological advances and human innovation resembles star wars in any way. It was not star wars or any other science fiction story which truly inspired space exploration. Most of our exploration was a result of technological advances after World War Two and our competition with the Soviet Union during the cold war to determine who has rights to space and the moon. Star Wars and other sci-fi movies were so appealing in society because the graphics were unlike anything scene before not because they inspired space exploration.
It does not matter whether the new star wars appeals to children or adults. There is enough information, and plenty of other sci-fi movies which can offer some inspiration to explore space if that is what you believe. The reality is that not many who have explored space or pursue astronomy look at star wars for inspiration. They are more grounded in discovering what is beyond this world and not with how sci-fi applies to their discoveries.
BluePaul96
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 9:15:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
@Acapobianco
Never in this thread did I say that Star Wars or even Science Fiction as a whole was the sole progenitor of scientific thought and advances. It is true that during times of war each major sect of mankind has to kick it up a notch and develop new technology so that they have the upper hand and so that they don't lose face to other nations. But in times of peace, the pressure to compete with other countries' technology is very much alleviated. I'm mainly talking about how Science Fiction is our current source of inspiration for mankind to reach technological and explorational aspirations. I'm sure that what you've said about Russia still holds true today, and that there is still some competition out there for NASA. But the children nowadays aren't going to study their asses off and persevere through high school and college to become a scientist or astronaut just to compete with the rest of the world.

I also have to disagree with you when you say "Ehh there are other science fiction movies out there." We're talking Star Wars here. Star Wars and Star Trek are the two big names out there. There have been recent Sci-Fi series in the last few years that have tried to take the helm in the Science Fiction genre such as Doctor Who and the recent bunch of DC and Marvel reboots on the big screen and on TV. At least with me, all the people I know with scientific aspirations were and still are big Star Wars fans. I honestly don't think that Star Wars is a name that's going to get played out within the next few decades. The that continues to keep the big names like Star Wars and Star Trek in business is the fact that it's not a story that's only relative to the time in which it was written. It's literally a fictitious prediction of the future. And on this basis I can safely tell you right now that I will be an old man having a trilogy night with my grand children watching classics like Star Wars.