Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

No Hiatus in Global Warming

dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 12:59:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This year is set to be the hottest year on record by a wide margin according to NASA:

http://www.smh.com.au...

But it is 2015, which is packing an El Nino that is on track to match the record 1997-98, that looks set to blow away previous years of abnormal warmth.

NOAA data released overnight backs up how exceptional this year is in terms of warming, with September alone a full quarter of a degree above the corresponding month in 1997.

As the chart above shows, for the first nine months, 2015 has easily been the hottest year on record, with sunlight second.


The graph says it all really. The deniers have been clinging to a non-existent "hiatus" in global warming but even that will be taken out of their hands at the end of this year. What will they desperately pin their hopes on next, intervention by God?
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 1:04:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Another pertinent quote from the article:

Climate change sceptics will probably not concede in their battle to avoid action to curb emissions.

Satellite or meteorological data must have been manipulated, the oceans might be producing chemical compounds never detected before that counter carbon dioxide, or perhaps the sun is about to burn a lot less brightly.

Still, they now have one more inconvenient chart they have to find a reason to ignore.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 3:32:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm just saying: I'll probably be going outside in the summer 2036 to get my newspaper and thinking to myself "what nice weather today". Then I'll pick up the newspaper, which will say "2036 HOTTEST YEAR IN HUMAN HISTORY WE'RE ALL GONNA BURN!!!!!!"
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 4:25:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Air and ocean currents, among other factors, affect local temperatures. So it might be pretty normal where you are but several degrees hotter somewhere else. For instance, when the east coast was experiencing cooler weather than usual at the beginning of this year (when Inhofe brought his snowball onto the senate floor), here in Colorado we were having record breaking highs. This is why it's called GLOBAL warming or GLOBAL climate change. The average temperature for the globe is considered rather than just one localized extreme.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 5:02:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 4:39:48 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
It's Halloween, you are supposed to at least pretend to be scared vox.

Not for another 9 days. :)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 5:03:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 4:25:26 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Air and ocean currents, among other factors, affect local temperatures. So it might be pretty normal where you are but several degrees hotter somewhere else. For instance, when the east coast was experiencing cooler weather than usual at the beginning of this year (when Inhofe brought his snowball onto the senate floor), here in Colorado we were having record breaking highs. This is why it's called GLOBAL warming or GLOBAL climate change. The average temperature for the globe is considered rather than just one localized extreme.

Okay, fair enough.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:00:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are posting in good faith but are uneducated in these matters.

1) We are talking about average global temperature not weather in your particular locale. Now you dismissed data gathered by satellite, weather stations and other instruments as 'concocted'. I'm afraid there is no response anyone can make to that except to assume you are the buffoon who casts aspersions on scientists when it suits you. When there is a 'hiatus', you are perfectly fine with the data. When the data changes, well it's those evil scientists fudging the readings. What does such an attitude make you except a buffoon?

2) It is quite possible to be living in a part of the world where the average temperature over the year was cooler than previous years. There is nothing that says that the Earth will heat up evenly. We are talking about global average temperature over an entire year.

3) Are you capable of detecting an increase of a quarter of a degree celsius averaged over a year just by how hot it feels to your body when you go outside each day? You would be a marvel to medical science if that were the case. The temperature is going up gradually, incrementally, a fraction of a degree each year. That is not detectable by human senses especially averaged over 365 days.

There is an anecdote about putting a frog in boiling water and it will jump out immediately. However if you put the frog in cold water and heat it up to boiling very, very gradually, the frog will stay put and be cooked alive. This may not be a true story but it illustrates the idea. The climate change deniers are the frog. They think they will be able to detect the slowly rising temperature with their senses alone and bail out before it gets too hot. Lol.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:12:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 12:00:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are posting in good faith but are uneducated in these matters.

1) We are talking about average global temperature not weather in your particular locale. Now you dismissed data gathered by satellite, weather stations and other instruments as 'concocted'. I'm afraid there is no response anyone can make to that except to assume you are the buffoon who casts aspersions on scientists when it suits you. When there is a 'hiatus', you are perfectly fine with the data. When the data changes, well it's those evil scientists fudging the readings. What does such an attitude make you except a buffoon?

2) It is quite possible to be living in a part of the world where the average temperature over the year was cooler than previous years. There is nothing that says that the Earth will heat up evenly. We are talking about global average temperature over an entire year.

