Jump to topic:

Evolution!

CrappyDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 2:19:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
As far as science is concerned, the best theory for how life arrised on earth is via Evolution from a single cell organism.

My question is do you think science will ever find a better theory?

In a thousand, 2-thousand, 5thousand years from now... will they say evolution was correct, or another theory was?

Thoughts?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 2:27:36 PM
At 10/14/2010 2:19:20 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
As far as science is concerned, the best theory for how life arrised on earth is via Evolution from a single cell organism.

Hmm, not sure that's the best wording. Single celled organisms are alive, so if you're trying to explain how life arose, starting with a single-celled organism may not be the best idea.

In a thousand, 2-thousand, 5thousand years from now... will they say evolution was correct, or another theory was?

Thoughts?

It seems to me that science has provided some good evidence in terms of how life became more complex. What it DOESN'T explain as of yet, is how life came about to begin with.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 3:07:45 PM
: At 10/14/2010 2:19:20 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:

Thoughts?

Evolution is either an innate idea or an idea that is thought up due to experience, tabula rasa or in English, blank slate. So no, if the earth is still around in thousands of years time, evolution will still be thought as the answer to the origins of life.

Evolution is a philosophy, like other philosophies, evolution includes science to fully explain it. It is a world view just like creationism, and again just like creationism, evolution will, if believed in, will manipulate ones morals.

However all what I am saying to some will sound like ignorance. But in reality we all have world views, and they, our world views will decide what the facts mean. And the facts are the science, to stretch the facts is a bad idea.

So an evolutionist is to say this fossil is 180 million years old. When really fossils don't actually say such things, they are just formations of dead creatures. This 'stretching' of facts builds up and creates an illusion which makes a persons view of origins deluded.

If I am wrong in saying this, please then give me a piece of evidence which does not coincide with another piece of data (fossils, rock layers etc...)

Darwin actually was convinced by a book which he read that assumed the earth was billions of years old, this brought about his presumption that too life must have been around for millions of years to be harmonious with the age of the earth.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 3:19:40 PM
At 10/14/2010 3:07:45 PM, GodSands wrote:
If I am wrong in saying this, please then give me a piece of evidence which does not coincide with another piece of data (fossils, rock layers etc...)

Radiometric dating.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 3:29:23 PM

Thoughts?

Evolution is either an innate idea or an idea that is thought up due to experience, tabula rasa or in English, blank slate. So no, if the earth is still around in thousands of years time, evolution will still be thought as the answer to the origins of life.

Evolution is a philosophy, like other philosophies, evolution includes science to fully explain it. It is a world view just like creationism, and again just like creationism, evolution will, if believed in, will manipulate ones morals.

However all what I am saying to some will sound like ignorance. But in reality we all have world views, and they, our world views will decide what the facts mean. And the facts are the science, to stretch the facts is a bad idea.

So an evolutionist is to say this fossil is 180 million years old. When really fossils don't actually say such things, they are just formations of dead creatures. This 'stretching' of facts builds up and creates an illusion which makes a persons view of origins deluded.

Darwin actually was convinced by a book which he read that assumed the earth was billions of years old, this brought about his presumption that too life must have been around for millions of years to be harmonious with the age of the earth.

GodSands, I've changed a lot from the person I used to be, and though I really do apologize for however much I mistreated you in the past, you really shouldn't continue with the evolution debate.

It's not that I want you to abandon your cause or anything like that, but you really are hurting your cause. I recommend you look at JHarry's posts. JHarry is a Christian and he has a fairly good grasp as to how these discussions go, and I think that he hits a lot of good points and there's a lot of learning both ways. Your understanding (and this is not an insult), really isn't up to par. You should really stop, for the sake of other Christians, at least until you can get some better understanding.

From the first day that you started arguing against Evolution, you've learned nothing, and that's discouraging for both sides of the debate.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 3:32:49 PM
: At 10/14/2010 3:19:40 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Radiometric dating.

Which is tested using rocks. If I were to know about radiometric dating, and along with knowing about it, evolution became factual, then it would be accepted. However it would make no sense because radiometric dating is only radiometric dating because it inclues the usage of rocks, fossils etc...

I want something that requires no input of thought, like when we read a fact, we don't modify the fact, but we only store it as an interesting piece of data within our memory. Like for example, there is no two snow flakes alike. And now I know that, I would go, "Ah that's interesting."

