First likely habitable planet found

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:41:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.cbc.ca...

Apparently, astronomers in California have found what they believe could be a habitable plant orbiting the star Gliese 581 (http://en.wikipedia.org...), which is about 20 light-years away from Earth. The planet, called "planet g," is between 1.2 to 1.4 times Earth mass, and is "tidally locked" with Gliese 581, meaning that one side is always facing the Sun, and one side always dark, so one side always hot, the other side perpetually cold. Scientists suspect that, regard, water could still work on the planet, and that a human-habitable zone straddling the light and dark sides could exist.

Another funny thing is that a radio message from Earth is due to arrive there in 2029, so if there is life, we don't have to wait too long for a response. Not even a lifetime, actually.

So, what does everyone think?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:47:17 AM
At 9/30/2010 9:41:47 AM, Volkov wrote:

Apparently, astronomers in California have found what they believe could be a habitable plant orbiting the star Gliese 581 (http://en.wikipedia.org...), which is about 20 light-years away from Earth. The planet, called "planet g," is between 1.2 to 1.4 times Earth mass, and is "tidally locked" with Gliese 581, meaning that one side is always facing the Sun, and one side always dark, so one side always hot, the other side perpetually cold. Scientists suspect that, regard, water could still work on the planet, and that a human-habitable zone straddling the light and dark sides could exist.

Another funny thing is that a radio message from Earth is due to arrive there in 2029, so if there is life, we don't have to wait too long for a response. Not even a lifetime, actually.

I aprove
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:08:05 AM

maybe we already have. or the Vatican anyway. I saw this History channel show on the history of aliens and UFO stuff and insinuated that the pope must know something we don't to all of a sudden say You could believe in aliens and God and it not be contradictory or anything. so maybe they sent out a radio signal earlier than the known radio signal. and got word back from that planet.

granted that is just a unprovable conspiracy theory but it would be interesting if that were true.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:16:20 AM
Unfortunately, even if there is life on the planet and they respond we won't receive the reply until 2049...

Say we did get a signal from the planet though - I wonder how the Bible-bashers would explain that one away?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:19:27 AM
I read about this today.

It is very fascinating and I certainly hope that we find more about it. It would be interesting to see if there is any form of life out there - and I am sure that it is different in many ways to anything that we know of.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:39:51 AM
At 9/30/2010 10:16:20 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Unfortunately, even if there is life on the planet and they respond we won't receive the reply until 2049...

Say we did get a signal from the planet though - I wonder how the Bible-bashers would explain that one away?

First that is a statement not a question. Second I would assume something like "what is the probability that we are the only intelligent life?" Plus a whole bunch of science and math and sh*t I couldn't care less about. All I know is I never believed earth to be the only inhabited planet.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:52:33 AM
Habitable for us, just means that there is presence of liquid water.

There are still many hurdles to pass for us to find life on other planets. But i suppose its worth a shot.
slaad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:38:38 AM

Probably much like anything else. Some (likely very few at first) would accept it and rationalize it by changing their beliefs slightly so that it fits in. Probably most would question its authenticity by saying it wasn't sent by aliens.

Eventually, there would be a group that would categorize it with dinosaur bones and say that the signal was sent from god to question our faith.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:46:39 AM
At 9/30/2010 10:46:18 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Why do we assume that this other civilization would have similar or more advanced technology than we?

O.o

We're assuming there's a civilisation on this planet?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:48:14 AM

Why would it matter...?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:48:49 AM

If it's 20 light years away they may been listening to our signals for years.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:52:24 AM

So it's stationary? And you refer to "the sun"; I would hope our galaxy isn't that extensive and that it has a different sun :P. And given that it has its own solar system, I would assume it isn't stationary and that it orbits. Therefore it would have 4 seasons in which the areas rotate. You have vertical quadrants 1 - 4 and seasons a - d; in season a you have all sun, season b you straddle light and dark, c is all dark and d is straddling it. Every time period defined by one of the seasons will mean that 1 - 4, as they originally correspond to a - d, will then become

1 2 3 4
b c d a

then

1 2 3 4
c d a b

etc.

