Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Nothing is solid and everything is energy.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:13:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a claim I saw made today while scrolling through my facebook feed and I'm wondering if it's actually true or not. I know nothing about physics, I know nothing about quantum physics, and everytime I tried a google search I was only met with alternative news sites.

Are there any valid, published studies from quantum physicists who actually prove that nothing is solid and everything is energy?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:36:28 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:13:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
This is a claim I saw made today while scrolling through my facebook feed and I'm wondering if it's actually true or not. I know nothing about physics, I know nothing about quantum physics, and everytime I tried a google search I was only met with alternative news sites.

Are there any valid, published studies from quantum physicists who actually prove that nothing is solid and everything is energy?

I wonder the same thing. I know I saw the guy in "The Secret" say so and he's a quantum physicist. I know I saw quantum physicists, say he's a quack for some of the conclusions he jumps to, but nobody really criticized him for saying "it's all energy", only that the fact that it's all energy means we can manipulate the energy with merely our thoughts.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 8:12:39 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:36:28 PM, Wylted wrote:

I wonder the same thing. I know I saw the guy in "The Secret" say so and he's a quantum physicist. I know I saw quantum physicists, say he's a quack for some of the conclusions he jumps to, but nobody really criticized him for saying "it's all energy", only that the fact that it's all energy means we can manipulate the energy with merely our thoughts.

First off, congrats on the baby bro :)

But yeah, I hear it all the time but have yet to see any actual proof for these claims. I'd love if it was true because it'd justify what Tesla had been saying his whole life.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 8:24:52 PM
It might be that our classifications aren't right, BoT.

You're might already aware that matter and energy need each other to define each other, in the sense that we observe energy by the changes it works on matter, and detect matter by seeing how it alters and is altered by energy.

You may also be aware that most of the mass in atoms is concentrated at the nucleus, and that most of the space occupied by atoms and between atoms is empty, and shaped by the interplay of electromagnetic and other forces -- so even in a universe of matter, much of the space occupied by material objects is shaped by the forces between mass, rather than the mass itself.

You'd also be aware that matter has mass, and that mass and energy have an equivalence via the E=mc^2 formula. Yet we're used to mass staying mass and energy staying energy except under rare and isolated circumstances, like nuclear reactions.

However, it has also been observed that in high electromagnetic fields, energy can occasionally, spontaneously become matter and antimatter -- e.g. [http://arxiv.org...]. It has also been speculated that vacuum isn't 'empty' but is in fact matter/antimatter smooshed together, constantly separating annihilating itself in incredibly brief, tiny bursts. [https://en.wikipedia.org...]

Another relevant facet is that we often think of energy acting as waves and matter acting as particles. Yet matter can act as waves and energy can act as particles, and while this is most commonly observed on tiny scales, the scale of such duality observations is growing -- now reaching molecular levels. [http://arxiv.org...]

So I wonder at what point the distinction between mass and energy -- so intuitive when we think in human scales -- will have exceeded its shelf-life. When we won't want to say that the universe is matter altered by energy, or energy that sometimes manifests as matter -- but that it's a third thing which can manifest as either.

Superstring theory seems an attempt to do that, but it's also often criticised as being non-empirical in the sense of offering no clear experiments for falsification. But attempts to unify the various fundamental physical forces continue, and may overturn our notions of matter and energy too.

I hope that may help.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 9:26:32 PM

Or our definitions? What is energy (or what is mass) anyway? We are forced to use words without knowing exactly what we mean by them - gravity for instance. For a long time people would have said it was a force, but now we are supposed to think of it as curved space-time (but I can't help thinking of it as a force!).

btw, the word 'Gravity' has a (fairly) interesting history. Originally it wasn't even thought of as a force - it was a property of the elements earth and water that caused them to fall. In contrast air and fire had the property of 'levity' that caused them to rise. That charming concept of gravity held sway for much longer than any other theory of gravity since! (and lives on in the meaning of 'gravity' as 'serious' and levity as humour)

So if it turns out that energy and mass are - in fact - nothing like what we think they are (whatever that is!), I wouldn't be too surprised. In two thousand years our present understanding of the world might seem as quaint as that of the ancient Greeks.... pity we won't be around to see!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 9:52:04 PM
At 11/23/2015 8:12:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

But yeah, I hear it all the time but have yet to see any actual proof for these claims. I'd love if it was true because it'd justify what Tesla had been saying his whole life.

I think that quantum physics is a psuedo science. They say a bunch of bizzar stuff, and it's all theory that unfalsifiable and odd.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 12:21:48 AM

Solidity is indeed an illusion except perhaps in a neutron star.

http://www.theguardian.com...

