Jump to topic:

Time

ConnorSween16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:49:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The idea of time confuses me. WE made time. We decided that 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes, 60 seconds, 365 Days. But why? Why did we make it those numbers in particular. A day makes sense, sun down to sun up- but why didn't we make it 10 hours for example?
But that's only the beginning. The idea of the space time continuum confuses me to no end. Can someone explain it to me? Like the idea of space being a bendable fabric with black holes and worm holes, Its driving me nuts. I need to know
ConnorSween16
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 3:14:11 PM
At 12/2/2015 2:49:32 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:

The idea of time confuses me. WE made time. We decided that 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes, 60 seconds, 365 Days.

We didn't make time. You are talking about measuring time and the units of measurement.

But why? Why did we make it those numbers in particular. A day makes sense, sun down to sun up- but why didn't we make it 10 hours for example?

For the same reason that the dozen was used for measuring many other quantities. It has more whole number divisions than does the number 10. The same with 60. It has lots of factors.

But that's only the beginning. The idea of the space time continuum confuses me to no end. Can someone explain it to me? Like the idea of space being a bendable fabric with black holes and worm holes, Its driving me nuts. I need to know

Google is your friend. Do some reading then ask a more specific question. I don't think anyone here wants to give you a crash course on Einstein's Relativity.

You could start here: https://simple.wikipedia.org...
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 4:42:22 PM
I can give you a crash course on Einstein's relativity and then because I am no expert, someone who is can correct me where wrong and I might learn something too.

Everything in the universe is located in space which has three dimensions - up/down, east/west and north/south. Space is invisible to us - we can see things in space but not space itself - yet space is something and it is affected by mass. When there's a bit of mass around, space stretches a bit to accomodate it. This is commonly illustrated by your typical rubber sheets and weights. In this illustration, space is illustrated as a sheet and big clumps of mass, like planets, are weights which cause dimples in the rubber sheet. In the dimples, space is stretched out. The more massive the weight, the more space gets stretched.

You and your watch are made up of subatomic particles that move and interact at the speed of light. Let this sink in for a bit. For you to do anything, lots of particles have to move across space so that they can interact and cause the day-to-day things you see in your life. For the second hand on your watch to move one second, a lot of particles have to move and interact a certain way. The more space these particles have to move across, the longer it will take. So, this means that for your watch hand to count a second, that will take longer on planet earth than it will just out there in space because planet earth stretches space so that the subatomic particles of the watch will have to travel through more space in order to interact.

Looking at the watch on your arm, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you were on earth our out in space because the same goes for all your particles as well. In a sense, the processes that give rise to your perception would be slowed down just like the watch is slowed down. The laws of physics don't change their behaviour, but everything seems to go a little slower on earth than just floating out there in space.

The same goes if you are moving at high speed. Imagine that you have an optical cable and this sends a pulse of light back and forth. It's a very long cable, so this "ping" takes the cable a second. The light pulse moves through cable, but it also moves through space. Let this sink in a bit. Now imagine that you and your cable-watch are moving very fast across the rubber sheet (space). The amount of space that the light pulse would have to travel through could significantly increase. This means the pulse would essentially take longer, but to your sense and thoughts, which are similarly slowed down, it would still take just a second.
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 8:57:23 PM
At 12/2/2015 4:42:22 PM, toretorden wrote:
I can give you a crash course on Einstein's relativity and then because I am no expert, someone who is can correct me where wrong and I might learn something too.

That is your first mistake, you are quoting OLD NEWS, when you quote any of Einstein's Closed System Theories, since Einstein PERSONALLY denounced ALL of his Closed System Theories, to include what you said about the 3 Dimensions, when, instead, there are 9 Dimensions to Everything.

Read my Opposite Riddle:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com...

It explains the 9 Dimensions of EVERYTHING and a little meme I made also disagrees with what you said.

http://i67.tinypic.com...

Ribbit :)
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 9:08:16 PM
The idea of time confuses me. WE made time. We decided that 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes, 60 seconds, 365 Days. But why? Why did we make it those numbers in particular. A day makes sense, sun down to sun up- but why didn't we make it 10 hours for example?

Time is sourced from the Thoughts of the Universe, the Thoughts of the twin-gods, known as God the Mother and God the Father, and when either think, their thoughts manifest inversely in the other's realm.

First, the Universe is Bi-versal, and when God the Father thinks, that thought manifests INVERSELY in the realm of God the Mother and Time happens in that realm/verse; and when God the Mother thinks, that thought manifests INVERSELY in the realm of God the Father and Time happens in that realm/verse.

"God thinks and Time happens." - Old Toad Proverb

So Time is nothing more than the Thoughts of the Universe physically manifested and Time flows through (out of) the particles of Space, like thought flows through the particles of your mind, known as Neurons.

Ribbit :)
SubterFugitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 4:01:46 AM

As alluded to above, Newton made the distinction between our relative measurements of time, and absolute time itself, which flows equally for the entire cosmos.

Einstein later came along and showed that moving clocks (oscillating light signals) run slower than clocks at rest relative to the moving clocks. His interpretation implied that talk of absolute time is irrelevant, and all that matters for physics is relative time (time we can measure by light signals). However Newton probably wouldn't have saw Einsteins interpretation of time as that much of a threat to his notion of absolute time, since his foundation for time is metaphysical, real time is God's time, and the cosmos is his elaborate clock.