3) Are you capable of detecting an increase of a quarter of a degree celsius averaged over a year just by how hot it feels to your body when you go outside each day? You would be a marvel to medical science if that were the case. The temperature is going up gradually, incrementally, a fraction of a degree each year. That is not detectable by human senses especially averaged over 365 days.

There is an anecdote about putting a frog in boiling water and it will jump out immediately. However if you put the frog in cold water and heat it up to boiling very, very gradually, the frog will stay put and be cooked alive. This may not be a true story but it illustrates the idea. The climate change deniers are the frog. They think they will be able to detect the slowly rising temperature with their senses alone and bail out before it gets too hot. Lol.

So basically it's talking about average temperature. In that case, list some specific places where the temperature is rising and the proven cause is global warming.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 2:24:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 12:59:29 AM, dee-em wrote:
This year is set to be the hottest year on record by a wide margin according to NASA:

http://www.smh.com.au...

But it is 2015, which is packing an El Nino that is on track to match the record 1997-98, that looks set to blow away previous years of abnormal warmth.

NOAA data released overnight backs up how exceptional this year is in terms of warming, with September alone a full quarter of a degree above the corresponding month in 1997.

As the chart above shows, for the first nine months, 2015 has easily been the hottest year on record, with sunlight second.


The graph says it all really. The deniers have been clinging to a non-existent "hiatus" in global warming but even that will be taken out of their hands at the end of this year. What will they desperately pin their hopes on next, intervention by God?

Why do people such as yourself spread conspiracy theories on the internet? Scientists are just educated propaganda spreaders.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 4:05:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 1:12:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/23/2015 12:00:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are posting in good faith but are uneducated in these matters.

1) We are talking about average global temperature not weather in your particular locale. Now you dismissed data gathered by satellite, weather stations and other instruments as 'concocted'. I'm afraid there is no response anyone can make to that except to assume you are the buffoon who casts aspersions on scientists when it suits you. When there is a 'hiatus', you are perfectly fine with the data. When the data changes, well it's those evil scientists fudging the readings. What does such an attitude make you except a buffoon?

2) It is quite possible to be living in a part of the world where the average temperature over the year was cooler than previous years. There is nothing that says that the Earth will heat up evenly. We are talking about global average temperature over an entire year.

3) Are you capable of detecting an increase of a quarter of a degree celsius averaged over a year just by how hot it feels to your body when you go outside each day? You would be a marvel to medical science if that were the case. The temperature is going up gradually, incrementally, a fraction of a degree each year. That is not detectable by human senses especially averaged over 365 days.

There is an anecdote about putting a frog in boiling water and it will jump out immediately. However if you put the frog in cold water and heat it up to boiling very, very gradually, the frog will stay put and be cooked alive. This may not be a true story but it illustrates the idea. The climate change deniers are the frog. They think they will be able to detect the slowly rising temperature with their senses alone and bail out before it gets too hot. Lol.

So basically it's talking about average temperature. In that case, list some specific places where the temperature is rising and the proven cause is global warming.

Here we go around the mulberry bush again. He wants proof not compelling evidence. He wants weather not global climate change. Lol.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 4:06:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 2:24:48 AM, TheProphett wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:59:29 AM, dee-em wrote:
This year is set to be the hottest year on record by a wide margin according to NASA:

http://www.smh.com.au...

But it is 2015, which is packing an El Nino that is on track to match the record 1997-98, that looks set to blow away previous years of abnormal warmth.

NOAA data released overnight backs up how exceptional this year is in terms of warming, with September alone a full quarter of a degree above the corresponding month in 1997.

As the chart above shows, for the first nine months, 2015 has easily been the hottest year on record, with sunlight second.


The graph says it all really. The deniers have been clinging to a non-existent "hiatus" in global warming but even that will be taken out of their hands at the end of this year. What will they desperately pin their hopes on next, intervention by God?

Why do people such as yourself spread conspiracy theories on the internet? Scientists are just educated propaganda spreaders.

Nice one. :-)
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 4:05:48 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 1:12:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/23/2015 12:00:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are posting in good faith but are uneducated in these matters.

1) We are talking about average global temperature not weather in your particular locale. Now you dismissed data gathered by satellite, weather stations and other instruments as 'concocted'. I'm afraid there is no response anyone can make to that except to assume you are the buffoon who casts aspersions on scientists when it suits you. When there is a 'hiatus', you are perfectly fine with the data. When the data changes, well it's those evil scientists fudging the readings. What does such an attitude make you except a buffoon?

2) It is quite possible to be living in a part of the world where the average temperature over the year was cooler than previous years. There is nothing that says that the Earth will heat up evenly. We are talking about global average temperature over an entire year.