The atoms that make up your body are mostly empty space, so despite there being so many of them, without that space you would compress into a tiny volume. The nucleus that makes up the vast bulk of the matter in an atom is so much smaller than the whole structure that it is comparable to the size of a fly in a cathedral. If you lost all your empty atomic space, your body would fit into a cube less than 1/500th of a centimetre on each side. Neutron stars are made up of matter that has undergone exactly this kind of compression. In a single cubic centimetre of neutron star material there are around 100m tons of matter. An entire neutron star, heavier than our sun, occupies a sphere that is roughly the size across of the Isle of Wight.

What we think of as being solid is actually the chemical bonds between atoms of a material which are strong enough to prevent another material penetrating. You can't push your finger through a piece of wood for example. However, if you got yourself a chisel and a hammer you could concentrate enough force in a small area to break those bonds.

By rights we should all sink to the centre of the Earth due to the pull of gravity. The only thing that prevents it is the material of the floor or the ground you are on. The electrostatic bonds between the atoms is much, much stronger than the weak pull of gravity.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 12:32:46 AM
At 11/23/2015 8:24:52 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

You're might already aware that matter and energy need each other to define each other, in the sense that we observe energy by the changes it works on matter, and detect matter by seeing how it alters and is altered by energy.

You may also be aware that most of the mass in atoms is concentrated at the nucleus, and that most of the space occupied by atoms and between atoms is empty, and shaped by the interplay of electromagnetic and other forces -- so even in a universe of matter, much of the space occupied by material objects is shaped by the forces between mass, rather than the mass itself.

You'd also be aware that matter has mass, and that mass and energy have an equivalence via the E=mc^2 formula. Yet we're used to mass staying mass and energy staying energy except under rare and isolated circumstances, like nuclear reactions.

However, it has also been observed that in high electromagnetic fields, energy can occasionally, spontaneously become matter and antimatter -- e.g. [http://arxiv.org...]. It has also been speculated that vacuum isn't 'empty' but is in fact matter/antimatter smooshed together, constantly separating annihilating itself in incredibly brief, tiny bursts. [https://en.wikipedia.org...]

Smooshed. I love it. :-)

Another relevant facet is that we often think of energy acting as waves and matter acting as particles. Yet matter can act as waves and energy can act as particles, and while this is most commonly observed on tiny scales, the scale of such duality observations is growing -- now reaching molecular levels. [http://arxiv.org...]

So I wonder at what point the distinction between mass and energy -- so intuitive when we think in human scales -- will have exceeded its shelf-life. When we won't want to say that the universe is matter altered by energy, or energy that sometimes manifests as matter -- but that it's a third thing which can manifest as either.

I'm not sure we need a third thing. I prefer to think that energy has primacy and that matter is locked up or constrained energy. I have no rationale for this though except that this was the initial state of the universe and might end up being the final state when all matter (even protons?) has decayed.

Superstring theory seems an attempt to do that, but it's also often criticised as being non-empirical in the sense of offering no clear experiments for falsification. But attempts to unify the various fundamental physical forces continue, and may overturn our notions of matter and energy too.

I hope that may help.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 12:58:53 AM
At 11/24/2015 12:32:46 AM, dee-em wrote:
I wonder at what point the distinction between mass and energy -- so intuitive when we think in human scales -- will have exceeded its shelf-life. When we won't want to say that the universe is matter altered by energy, or energy that sometimes manifests as matter -- but that it's a third thing which can manifest as either.

I'm not sure we need a third thing.
Me either. :)

I prefer to think that energy has primacy and that matter is locked up or constrained energy. I have no rationale for this though except that this was the initial state of the universe and might end up being the final state when all matter (even protons?) has decayed.
We can't be sure it was an initial state. We just know it's the earliest state we can make sense of using the information we can observe. But part of the reason our inferences taper out there is that we still lean heavily on matter-states for information. But the more we can observe stuff without discernable mass (vacuum, say) producing information, the less we may depend on persistent matter to tell us what's going on.

Eventually, energy alone might be the best description: I don't know it won't be. But my sense is that when an ontology gets cluttered (as it did with 'luminiferous aether' before relativity), it's often a sign that there's a better, less cluttered ontology waiting to be devised. That's not meant to be a comment about the universe, so much as about the way we sometimes work too hard fitting triangular pegs to hexagonal holes. :D
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:35:51 PM
Energy has form, it's comprised of Particles of Matter and qualifies as a Magnetic Fluid, which molecularly qualifies as a Solid, so the statement fails.