The main thing here, is that time isn't a mere perception, it's rooted even in our conscious process of doubting the perception of time; "I'm doubting time" implies change, which implies time. So we would have to assume time to doubt it, hence any argument that time is unreal is has premises less obvious than the reality of time itself, it's in all of our language, and it's foundational to our experience. So doubting that it exists is fruitless.

But that's only the beginning. The idea of the space time continuum confuses me to no end. Can someone explain it to me? Like the idea of space being a bendable fabric with black holes and worm holes, Its driving me nuts. I need to know.

"Space-Time" doesn't exist, it's a mathematical construct like frictionless planes, singularities, and mathematical limits, etc.. it's just a useful way of modeling the history of a particle's motion through space as time progresses.

As for space being a bendable fabric, that's just a metaphor for understanding general relativity. Nobody really knows WHAT gravity is, or WHY things with mass are attracted to eachother. So you're in good company.

If you NEED to know the answers to these questions, I suggest researching audiobooks and physics text books as well as working hard at math.

Go for a degree in physics or astrophysics. You clearly have a desire to learn this stuff, and maybe it's for a reason. We live in an awesome universe!
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 3:05:07 AM
The idea of time confuses me. WE made time.

We devised a method of measurement, but Time itself is simply the change from past to present to future.

We decided that 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes, 60 seconds, 365 Days. But why? Why did we make it those numbers in particular. A day makes sense, sun down to sun up- but why didn't we make it 10 hours for example?

At first, we counted days and seasons. Then, as civilization developed, we needed smaller fragments of time, and invented hours (as explained before, 12 is an easily divisible number). As technology advanced, we needed more and more precise measurements of time. We divided hours into minutes (again, 60 is easily divisible), and then minutes into seconds. By that point, the decimal system had taken over, so we just divided seconds using that (and, eventually, with exponents).

Three things to consider here:
1. Principle of Relativity.
2. Theory of Special Relativity.
3. Theory of General Relativity.

The principle is simple and intuitive: if I am moving relative to you, it's equally true that you are moving relative to me, and no empirical test can determine which of us is really moving. The laws of physics on a steady-moving train are the same as those on the station.

Now, imagine the train is moving at 100 km/h, and I throw a ball out the front at 50 km/h. To me, the ball is moving at 50 km/h, but to you on the station, it's moving at 100 + 50 = 150 km/h. This is very straightforward.

However, the laws of physics are identical on both the train and the station, and the speed of light, c, is determined by the laws of electromagnetism. This means that, if I shine a torch out the front of the train, I measure it as moving at c, and you also measure it as moving at c, instead of at 100 + c. Now we have a contradiction.

Special Relativity solves this problem. Since velocity = distance/time, and the velocity of light is constant, you and I must disagree over what distance the light and train have travelled, and how long it took. The faster the train is moving, the greater our difference in observation will be. At train speeds close to c, you on the station will observe a significant, lengthwise squashing of the train. Since all of this is also tied to the mass and energy of the train, we have to disagree on those as well, hence E = mc2.

The reason it's called "Special" Relativity is because it makes a huge assumption: the train is moving at a steady pace. If it's speeding up or slowing down, inertia makes it very obvious that the train is moving and the station is not. General Relativity adapts the math to apply in this situation as well (hence why it's "general").

Einstein also realised that acceleration and gravity have the same effect. Suppose an elevator is floating in space. I then put either: a rocket, to accelerate it "up"; or an artificial gravity source, to pull it "down". From inside the elevator, inertia alone cannot tell you which I've done. Hence, acceleration and gravity are analogous. In that case, one would expect that gravity also affects distance and length, by shrinking the space/slowing the time around the source of the gravity.

Since gravity is stronger closer to its source, the shrinkage of space will be greater the further "down" you go. Thus, the trajectory of objects will vary dependent on where they are in the field. This leads to the rubber sheet analogy, where planets orbit the sun because they're rolling along the sheet, and are simply following the countours of the dent the sun makes. As a side note, it's important whether they were formed from the sun or captured by it: the former means they were flung outwards, and will gradually move away from the sun with each orbit; while the latter means they will spiral into the sun with each orbit (since they're losing energy and thus can't maintain position on the rubber sheet).

For black holes, you need to understand the life cycle of a star. A star is essentially a massive fusion bomb. Its fusion reaction balances the force of gravity. When it reaches the end of its reaction, it collapses under its own weight, and is maintained by the Pauli Exclusion principle (no 2 or more matter particles can share the same position AND the same velocity). This limits the collapse of most stars, since all those particles forced into the same position will have different velocities. However, since nothing can travel faster than light, there's a limit to how different those velocities can be, and thus a limit how far the Pauli Exclusion principle will hold. If the star is too massive, it will collapse past this limit, and never stop, becoming a point of infinite density. Infinite density turns our rubber sheet dent into a rubber sheet hole - a black hole. The escape velocity of a black hole exceeds the speed of light, and so nothing can escape it.

Wormholes are a theoretical adaptation of black holes. If you could remove the singularity, but still have the hole, and could connect the hole to another region of space/time, you'd have a tunnel. Wormholes theoretically allow shortcuts between two distant regions of space/time.

That's the gist of Relativity. If there's anything you didn't understand, please let me know and I can try to explain it better. However, since I'm not a physicist, I'm limited to what is essentially a layman's understanding of the theory, and may not be able to answer anything too specific.