Jump to topic:

Space travel

Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 7:57:02 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
When we are able to travel a little quicker than the speed of light we will be able to go to the moon and back and shake hands with ourself before we leave....Sounds like fun Hey?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:11:25 AM
At 1/30/2016 7:57:02 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
When we are able to travel a little quicker than the speed of light

Never going to happen
Meh!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:57:37 PM
When we are able to travel a little quicker than the speed of light we will be able to go to the moon and back and shake hands with ourself before we leave....Sounds like fun Hey?

As it stands, only massless particles can travel at the speed of light, particles with or without mass have not traveled faster.

Electrodynamics is one of the most well defined theories and covers a great deal of phenomena with extreme accuracy. The properties of space (permeability and permittivity of electromagnetic radiation) would have to change dramatically in order to allow anything to travel faster through it. This is not to say electromagnetic radiation does not have properties and characteristics inhibiting it's relative velocity, but if it does, these have never been made evident.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 5:00:26 PM

When I was younger (the 1970s) I read all of E.E 'Doc' Smith's Lensman and Skylark stories (Skylark we very good).

These stories took for granted an ability to travel at incredible speeds and didn't worry about the speed of light limitation. I also first heard about time dilation and special relativity when I was 15 and dived into that eagerly to understand it.

The fact is we're not going to reach remote stars, such goals are pretty much unacheivable I think. The nearest star is a few light years away so even at the speed of light it would take many years to get there and get radio signals back/forth.

Red shift would come into play at very high % of light speeds so ships would need to transmit radio at immense frequencies if we we're to receive them at an acceptable frequency on earth, not done the calculations but that would be a challenge potentially too.

. . . . . . .

OK the equation (for f0) is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So at 50% speed of light the received frequency drops to a 1/3 of the transmitted frequency, not bad I guess.

The sci-fi stories were great, especially for a young mind but reality is I see no hope.

The only other means is to consider "wormholes" but this is hypothetical and I lack the mathematics to really have a view on whether its even remotely practical.

Harry.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:18:30 AM
I find the idea behind warp drives intriguing.

The basic principle being that instead of making yourself move faster, you bend space-time in such a way that the distance between two points decreases, but as I understand it now these are still only hypothetical.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:09:53 PM
At 1/30/2016 9:11:25 AM, Axonly wrote:

Never going to happen

Wasn't it someone in the 1800s too who said that everything is already invented and people will not invent more things? How right was he? ;)
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:18:44 PM
At 2/5/2016 8:09:53 PM, Jovian wrote:

Never going to happen

Wasn't it someone in the 1800s too who said that everything is already invented and people will not invent more things? How right was he? ;)

1. Reverse time travel wouldn't work because of paradoxes

2. We would have been visited by time travelers
Meh!
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:31:06 PM
At 2/5/2016 8:18:44 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 8:09:53 PM, Jovian wrote:

Never going to happen

1. Reverse time travel wouldn't work because of paradoxes

Might sound scientifically good for right now in 2016. Many scientifical things back in history are today laughed at by us in 2016. People reading our discussion in 5716 would maybe laugh at our (what for them would be) arbitrary guesses.

2. We would have been visited by time travelers

If a man is claiming he is from the future, he would be regarded a lunatic. If he would bring some tools from the future to prove himself right, this would possibly corrupt society and cause humans to riot, something that said futural man perhaps would want to avoid.