I find it silly when a guy pulls a tooth out of a dead creature, and says, "Look evidence for evolution." Oh sorry, am I missing something, is there a 1 hundred million year long slide show which comes with the tooth?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 3:35:56 PM
: At 10/14/2010 3:29:23 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Thoughts?

GodSands, I've changed a lot from the person I used to be, and though I really do apologize for however much I mistreated you in the past, you really shouldn't continue with the evolution debate.

It's not that I want you to abandon your cause or anything like that, but you really are hurting your cause. I recommend you look at JHarry's posts. JHarry is a Christian and he has a fairly good grasp as to how these discussions go, and I think that he hits a lot of good points and there's a lot of learning both ways. Your understanding (and this is not an insult), really isn't up to par. You should really stop, for the sake of other Christians, at least until you can get some better understanding.

From the first day that you started arguing against Evolution, you've learned nothing, and that's discouraging for both sides of the debate.

Don't worry about the past.

I tend to see my misunderstandings, but I don't here.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 5:02:03 PM
At 10/14/2010 3:35:56 PM, GodSands wrote:

Let me give you an example so you can understand:

Kevin is a fake Christian and he is trying to preach the Gospel, but he is preaching it all wrong. He doesn't understand the Bible, but he thinks he does. You know more about what it means to be a true Christian, and you see this fake Christian saying things that are all jumbled and they aren't true to the words of Christ.

You try to talk to Kevin about it, but he refuses. He says that YOU are the one without Christ in your heart and he says he doesn't see any misunderstanding. He then tries to teach you his beliefs and you listen more and more, but the more you listen, the more you know that he isn't on the right path to God.

What do you do?

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 5:19:55 PM
At 10/14/2010 3:32:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
I find it silly when a guy pulls a tooth out of a dead creature, and says, "Look evidence for evolution." Oh sorry, am I missing something, is there a 1 hundred million year long slide show which comes with the tooth?

Is there a slideshow detailing a criminal's actions to go along with the fingerprints found at the scene of the crime?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 12:58:40 AM
At 10/14/2010 3:29:23 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I got him to that point. Wish I could do the same for Godsands.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:19:20 AM
: At 10/14/2010 5:02:03 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/14/2010 3:35:56 PM, GodSands wrote:

Let me give you an example so you can understand:

Kevin is a fake Christian and he is trying to preach the Gospel, but he is preaching it all wrong. He doesn't understand the Bible, but he thinks he does. You know more about what it means to be a true Christian, and you see this fake Christian saying things that are all jumbled and they aren't true to the words of Christ.

You try to talk to Kevin about it, but he refuses. He says that YOU are the one without Christ in your heart and he says he doesn't see any misunderstanding. He then tries to teach you his beliefs and you listen more and more, but the more you listen, the more you know that he isn't on the right path to God.

What do you do?

Go to God's Word and point out evidences that show someone is truely saved. I would compare what God's Word says, and see if Kevins life reflects a biblical reality in which shows that he is either truely born again or just a confused lost church member who thinks it's ok to believe in evolution.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 5:17:13 AM
At 10/15/2010 2:19:20 AM, GodSands wrote:
Go to God's Word and point out evidences that show someone is truely saved. I would compare what God's Word says, and see if Kevins life reflects a biblical reality in which shows that he is either truely born again or just a confused lost church member who thinks it's ok to believe in evolution.

So, if someone has the wrong idea about God, then you would have him read the Bible to show him that he's wrong, right?

What if he says that the Bible is open to interpretation and he doesn't like yours? What if his pastor taught him to interpret the Bible the wrong way? What if his life reflects a reality that goes to the Bible's words, but with a meaning that he messed up?

Imagine if he keeps referencing books other than the Bible, books written by other fake Christians who use big words and strange ideas?

What would you do then?

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:43:28 PM
See GodSands? He specifically hunts down topics on Evolution and makes them all about God. The problem is that he really isn't intellectually qualified to make any statements about evolution, so no real discussion ever occurs.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 12:51:49 AM
At 10/15/2010 1:00:21 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
I really hoped this wouldn't get derailed into religion.

That is the only purpose of such a thread sadly, the non-religious can simply read a book or google their questions. The religious (creationists that is) need the entirity of the idea explained to them and every single argument they have against a fake version of evolution to be seperately examined, challenged and destroyed about three times.

With the exception of the one creationist I know to actually have a brain, and a good one at that. But he is the exception to the rule.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 3:38:51 AM
: At 10/15/2010 1:43:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
See GodSands? He specifically hunts down topics on Evolution and makes them all about God. The problem is that he really isn't intellectually qualified to make any statements about evolution, so no real discussion ever occurs.

