Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Adam & Eve

I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:50:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

Apparently not if it's on Cracked.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:52:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:50:48 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

Apparently not if it's on Cracked.

What's that supposed to mean?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:59:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:52:47 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:50:48 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

Apparently not if it's on Cracked.

What's that supposed to mean?

http://lmgtfy.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:00:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:59:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:52:47 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:50:48 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

Apparently not if it's on Cracked.

What's that supposed to mean?

http://lmgtfy.com...

You knew what I meant. How does Cracked have anything to do with this?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:04:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 11:00:49 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:59:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:52:47 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:50:48 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

Apparently not if it's on Cracked.

What's that supposed to mean?

http://lmgtfy.com...

You knew what I meant. How does Cracked have anything to do with this?

It read it in Cracked. If it's on Cracked I figured it wasn't a well-known theory.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:56:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
*YAWN*
Homo Bardus
Bardus Sapiens
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 1:44:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

This is actually quite unlikely given the way evolution should work, there should be many 'Eves', ultimately however we are still all related.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 1:57:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 1:44:51 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

This is actually quite unlikely given the way evolution should work, there should be many 'Eves', ultimately however we are still all related.

At present the science seems to suggest it unless we can conjure a different explanation. I think it's plausible that we are the only lien which survived, as such.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 4:57:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 4:01:32 PM, feverish wrote:
Some scientists reckon all modern humans have a common ancestor as recently as 5000 years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org...

I bet the YECs love that theory.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 5:06:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 4:57:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/11/2010 4:01:32 PM, feverish wrote:
Some scientists reckon all modern humans have a common ancestor as recently as 5000 years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org...

I bet the YECs love that theory.

Yeah maybe, but "scientific" racialists are less keen.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:34:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Ehh mitochondrial eve is poorly named and media translations suffer because of it. She is the **most recent** common ancestor of all humans in regards to matrilineal descent. Her mitochondrial DNA exists in all humans - and that is all. She is ***not*** the singular "mother" of us all - she existed in a population, and likewise at the time of her existence she would not have been classified as mitochondrial eve, that title again going to an even more distant ancestor.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 9:16:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 11:34:15 PM, Puck wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Ehh mitochondrial eve is poorly named and media translations suffer because of it. She is the **most recent** common ancestor of all humans in regards to matrilineal descent. Her mitochondrial DNA exists in all humans - and that is all. She is ***not*** the singular "mother" of us all - she existed in a population, and likewise at the time of her existence she would not have been classified as mitochondrial eve, that title again going to an even more distant ancestor.

Can't that just keep going in infinite regression? How can you prove that the most recent mitochondrial Eve isn't the first one?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:05:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 1:44:51 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This is actually quite unlikely given the way evolution should work, there should be many 'Eves', ultimately however we are still all related.

Funny.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 5:22:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/19/2010 9:16:20 PM, mongeese wrote:

Can't that just keep going in infinite regression?

Sure you want to be using the i word there?

The age of the Earth, life on Earth, human species lineage, mitochondrial lineage are all limited. At any rate the confusing aspect may be the 'how do we know' bit - it's a mathematical formula derived from mutation rates of the mtDNA.

http://skepticwiki.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 7:53:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/20/2010 1:05:05 AM, Ren wrote:
At 10/11/2010 1:44:51 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This is actually quite unlikely given the way evolution should work, there should be many 'Eves', ultimately however we are still all related.

Funny.

?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
beem0r
Posts: 1,155
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 7:33:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/19/2010 9:16:20 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 10/11/2010 11:34:15 PM, Puck wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Ehh mitochondrial eve is poorly named and media translations suffer because of it. She is the **most recent** common ancestor of all humans in regards to matrilineal descent. Her mitochondrial DNA exists in all humans - and that is all. She is ***not*** the singular "mother" of us all - she existed in a population, and likewise at the time of her existence she would not have been classified as mitochondrial eve, that title again going to an even more distant ancestor.

Can't that just keep going in infinite regression? How can you prove that the most recent mitochondrial Eve isn't the first one?
Humans share a common ancestor with mice.
Mitochondrial eve is not the common ancestor of humans and mice. Therefore, she had ancestors.
Having ancestors and descendents, it is nearly impossible that mitochondrial eve did not live among a population of genetically similar beings.
Those genetically similar beings and mitochondrial eve shared a common ancestor with each other, and the most recent example of this would be their own mitochondrial eve.

Therefore, at the time of our "mitochondrial eve," there was another mitochondrial eve further back in time.

This would not go ad infinitum, it would go ad abiogenesis. For any eve with cousins or siblings, there is a preceding eve. Only the very root of the family tree wouldn't have its own eve.
wamba
Posts: 688
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 11:56:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

ditto
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 12:25:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/30/2010 11:56:00 PM, wamba wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:49:32 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:44:57 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Only, from an evolutionary viewpoint. DNA suggests that some 200,000 a 'woman', whom we all carry a common gene from, existed, which birthed what became humans. I find this fascinating, and perhaps it insinuates we are all technically related

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I thought that was common knowlege. I learned about that in 6th grade.

ditto

ikr?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 3:12:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk...
Statistician claims that all Europeans are descended from Charlemagne.

That's Charlemagne/Charles/Clovis I - First king of France and Germany.
'sup DDO -- july 2013