Jump to topic:

Black Hole Has a Leisurely Meal

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 3:16:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A black hole is a geometrically defined region of space with high gravity concentration such that nothing -- including particles and electromagnetic radiation -- can escape from it. [https://books.google.co.in...] Black holes are known for ripping galaxies apart in a process called "spaghettification," and such processes are not always rapid. Maggie Fox of NBC News Reports:

Black holes are notorious for gobbling stars and ripping apart galaxies, but it's not always a quick process. Astronomers reported Thursday they watched a star being swallowed from beginning to end over a period of several months.

And for the first time, they could detect a spurt of plasma at the event horizon, they report in the journal Science.

"Our observations are the first to sample the light curve within 30 days of the peak," Sjoert van Velzen at Johns Hopkins University and colleagues wrote.

"It's the first time we see everything from the stellar destruction followed by the launch of a conical outflow, also called a jet, and we watched it unfold over several months," van Velzen added in a statement.

The star was about the same size as our sun and its slide into the black hole, called ASASSN-14li, was first spotted in 2014 by a team at Ohio State University. Van Velzen and colleagues quickly trained radio, x-ray and optical telescopes as well as satellites onto the spectacle in a galaxy about 300 million light years away.

They caught it.

Previous observations of black holes in action have come years after the objects have started to take in a star. This time, the team was quick enough to see a blip - a burst of plasma that shot out soon after the star passed the rim of the hole.

"The destruction of a star by a black hole is beautifully complicated, and far from understood," van Velzen said in a statement.

"Previous efforts to find evidence for these jets, including my own, were late to the game."

Astronomers think that supermassive black holes can be found at the centers of most massive galaxies, including our own Milky Way. Their powerful gravity can pull in objects that come too close - although they do not "suck" in objects from far away. They often steadily pull in dust and gas from surrounding space.

While most matter cannot escape, light, radio waves and plasma often does as an object is pulled into the black hole.

[http://www.nbcnews.com...]

Such an observation is quite an instance in physics. Thoughts?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 12:24:45 PM
At 11/29/2015 3:24:02 AM, dee-em wrote:
Disappointing that there are no pictures.

Nice animation here from Goddard space flight centre.

http://www.space.com...

I find it amazing that they picked up that this star was on a collision course in such a distant galaxy. How did they distinguish a single star in amongst the billions of others? Its just jaw-droppingly awesome what modern science can achieve.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 7:02:41 PM
At 11/29/2015 3:16:29 AM, tejretics wrote:
A black hole is a geometrically defined region of space with high gravity concentration such that nothing -- including particles and electromagnetic radiation -- can escape from it. [https://books.google.co.in...] Black holes are known for ripping galaxies apart in a process called "spaghettification," and such processes are not always rapid. Maggie Fox of NBC News Reports:

Black holes are notorious for gobbling stars and ripping apart galaxies, but it's not always a quick process. Astronomers reported Thursday they watched a star being swallowed from beginning to end over a period of several months.

And for the first time, they could detect a spurt of plasma at the event horizon, they report in the journal Science.

"Our observations are the first to sample the light curve within 30 days of the peak," Sjoert van Velzen at Johns Hopkins University and colleagues wrote.

"It's the first time we see everything from the stellar destruction followed by the launch of a conical outflow, also called a jet, and we watched it unfold over several months," van Velzen added in a statement.

The star was about the same size as our sun and its slide into the black hole, called ASASSN-14li, was first spotted in 2014 by a team at Ohio State University. Van Velzen and colleagues quickly trained radio, x-ray and optical telescopes as well as satellites onto the spectacle in a galaxy about 300 million light years away.

They caught it.

Previous observations of black holes in action have come years after the objects have started to take in a star. This time, the team was quick enough to see a blip - a burst of plasma that shot out soon after the star passed the rim of the hole.

"The destruction of a star by a black hole is beautifully complicated, and far from understood," van Velzen said in a statement.

"Previous efforts to find evidence for these jets, including my own, were late to the game."

Astronomers think that supermassive black holes can be found at the centers of most massive galaxies, including our own Milky Way. Their powerful gravity can pull in objects that come too close - although they do not "suck" in objects from far away. They often steadily pull in dust and gas from surrounding space.

While most matter cannot escape, light, radio waves and plasma often does as an object is pulled into the black hole.

Great opportunity to watch this process and good confirmation of how material gets ejected by a black hole when it is outside of the event horizon. Black holes are absolutely amazing objects, but we all really want to know what is really happening in side the event horizon.

One question I have is how time dilation effects our observations of the ejected material? I also have never really understood how or why it ejects the material at the poles....related to spin or magnetic fields?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 3:00:50 PM
At 12/1/2015 7:02:41 PM, slo1 wrote:

They caught it.

Great opportunity to watch this process and good confirmation of how material gets ejected by a black hole when it is outside of the event horizon. Black holes are absolutely amazing objects, but we all really want to know what is really happening in side the event horizon.

One question I have is how time dilation effects our observations of the ejected material? I also have never really understood how or why it ejects the material at the poles....related to spin or magnetic fields?

I think they're still trying to figure that out. Seems the ejected material is part of the corona of energetic particles (Xrays) that surrounds a supermassive black hole.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 4:09:59 AM
Posted: 12 months ago

They caught it.

Well this article doesn't explain it very well.

But the title says it does! And it's the Discovery Channel! Much reliable! Very honestly!

http://news.discovery.com...
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 6:14:15 AM

It has to do with the black hole's magnetic field which is weakest at the poles.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 2:30:03 PM

Quite amazing. I would hope that an instrument of some sort captured at least one picture of it.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.