I find problems with the possibility provided, but nonetheless it is very interesting. Oh, and you said the radio message would arrive by 2029 to there. What if

1) They don't have the tech to receive it?
2) They don't have the tech to send messages that far, or locate where they came from?
3) We miss? :P
4) Even if it does arrive and they send one back, it would take twice the time you propose for us to find out because 19 years is one way; we need the round trip.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:58:17 AM
At 9/30/2010 11:49:52 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
We should send lovelife there.

Assuming there is food and oxygen, and the waer system works fine then I'd love to go there. I'd have to bring someone to cook tho.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 3:13:34 PM

Is it possible to make it...spin?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 4:20:09 PM
At 9/30/2010 11:52:24 AM, m93samman wrote:
So it's stationary?

It does not rotate on an axis - it orbits, however. Like the Moon is with Earth, the planet is tidally locked with Gliese 581 - one side will always face Gliese 581, while the other will not.

; And you refer to "the sun"; I would hope our galaxy isn't that extensive and that it has a different sun :P.

Simple mistake on my part.

1) They don't have the tech to receive it?
2) They don't have the tech to send messages that far, or locate where they came from?
3) We miss? :P
4) Even if it does arrive and they send one back, it would take twice the time you propose for us to find out because 19 years is one way; we need the round trip.

This goes for Cody as well - it's just a funny tidbit to add on to the entire subject. Please do not take everything so seriously.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 7:24:34 PM
At 9/30/2010 4:20:09 PM, Volkov wrote:
So it's stationary?

It does not rotate on an axis - it orbits, however. Like the Moon is with Earth, the planet is tidally locked with Gliese 581 - one side will always face Gliese 581, while the other will not.

it does rotate. if it didn't the same face wouldn't always be to the center, it would always be facing some fixed point in space. when astronomers say an orbit is tidally locked, they just mean that the rotation and orbit have settled to the same rate.

see!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 7:25:10 PM
At 9/30/2010 7:24:34 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/30/2010 4:20:09 PM, Volkov wrote:
So it's stationary?

it does rotate. if it didn't the same face wouldn't always be to the center, it would always be facing some fixed point in space. when astronomers say an orbit is tidally locked, they just mean that the rotation and orbit have settled to the same period

see!

same period, not same rate. my bad
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 7:27:02 PM

Mormons already assume that God made other worlds with life too.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 7:59:43 PM
At 9/30/2010 7:27:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

And that you can become god of them.
wush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 12:53:25 AM
don't scientist realize that a life form does not necessarily have the same needs as of those on earth?
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
slaad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 6:53:54 AM
At 10/1/2010 12:53:25 AM, wush wrote:
don't scientist realize that a life form does not necessarily have the same needs as of those on earth?

They do, but since the conditions that brought about life on this planet are the only conditions that we know can do so, that is what they look for.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:14:02 AM
At 10/1/2010 12:53:25 AM, wush wrote:

they've considered other substances, such as ethanol, to be the basis for life as well, but water is just so perfect for the job it seems more likely. also it makes sense to look for lifeforms at least somewhat similar to us because otherwise we'd have no f*cking clue what we were looking for and no way to know when we've found it.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:25:34 AM
At 10/1/2010 9:22:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
How can scientists tell the atmosphere of a planet outside of our view?

with telescopes! they can analyze the light that reaches us from the planet... by examining the spectrum they can determine the composition of the atmosphere.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:37:27 AM
At 9/30/2010 7:59:43 PM, lovelife wrote:

That's what all those children get pumped out for. Whoever makes the most gets the best planet. ^_^.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:43:34 AM
At 10/1/2010 9:37:27 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 9/30/2010 7:59:43 PM, lovelife wrote:

That's what all those children get pumped out for. Whoever makes the most gets the best planet. ^_^.

Lmao, its just so perfect, lets all be mormon! lol