Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Are some threads intellectually dishonest?

Socraticdeathwish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 2:56:08 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
I would say they are, particularly the ones that go like this "evolution...is there any evidence?" The poster then ignores all the points people make in its favor, and just keep asking the same questions. In my opinion, if these people want to be taken seriously, they need to put something more in the OP than "any evidence" How about trying to come up with some reasons why you think evolution is not real?

If I was going to question Christianity, I wouldn"t just start a thread called Christianity and write "really?" That to be would be intellectually lazy and dishonest (because it shows that you are not really engaging with the topic).

I hope to see lots of threads entitled "my problem with evolution" "why I think evolution isn"t true" etc.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 3:24:21 PM
At 12/8/2015 2:56:08 PM, Socraticdeathwish wrote:
I would say they are, particularly the ones that go like this "evolution...is there any evidence?" The poster then ignores all the points people make in its favor, and just keep asking the same questions. In my opinion, if these people want to be taken seriously, they need to put something more in the OP than "any evidence" How about trying to come up with some reasons why you think evolution is not real?

If I was going to question Christianity, I wouldn"t just start a thread called Christianity and write "really?" That to be would be intellectually lazy and dishonest (because it shows that you are not really engaging with the topic).

I hope to see lots of threads entitled "my problem with evolution" "why I think evolution isn"t true" etc.

You mean like this thread that I started four years ago:

http://www.debate.org...

Harry.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 8:59:06 PM

Where have I stated I don't think evolution is real?
Socraticdeathwish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:16:19 PM
At 12/8/2015 8:59:06 PM, janesix wrote:

Where have I stated that you have? You have, however, started threads just like those I described. If you don"t have an agenda in posing the question, then fair enough, but it"s a bit like saying, "fight!" and then stepping back to watch the resulting carnage. How about adding your opinion to the melee?
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:19:36 PM

I think I stated in the Evidence for Evolution thread that yes; a significant number of these posts are not asked in Good faith. Although, in reality there are the occasional thread in the religion forum which goes the same way when asked by Atheists. Anecdotally, not quite as many.

Saying this, however, most of the Atheists I've seen aren't particularly dishonest, in that it seems that the tone of the posts are more humorous. And while definitely intellectually lazy, aren't often particularly dishonest.

This being said, I don't think that the problem is necessarily with intellectually dishonest threads, as much as it is with intellectually dishonest arguments and techniques in general.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:27:52 PM
At 12/8/2015 9:16:19 PM, Socraticdeathwish wrote:

Where have I stated that you have? You have, however, started threads just like those I described. If you don"t have an agenda in posing the question, then fair enough, but it"s a bit like saying, "fight!" and then stepping back to watch the resulting carnage. How about adding your opinion to the melee?

You were obviously talking about me.

I have no agenda, except to get to the bottom of the matter I address. There are many obvious flaws in the Neo-Darwinian model of evolution,and those are the issues I like to address.
Socraticdeathwish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:29:06 PM
At 12/8/2015 9:19:36 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

I think I stated in the Evidence for Evolution thread that yes; a significant number of these posts are not asked in Good faith. Although, in reality there are the occasional thread in the religion forum which goes the same way when asked by Atheists. Anecdotally, not quite as many.

Saying this, however, most of the Atheists I've seen aren't particularly dishonest, in that it seems that the tone of the posts are more humorous. And while definitely intellectually lazy, aren't often particularly dishonest.

This being said, I don't think that the problem is necessarily with intellectually dishonest threads, as much as it is with intellectually dishonest arguments and techniques in general.

I agree, but I think the OP and the immediate responses often set the scene for the debate as a whole.
Socraticdeathwish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:31:04 PM
At 12/8/2015 9:27:52 PM, janesix wrote:

I have no agenda, except to get to the bottom of the matter I address. There are many obvious flaws in the Neo-Darwinian model of evolution,and those are the issues I like to address.

How about starting the thread with one of them then? Like I said, it would make others think that you are actually engaging with the issue rather than just looking to start a fight.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:35:38 PM
At 12/8/2015 9:31:04 PM, Socraticdeathwish wrote:
At 12/8/2015 9:27:52 PM, janesix wrote:

How about starting the thread with one of them then? Like I said, it would make others think that you are actually engaging with the issue rather than just looking to start a fight.

I have started several threads on these topics. At least four or five.
Socraticdeathwish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 9:39:08 PM
My suggestion was to really stop starting the general ones. It"s up to you obviously, but I think people will get tired of those kind of threads and stop responding to them.