I could answer back, you if I were to, another quiestion of yours would spring up from the blue.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 7:02:29 AM
At 10/16/2010 3:38:51 AM, GodSands wrote:

I could answer back, you if I were to, another quiestion of yours would spring up from the blue.

So your main goal is for me not to question anything you say? Just to assume that it is right and that I should believe it?

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 7:39:58 PM
: At 10/16/2010 7:02:29 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/16/2010 3:38:51 AM, GodSands wrote:

So your main goal is for me not to question anything you say? Just to assume that it is right and that I should believe it?

You know what I believe, and that is in Jesus Christ, in creationism, and I the Word of God. I began believing in those things since I was converted over night back in 2008. Before hand I believed I was saved and that was that, did whatever I liked and there was no evidence that I was a Christian.

Question everything, pity is, you don't question yourself and what you believe. The Bible says to question everything, so basicly what that is saying is, 'question the Bible, what it says and you will find that it is speaking the Truth.'
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 7:43:39 PM

Thoughts?

I think it will be around until the last day. I believe it will grow in strength and popularity. I think the Church will shrink down to almost nothing, I have no idea how long this will take. Only the Father knows the answer to that.

I don't think they will find a better theory, the have chosen this one and I doubt they will ever let it go, now matter the evidence.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 8:28:57 PM
At 10/16/2010 7:39:58 PM, GodSands wrote:
Question everything, pity is, you don't question yourself and what you believe.

And why don't you think I do that? Are you aware that I've recently renounced almost everything I used to believe in?

If you don't believe me, ask JHarry.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 8:37:52 PM
At 10/16/2010 8:28:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:

And why don't you think I do that? Are you aware that I've recently renounced almost everything I used to believe in?

I will testify for him on that. He has changed, greatly. I can hardly tell that he is even the same person anymore.

Aint it grand what a good women will do for a man. :)
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
CrappyDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:08:46 PM
At 10/16/2010 8:28:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:

May i ask what you renounced?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 11:31:32 PM

Thoughts?

Yes, absolutely.

I think that the theory of evolution as it is right now is an observation that scientists do not fully understand. It is an incomplete thought that will gain further dimension as more about reality is revealed and understood.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 6:33:31 AM
At 10/16/2010 10:08:46 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:

Idealism, objectivism (Not the Randian kind), impracticality, any ideology I held that I associated with flawed assumptions of "the typical teenager". Obsession with independence, irrational non-conformity, liberty, natural rights. Childhood propaganda associated with he above. I chucked it all out the window. I removed Intelligence as a value from it's pedestal, that's no longer the most important trait to me.

I did it slowly, as I realized I was getting happier and happier and neither had room for, nor needed, any of the above in my life to be happy.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 6:42:37 AM
At 10/17/2010 6:33:31 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/16/2010 10:08:46 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:

Idealism, objectivism (Not the Randian kind), impracticality, any ideology I held that I associated with flawed assumptions of "the typical teenager". Obsession with independence, irrational non-conformity, liberty, natural rights. Childhood propaganda associated with he above. I chucked it all out the window. I removed Intelligence as a value from it's pedestal, that's no longer the most important trait to me.

I did it slowly, as I realized I was getting happier and happier and neither had room for, nor needed, any of the above in my life to be happy.

How do you renounce liberty?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 7:20:07 AM
At 10/17/2010 6:42:37 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

*Obsession with*, that should read "Obsession with liberty".

beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 7:39:28 AM
I removed Intelligence as a value from it's pedestal, that's no longer the most important trait to me.
I could say the same thing, but I'm curious; what traits do you think are more important now?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 7:45:11 AM
At 10/17/2010 7:20:07 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/17/2010 6:42:37 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

*Obsession with*, that should read "Obsession with liberty".

Ah, fair enough. I wouldn't say I personally am obsessed with it, though I get rather upset when people try to take it from me.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 7:58:21 AM
At 10/17/2010 7:39:28 AM, beem0r wrote:
I removed Intelligence as a value from it's pedestal, that's no longer the most important trait to me.
I could say the same thing, but I'm curious; what traits do you think are more important now?

Practicality, above all else. Usually goes hand in hand with experience which allows me to work efficiently and perform a job without needing to analyze things to death first.

Other values: social interaction, people skills, having a high EQ, self-awareness.

In terms of personal life: Love, family, friendship, happiness.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 8:26:14 AM

Thoughts?

I have one . . .
http://www.debate.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.