3) Are you capable of detecting an increase of a quarter of a degree celsius averaged over a year just by how hot it feels to your body when you go outside each day? You would be a marvel to medical science if that were the case. The temperature is going up gradually, incrementally, a fraction of a degree each year. That is not detectable by human senses especially averaged over 365 days.

There is an anecdote about putting a frog in boiling water and it will jump out immediately. However if you put the frog in cold water and heat it up to boiling very, very gradually, the frog will stay put and be cooked alive. This may not be a true story but it illustrates the idea. The climate change deniers are the frog. They think they will be able to detect the slowly rising temperature with their senses alone and bail out before it gets too hot. Lol.

So basically it's talking about average temperature. In that case, list some specific places where the temperature is rising and the proven cause is global warming.

Here we go around the mulberry bush again. He wants proof not compelling evidence. He wants weather not global climate change. Lol.

The idea that people cannot tell whenever a year is the hottest on record is wrong. People with a good enough memory are are able to tell that, say, 2008, was hotter than, say, 2007. That 2015 would be the hottest year on record and yet most people around the world could probably recall at least one hotter year is a bit out there.
You say that the Earth's average temperature is warming. The way that averages work is that any increase will slightly increase the temperature everywhere. Sure, certain areas might be cooler due to some other factors (though if I'm not mistaken, GW advocates tend to deny that any such natural temporary "counter-balance" is in effect), but if most people around the world (and believe me, there's people living permanently on all six continents and even Greenland) do not agree that this has been the hottest year, that excuse just won't work.
The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 9:47:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:05:48 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 1:12:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/23/2015 12:00:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are posting in good faith but are uneducated in these matters.

1) We are talking about average global temperature not weather in your particular locale. Now you dismissed data gathered by satellite, weather stations and other instruments as 'concocted'. I'm afraid there is no response anyone can make to that except to assume you are the buffoon who casts aspersions on scientists when it suits you. When there is a 'hiatus', you are perfectly fine with the data. When the data changes, well it's those evil scientists fudging the readings. What does such an attitude make you except a buffoon?

2) It is quite possible to be living in a part of the world where the average temperature over the year was cooler than previous years. There is nothing that says that the Earth will heat up evenly. We are talking about global average temperature over an entire year.

3) Are you capable of detecting an increase of a quarter of a degree celsius averaged over a year just by how hot it feels to your body when you go outside each day? You would be a marvel to medical science if that were the case. The temperature is going up gradually, incrementally, a fraction of a degree each year. That is not detectable by human senses especially averaged over 365 days.

There is an anecdote about putting a frog in boiling water and it will jump out immediately. However if you put the frog in cold water and heat it up to boiling very, very gradually, the frog will stay put and be cooked alive. This may not be a true story but it illustrates the idea. The climate change deniers are the frog. They think they will be able to detect the slowly rising temperature with their senses alone and bail out before it gets too hot. Lol.

So basically it's talking about average temperature. In that case, list some specific places where the temperature is rising and the proven cause is global warming.

Here we go around the mulberry bush again. He wants proof not compelling evidence. He wants weather not global climate change. Lol.

The idea that people cannot tell whenever a year is the hottest on record is wrong. People with a good enough memory are are able to tell that, say, 2008, was hotter than, say, 2007. That 2015 would be the hottest year on record and yet most people around the world could probably recall at least one hotter year is a bit out there.
You say that the Earth's average temperature is warming. The way that averages work is that any increase will slightly increase the temperature everywhere. Sure, certain areas might be cooler due to some other factors (though if I'm not mistaken, GW advocates tend to deny that any such natural temporary "counter-balance" is in effect), but if most people around the world (and believe me, there's people living permanently on all six continents and even Greenland) do not agree that this has been the hottest year, that excuse just won't work.
The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The frog has noticed nothing as predicted. This is so funny.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 10:34:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

So, taken to its logical conclusion, Venus is ideal for life?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 10:47:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 10:34:15 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

So, taken to its logical conclusion, Venus is ideal for life?

More like Cretaceous period minus Chicxulub of course.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 10:49:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We already have the technology to make a browner planet. It's called geoengineering.

http://en.wikipedia.org...(geoengineering)

Scientist wisely won't sign off on this, as they widely know a cold planet is a brown planet.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:04:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Also, this site provides a good counterbalance to Venus alarmists.

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org...

Now you can be horrified with silly claims from the opposite side. Equal opportunity alarmists.