Everything is Energy or a conduit for Energy but saying nothing is Solid, is stoopid. ;)

Even the Apple explained that to Newton when it hit him on the head. ;)

Ribbit :)
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:38:29 PM

Thought can manipulate energy, it just takes more brain power than the average human is capable of but a Godhead wouldn't have a problem.

chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:39:11 PM
At 11/25/2015 4:35:51 PM, Toad-Uoff wrote:
Energy has form, it's comprised of Particles of Matter and qualifies as a Magnetic Fluid, which molecularly qualifies as a Solid, so the statement fails.

Everything is Energy or a conduit for Energy but saying nothing is Solid, is stoopid. ;)

Even the Apple explained that to Newton when it hit him on the head. ;)

Novel - a trolling toad.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:40:16 PM
At 11/23/2015 9:52:04 PM, Wylted wrote:

I think that quantum physics is a psuedo science. They say a bunch of bizzar stuff, and it's all theory that unfalsifiable and odd.

You are suffering from the Dunning Kruger effect.
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:38:52 AM
The universe is made of dots. As you approach these dots they break up into millions of smaller dots. Then, as you approach those smaller dots, they too, break up into millions of even smaller dots. This goes on to infinity in both directions both inwards and outwards. I hope I have clarified the universe for you now. lol
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 3:35:13 AM

I hope that may help.

This was a great response and did indeed help! Thank you :)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:47:02 PM
At 11/27/2015 3:35:13 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I wonder at what point the distinction between mass and energy -- so intuitive when we think in human scales -- will have exceeded its shelf-life. When we won't want to say that the universe is matter altered by energy, or energy that sometimes manifests as matter -- but that it's a third thing which can manifest as either.

I hope that may help.

This was a great response and did indeed help! Thank you :)

I'm glad, BoT! :D It's a long way from substantiating claims of people like Deepak Chopra (that everything is energy and subject to perception and therefore altered by will -- he's speaking pseudoscientifically and beyond his own expertise), but it's still interesting to realise that some fundamental intuitions most comfortable to us may not be true at all. :D
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 2:11:43 AM

You'd also be aware that matter has mass, and that mass and energy have an equivalence via the E=mc^2 formula.

E=mc^2 is only valid with uncompressible matter or when the matter is subjected to 1 ATM/BAR pressure or less.

When you increase the pressure, by compressing compressible matter, the energy output increases.

So E=mc^2 is a Closed System Law of One equation and it fails when it comes to Open System Laws, as does the other Closed System Laws that are prevailing on this planet.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 4:35:08 PM

Translation: "I don't understand science, so it must be crap."
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 4:42:34 PM
At 11/29/2015 2:11:43 AM, Toad-Uoff wrote:

You'd also be aware that matter has mass, and that mass and energy have an equivalence via the E=mc^2 formula.

E=mc^2 is only valid with uncompressible matter or when the matter is subjected to 1 ATM/BAR pressure or less.

When you increase the pressure, by compressing compressible matter, the energy output increases.

So E=mc^2 is a Closed System Law of One equation and it fails when it comes to Open System Laws, as does the other Closed System Laws that are prevailing on this planet.

The only thing that isn't gibberish in your post is "Ribbit".

The formula shows the equivalence of mass and energy when it is transformed from one state to the other by a factor of C^2, which is the speed of light squared. This would show that a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy and it shows it takes a large amount of energy to produce a small amount of mass. That's it.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:57:07 PM
At 11/29/2015 4:35:08 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Nobody understands quantum science, idiot. The quantum physicists explaining it, straight out admit this. It's theories based on theories based on theories based on theories. This is where people who couldn't cut it in other branches of science go, that's if they don't start studying ancient astronaut theory or become cryptozoologists.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 7:32:28 PM

I think you are mixing up quantum mechanics with theories that try to describe why matter and energy behaves like quantum mechanics predicts it behaves. QM is the most successful theory of all times and it is based upon strict empirical data. It is nothing close to a pseudo science.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 10:59:34 PM
At 12/1/2015 7:32:28 PM, slo1 wrote:

I think you are mixing up quantum mechanics with theories that try to describe why matter and energy behaves like quantum mechanics predicts it behaves. QM is the most successful theory of all times and it is based upon strict empirical data. It is nothing close to a pseudo science.

Maybe, I'm not much of a science Geek. I'll just take your word for it.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 1:58:53 AM
At 11/29/2015 10:57:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

Nobody understands quantum science, idiot. The quantum physicists explaining it, straight out admit this. It's theories based on theories based on theories based on theories. This is where people who couldn't cut it in other branches of science go, that's if they don't start studying ancient astronaut theory or become cryptozoologists.

If you are referring the Feynmann quote, it is more in reference to the fact that QM is just about the most counter-intuitive theory that has ever existed... Ever. It is so counter intuitive that it took a while for the scientific community to accept many of its conclusions (just look at some of the stories related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle), even though it made predictions of absurd accuracy. The Schrodinger model of the Hydrogen atom for example is accurate to less than parts per trillion, from working from purely first principles.

