Jump to topic:

Electromagnetic Spectrum usefulness?

Kettacks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:58:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am working on a project for school, and it requires opinions from other people on a social website. So I just need help with this: Compare and contrast the different parts of the Electromagnetic Spectrum. Evaluate the usefulness of each part and decide which part is most useful, or most important, to you and society as a whole. It would be great if I could get some people to help!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 7:47:12 PM
At 11/5/2015 9:58:30 AM, Kettacks wrote:
I am working on a project for school, and it requires opinions from other people on a social website. So I just need help with this: Compare and contrast the different parts of the Electromagnetic Spectrum. Evaluate the usefulness of each part and decide which part is most useful, or most important, to you and society as a whole. It would be great if I could get some people to help!

Infrared. The most important contribution is that my tv channel can be changed without getting up from the couch.

Then came the microwave, got to love the microwave. However since we are visual creatures, the visible spectrum is a best. Trillions of dollars of industries are based upon our brains interpreting visible light, from lipstick to photography to computer monitors.

Without sight we would probably find mates based upon compatibility. We wouldn't judge people for their looks. We would have never created a perfect red tomato with no taste. Heck there probably would not even be any wars. No I think about it we would be better off not having the visible spectrum and should begin to remove the eyes of all newborns immediately to start making the world a better place.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 7:51:38 PM
sorry that was not very helpful.

Microwave- communication
Ultra violet - anti microbial sterilization
xrays for CT scanners and xray machines revolutionalize health monitoring and diagnosis
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 9:48:26 PM
At 11/5/2015 9:58:30 AM, Kettacks wrote:

Hi Kettacks,

The visible spectrum (390-70 nanometres wavelength) is not just used by humans to see: plants also use it to photosynthesise, thus providing our planet with breathable oxygen. Without the visible spectrum, there would be no life on earth. [http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...]

The ultra-violet spectrum is also useful in the production of Vitamin D in humans (useful for calcium metablisation and immunology) and reptiles (bone and egg production), but I think the visible spectrum is biologically essential.

Good luck with your project!
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 7:18:06 PM
I don't know what wrong with kids these days - back in my day had to do our own googling or be soundly thrashed by the master.

Found this on the BBC (patriotic fanfare!).
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 1:29:38 AM
At 11/7/2015 7:18:06 PM, kp98 wrote:
I don't know what wrong with kids these days - back in my day had to do our own googling or be soundly thrashed by the master.

Found this on the BBC (patriotic fanfare!).
http://www.bbc.co.uk...

He did say this:

I am working on a project for school, and it requires opinions from other people on a social website.

It sounds like a science essay but what science teacher would ask for opinions from a social website? Something fishy here.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 8:01:59 PM
what science teacher would ask for opinions from a social website

What sort of social web site compares the usefulness of the e-m spectrum? Are there flame wars between infra-red fans and gamma-ray geeks, complete with charges of 'You moron' and 'where's your evidence, n00b'? The idea of people arguing over e-m waves is nonsense because ultraviolet is obviously best, and if you don't agree you're stupid.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:32:48 AM
At 11/8/2015 8:01:59 PM, kp98 wrote:
what science teacher would ask for opinions from a social website

What sort of social web site compares the usefulness of the e-m spectrum? Are there flame wars between infra-red fans and gamma-ray geeks, complete with charges of 'You moron' and 'where's your evidence, n00b'? The idea of people arguing over e-m waves is nonsense because ultraviolet is obviously best, and if you don't agree you're stupid.

Lol.

He hasn't even been back to check the thread from what I can see.