Hopefully saner minds will realize there needs alot more research done and questions asked and answered before we decide to artificially and arbitrarily set an average global temperature.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:08:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 10:47:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:34:15 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

So, taken to its logical conclusion, Venus is ideal for life?

More like Cretaceous period minus Chicxulub of course.

You think a jungle planet with less usable land area is better for a species such as ourselves dependent on large-scale agricultural?

And anoxic events in the ocean don't bother you?

https://en.wikipedia.org...

A very gentle temperature gradient from the equator to the poles meant weaker global winds, contributing to less upwelling and more stagnant oceans than today. This is evidenced by widespread black shale deposition and frequent anoxic events.[18] Sediment cores show that tropical sea surface temperatures may have briefly been as warm as 42 "C (107 "F), 17 "C ( 31 "F) warmer than at present, and that they averaged around 37 "C (99 "F). Meanwhile, deep ocean temperatures were as much as 15 to 20 "C (27 to 36 "F) higher than today's.[19][20]

There goes most fishing as a food source.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:13:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 12:08:18 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:47:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:34:15 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

So, taken to its logical conclusion, Venus is ideal for life?

More like Cretaceous period minus Chicxulub of course.

You think a jungle planet with less usable land area is better for a species such as ourselves dependent on large-scale agricultural?

And anoxic events in the ocean don't bother you?

No , obviously we don't have enough tundra. Let's get those chemtrails going!
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:41:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 12:13:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 12:08:18 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:47:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:34:15 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

So, taken to its logical conclusion, Venus is ideal for life?

More like Cretaceous period minus Chicxulub of course.

You think a jungle planet with less usable land area is better for a species such as ourselves dependent on large-scale agricultural?

And anoxic events in the ocean don't bother you?

No , obviously we don't have enough tundra. Let's get those chemtrails going!

Wtf?
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:45:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

Wait wut
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
JMcKinley
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 3:18:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 1:12:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/23/2015 12:00:13 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 3:25:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 1:34:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:46:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/22/2015 10:10:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/22/2015 4:11:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The data concocted by scientists says one thing, but: how come this year doesn't feel any hotter than previous years?

OMG. Can I just pretend I didn't read this, for both our sakes?

It's not an invalid point. Wouldn't the hottest year on record be felt by anyone who went outside?

Stop it, you're killing me. Lol.

If what I'm saying is wrong, explain why. Otherwise you're just making a buffoon out of yourself.

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are posting in good faith but are uneducated in these matters.

1) We are talking about average global temperature not weather in your particular locale. Now you dismissed data gathered by satellite, weather stations and other instruments as 'concocted'. I'm afraid there is no response anyone can make to that except to assume you are the buffoon who casts aspersions on scientists when it suits you. When there is a 'hiatus', you are perfectly fine with the data. When the data changes, well it's those evil scientists fudging the readings. What does such an attitude make you except a buffoon?

2) It is quite possible to be living in a part of the world where the average temperature over the year was cooler than previous years. There is nothing that says that the Earth will heat up evenly. We are talking about global average temperature over an entire year.

3) Are you capable of detecting an increase of a quarter of a degree celsius averaged over a year just by how hot it feels to your body when you go outside each day? You would be a marvel to medical science if that were the case. The temperature is going up gradually, incrementally, a fraction of a degree each year. That is not detectable by human senses especially averaged over 365 days.

There is an anecdote about putting a frog in boiling water and it will jump out immediately. However if you put the frog in cold water and heat it up to boiling very, very gradually, the frog will stay put and be cooked alive. This may not be a true story but it illustrates the idea. The climate change deniers are the frog. They think they will be able to detect the slowly rising temperature with their senses alone and bail out before it gets too hot. Lol.

So basically it's talking about average temperature. In that case, list some specific places where the temperature is rising and the proven cause is global warming.

The cause is not global warming because global warming is not a cause to start with. Its an effect. Its a result. Its the symptom. The cause is human industrial and agricultural activity, primarily the release of greenhouse gases.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 4:17:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 1:45:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/23/2015 10:17:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/23/2015 4:23:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The conclusion one draws from this is that the average person is simply unable to witness any of the effects of global warming despite the fact that they should be able to. The only place that we're witnessing any real evidence of this appears to be data released from laboratories. The public has to simply trust whatever the *expletive* they say.

The data pretty much shows warming is happening. The real deniers are the ones who refuse to believe any possible good could come from a warmer planet, or that a warmer planet could possibly sustain more green biomass. A warmer planet is a brown planet by default, and you can't challenge this.

Wait wut

yep.