In essence, QM is the perfect example of good science, since it is a theory that very few people actually liked, it goes against virtually everything people previously believed the universe should behave, yet it has forced itself into unanimous acceptance based on cold hard empirical data that continues to be generated today with increasing precision, nearly a hundred years later.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:04:29 AM
At 12/2/2015 1:58:53 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 11/29/2015 10:57:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

If you are referring the Feynmann quote, it is more in reference to the fact that QM is just about the most counter-intuitive theory that has ever existed... Ever. It is so counter intuitive that it took a while for the scientific community to accept many of its conclusions (just look at some of the stories related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle), even though it made predictions of absurd accuracy. The Schrodinger model of the Hydrogen atom for example is accurate to less than parts per trillion, from working from purely first principles.

In essence, QM is the perfect example of good science, since it is a theory that very few people actually liked, it goes against virtually everything people previously believed the universe should behave, yet it has forced itself into unanimous acceptance based on cold hard empirical data that continues to be generated today with increasing precision, nearly a hundred years later.

Interesting
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 12:25:38 PM
"Nothing is solid and everything is energy."

I'm not a physicist (actually a biologist), but as far as I know, matter is a condensed form of energy. If the condensed form is not stable, it may emit radiation, which is something we typically think of as some form of energy.

Hence, everything can be said to be energy. Solidity varies.
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 7:19:54 PM
At 12/2/2015 12:25:38 PM, toretorden wrote:
"Nothing is solid and everything is energy."

I'm not a physicist (actually a biologist), but as far as I know, matter is a condensed form of energy. If the condensed form is not stable, it may emit radiation, which is something we typically think of as some form of energy.

Hence, everything can be said to be energy. Solidity varies.

"ALL is MOTION."

Everything is MOVING, there is NO REST.

If everything is Energy, please explain how Space is formed and please don't be stupid and apply atmosphere to the equation, which is MATTER. I am referring to SPACE itself, which is UNDER all MATTER, by FLOWING THROUGH matter AT ALL TIMES.

How can Space qualify as Energy, to then qualify as MATTER, since only MATTER has MASS to form Energy from and Space is MASSLESS?

Ps: If you were to say that All Matter is Energy, that would be a correct statement but to say ALL IS ENERGY, that ALL includes SPACE, thus, to say All is Energy, easily qualifies as DUMB-AS-PHUCK, and anyone that buys off on that is a mathematical mental-midget moron!
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 7:36:57 PM
At 11/29/2015 4:42:34 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 11/29/2015 2:11:43 AM, Toad-Uoff wrote:

The only thing that isn't gibberish in your post is "Ribbit".

The formula shows the equivalence of mass and energy when it is transformed from one state to the other by a factor of C^2, which is the speed of light squared. This would show that a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy and it shows it takes a large amount of energy to produce a small amount of mass. That's it.

But the formula does NOT explain the additional energy output of Dynamite, which involves Compression (aka: PRESSURE ADDED TO THE EQUATION), and E=mc^2 does not explain where the additional energy is coming from that is generated in the blast. It's like the scene in the movie Armageddon, where Jason Isaac's explains the firecracker to your dumb-azzes. What part of that explanation did you not understand that violated E=mc^2?

But how about the violations of physics in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com...

Maybe you don't realize it but Calculus-based Science believes that what's shown in that scene is exactly what happened, yet physics is being violated everywhere in that scene, to include Newton's 3rd Law of Motion being ignored.

You really should read my 9 Deadly Sins thread to see what this world's academic scholarly minds are missing and not including in their equations.

Also, Einstein himself denounced E=mc^2 but you weren't listening to Einstein.

toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 7:40:44 PM
Ps: If you were to say that All Matter is Energy, that would be a correct statement but to say ALL IS ENERGY, that ALL includes SPACE, thus, to say All is Energy, easily qualifies as DUMB-AS-PHUCK, and anyone that buys off on that is a mathematical mental-midget moron!

Yes, I kinda left space out when I made that post. I don't consider space to be energy, so I agree with you.
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 7:50:47 PM
At 12/2/2015 7:40:44 PM, toretorden wrote:

Yes, I kinda left space out when I made that post. I don't consider space to be energy, so I agree with you.

Then the problem with your statement is the use of SOLID in your statement, in that even gases and liquids are qualified as SOLID, since they are comprised of MATTER and ALL MATTER qualifies as SOLID, since Mass is involved.

You are simply applying the "solid" werd where it does not belong. ;)

toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 8:12:24 PM
You are simply applying the "solid" werd where it does not belong. ;)

The only claim I made about solidity is "solidity varies".

The first, quoted sentence in my post is simply a citation of this thread's title.