Jump to topic:

Scientists say "Don't rake your leaves"

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 9:44:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Next time your annoying neighbor tells you to rake your leaves, show them this article: http://www.usatoday.com...

"SEATTLE, Wash. -- Here's an excuse to use the next time someone asks you to rake the leaves: Science.

The National Wildlife Federation is encouraging people to leave the leaves.

On its website, the NWF says dry, dead leaves are important habitats for all kinds of critters, reports KING.

Butterflies, salamanders, chipmunks, box turtles, toads, shrews, earthworms, and other creatures live, lay eggs in or eat from leaves, according to NWF's plea with the public to let the leaves stay where gravity left them.

"I care about the lifer cycle of all the insects that live in my yard," said Sarah Moore of the Pacific Science Center's indoor butterfly garden. "I want to be a habitat."

Butterflies begin in leaves as larvae.Moore says she never rakes her leaves at home.

Another scientist at the University of Washington Arboretum says he rarely rakes.

"It changes the habitat," said Randall Hitchin, who showed us all the insects that live in a pile of leaves. "It makes it unfriendly for them."
"
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 5:00:48 AM
At 11/3/2015 9:44:32 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Next time your annoying neighbor tells you to rake your leaves, show them this article: http://www.usatoday.com...

"SEATTLE, Wash. -- Here's an excuse to use the next time someone asks you to rake the leaves: Science.

On its website, the NWF says dry, dead leaves are important habitats for all kinds of critters, reports KING.

Butterflies, salamanders, chipmunks, box turtles, toads, shrews, earthworms, and other creatures live, lay eggs in or eat from leaves, according to NWF's plea with the public to let the leaves stay where gravity left them.

"I care about the lifer cycle of all the insects that live in my yard," said Sarah Moore of the Pacific Science Center's indoor butterfly garden. "I want to be a habitat."

Butterflies begin in leaves as larvae.Moore says she never rakes her leaves at home.

Another scientist at the University of Washington Arboretum says he rarely rakes.

"It changes the habitat," said Randall Hitchin, who showed us all the insects that live in a pile of leaves. "It makes it unfriendly for them."
"

Why would I want my yard to be a haven for insects? Many insects are pests. Butterflies and moths start as caterpillars which can eat my vegetables.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 6:43:16 AM
At 11/4/2015 5:00:48 AM, dee-em wrote:

"

Why would I want my yard to be a haven for insects? Many insects are pests. Butterflies and moths start as caterpillars which can eat my vegetables.

This. Also, leaves left through the winter under the snow end up killing your grass. Maybe this is good advice for parks, but it's terrible for homeowners.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 12:51:03 AM
In other news, "Don't leave your rakes", the Surgeon-General didn't warn.

Fall is a time in which implements carelessly left around the garden can cause an unexpected trip to the hospital. Rakes, gardening-forks, engine-blocks, and even spools of barbed wire hidden by piles of fallen leaves can cause much hilarity among triage nurses in A&E.

But it's not all fun and games, as competing public safety and environmental concerns haven't triggered clashes between environmentalists and lobbyists for the National Leaf-Blowers Association.

"We believe leaf-blowers are covered by our Second Amendment Rights", Tommy Strawman, not the president of the Virginia chapter of NLBA, didn't say. "And we have the right to protect our homes and our children from the security menace of those dang leaves."

But Melinda Chardonnay, not the PR officer for Brownpeace -- a nonexistent conservation group unconcerned about the destruction of transient Autumn habitat, doesn't reject this view. She isn't adamant that more education and regulation are the answer.

"Rednecks ought to just pick up after themselves better in the summer," she didn't tell our reporter. "More government control of leaf-blowers, and the introduction of Domestic Tidiness into the homeschooling curriculum could save untold amounts of human injury and destruction of these precious, short-term insect habitats."

A Congressional Inquiry into the national security implications of garden mulch isn't scheduled to sit until February 2016.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:39:19 AM
At 11/5/2015 12:51:03 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
In other news, "Don't leave your rakes", the Surgeon-General didn't warn.

Fall is a time in which implements carelessly left around the garden can cause an unexpected trip to the hospital. Rakes, gardening-forks, engine-blocks, and even spools of barbed wire hidden by piles of fallen leaves can cause much hilarity among triage nurses in A&E.

But it's not all fun and games, as competing public safety and environmental concerns haven't triggered clashes between environmentalists and lobbyists for the National Leaf-Blowers Association.

"We believe leaf-blowers are covered by our Second Amendment Rights", Tommy Strawman, not the president of the Virginia chapter of NLBA, didn't say. "And we have the right to protect our homes and our children from the security menace of those dang leaves."

But Melinda Chardonnay, not the PR officer for Brownpeace -- a nonexistent conservation group unconcerned about the destruction of transient Autumn habitat, doesn't reject this view. She isn't adamant that more education and regulation are the answer.

"Rednecks ought to just pick up after themselves better in the summer," she didn't tell our reporter. "More government control of leaf-blowers, and the introduction of Domestic Tidiness into the homeschooling curriculum could save untold amounts of human injury and destruction of these precious, short-term insect habitats."

A Congressional Inquiry into the national security implications of garden mulch isn't scheduled to sit until February 2016.

Ruv, you've outdone yourself. Brilliant.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 10:05:17 PM
http://www.smbc-comics.com...
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 8:58:02 AM

"

Don't bag you lawnr mower, use the back and forth method and leave the grass on the lawn. But a leafs deterioration ratee is too slow to leave them on the lawn, as someone said it would kill the grass, and I smoke some of my grass so I want it to grow.