Jump to topic:

inductive principle

sllewuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 1:04:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I read in a article saying that all science depends on the inductive principle to work. I don't understand what this means can someone explain this to me?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 4:34:09 AM
At 10/26/2010 1:04:13 AM, sllewuy wrote:
I read in a article saying that all science depends on the inductive principle to work. I don't understand what this means can someone explain this to me?

Inductive reasoning means figuring things out logically based on specific facts that you group together to make larger determinations, which are technically generalizations. An example in molecular biology would be that scientists determine cell type by isolating and identifying its constituents. It can also refer to determining cause from effect.

This is as opposed to deductive reasoning, which is figuring things out logically based on larger determinations or generalizations and reducing them to smaller, more specific facts. It can also refer to determining effect from cause.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 5:01:48 AM
At 10/26/2010 4:34:09 AM, Ren wrote:

Inductive reasoning means figuring things out logically based on specific facts that you group together to make larger determinations, which are technically generalizations. An example in molecular biology would be that scientists determine cell type by isolating and identifying its constituents. It can also refer to determining cause from effect.

This is as opposed to deductive reasoning, which is figuring things out logically based on larger determinations or generalizations and reducing them to smaller, more specific facts. It can also refer to determining effect from cause.

Nice use of copy and paste.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 5:21:55 AM
At 10/26/2010 5:01:48 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Hahahahahahahaha

Although! It is terribly insecure and hilarious for you to do this and I must admit that no, I just typed that out just like everything else I post around here--

I have to point out that it should have been perfectly find if I did, since the dude was just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. ;)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 5:24:20 AM
At 10/26/2010 5:21:55 AM, Ren wrote:
At 10/26/2010 5:01:48 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Hahahahahahahaha

Although! It is terribly insecure and hilarious for you to do this and I must admit that no, I just typed that out just like everything else I post around here--

But science makes you angry.

I have to point out that it should have been perfectly find if I did, since the dude was just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. ;)

True, it's just good to reference your sources.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 5:45:01 PM

Popper is going to be very angry with that...