Total Posts:52|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why did Intelligence Evolve?

distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 5:04:11 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

Natural selection. Intelligence was the trait that was most useful in early hominids, and therefore the most intelligent, had a higher chance of survival and was selected.

Beyond that, there is no actual, single event(or as you call it, a spark) that caused an expansion in our intelligence. Its a cumulative, slow process. Its not like we suddenly grew a huge brain and our IQ suddenly spiked up 50 points.
keithprosser
Posts: 2,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:50:41 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I've been looking in vain for a convenient link, but in the absence of one allow me to claim that the rate at which hominid brains expanded is actually one of the most rapid examples of adaptive evolution known, happening over 10s of thousands of years not the millions evolution often needs.

When you get such rapid and extreme adaptation the cause can often be competition within a species rather than between species.

Consider ant-eaters, a species with remarkably long snouts. If ant-eaters had shorter snouts that they do they would still be much better at eating ants than other species, but a longer snout would be an advantage over a shorter one. The net result is immediate and constant pressure for ant-eater snouts to get longer and longer due to the competition for ants between ant-eaters.

As the biggest competitors for an ant-eater are other ant-eaters, the evolutionary pressure is large, resulting in rapid change in a particular fixed direction. Most examples of extreme adaption only make sense in terms of intra- (as opposed to inter-) species competition.

It seems likely that something similar happened with hominid brains. Once if even only a slightly increased intelligence arose (on the safe assumption intelligence gives its owner an advantage) there would be pressure for intelligence to increase due to competition within the species.

I'd say intelligence didn't have to evolve (it didn't amongst fish or dinosaurs despite their long tenures), but once it does, it probably would increase rapidly.
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:25:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

YES thank you for answering

It all started with our bipedalism, this caused our hands to become free so we could use tools, because we became tool users this meant that those with greater intelligence (Could use tools more effectively) were more likely to survive (Natural selection etc), as well as this, increased nutrition due to being able to hunt animals for meat (As well as other resources) also helped promote skull expansion and brain development.

TLDR; We became smarter because it was naturally selected for
Meh!
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 12:14:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

There are many things that are curious in so far as development via evolution is concerned.

You need to go back to the one cell/ two cell start, if it happened that way. At what stage did intelligence, the emotions, anger, love,fear,ability to think things out with reason and logic, what determined the sexual behavior of the one and two cell beings, and many more normal human attributes that are not found in lesser animals.

If you are going to argue that animals do all these intangible things, then you will have to show the reasoning of the animal. The difference is that animals do things by instinct and environmental situation, whereas humans will reason the situation out and adjust accordingly.

It is not logical to think that all the intangibles came in a short period of time, and as by natural selection as the ones that could think would wipe out those that couldn't. This has been the trait of "intelligent beings" since their beginnings.

If humans developed the need for some religious learning, why haven't that animals shown some trace of that in their systems of life.

Some say that the difference between animals and humans is that humans are rational, reasonable (able to reason) and religious, and we must admit that man in all his forms has developed a hereafter and a spiritual god of some sort...Why? IF we are simply evolved, who put religion on our DNA.

Evolutionists, Atheists and even agnostics practice their concept with religious fervor.
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 12:21:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?
Intelligence evolved so we would be capable of understanding god/the universe.
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:00:54 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 12:14:03 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

There are many things that are curious in so far as development via evolution is concerned.

You need to go back to the one cell/ two cell start, if it happened that way. At what stage did intelligence, the emotions, anger, love,fear,ability to think things out with reason and logic, what determined the sexual behavior of the one and two cell beings, and many more normal human attributes that are not found in lesser animals.

You reasoning is a bit weird unlike others on this forum. I am only concerned with how advanced intelligence that is unique to humans evolved. If you want to research how basic intelligence evolved I guess you can study mice or lizards or something. Also, my question is not about sexual behavior or how emotions evolved.

If you are going to argue that animals do all these intangible things, then you will have to show the reasoning of the animal. The difference is that animals do things by instinct and environmental situation, whereas humans will reason the situation out and adjust accordingly.

I am not talking about animal reasoning and by the way behavioral observation and experimentation has definitely verified animal intelligence. Animal intelligence was only controversial in the 1800s.

Please inform yourself:
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

It is not logical to think that all the intangibles came in a short period of time, and as by natural selection as the ones that could think would wipe out those that couldn't. This has been the trait of "intelligent beings" since their beginnings.

First off intelligence did not start with humans. Also your argument that intelligent hominids did not evolve does not make any sense. Notice how humans are the only hominids left? Because of our intelligence we did wipe out the other hominids. Now there are other animals around with lower intelligence but they are not always competing for the exact same research we are, which is why cells were not wiped out by humans.

If humans developed the need for some religious learning, why haven't that animals shown some trace of that in their systems of life.

Some say that the difference between animals and humans is that humans are rational, reasonable (able to reason) and religious, and we must admit that man in all his forms has developed a hereafter and a spiritual god of some sort...Why? IF we are simply evolved, who put religion on our DNA.

There is no evidence that religion is in our genes. It is just a way of thought that many people have, just like liberalism or conservatism. Religious ideas like other human ideas are too complex for animal intelligence which is why animals are not religious. Human brains are not perfect and is still mostly run by emotion. So it is not surprising that irrational behavior and ideas are dominant among humans.

Evolutionists, Atheists and even agnostics practice their concept with religious fervor.

How do we practice our concept exactly? Do we pray to science labs or something? Do we memorize physics books like bibles? Do we have gravity churches where we worship our Gravity God? This is ridiculous.

You will find that most people who believe in evolution don't really give it much thought just like people who believe in gravity are not constantly obsessed with it. Atheists and agnostics are just as obsessed with their non-religiosity as non-football fans are with theirs which is not at all.

I do not think you know much about evolution, biology, secular people, or science in general. Several informed people here could answer my question about human intelligence but since you are uninformed you just rambled about your 19th century idea that animals aren't intelligent, making irrational arguments that intelligence animals would kill off all the non-intelligent ones, and demonizing people who accept the theory of evolution and demonizing non-religious people.
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:01:24 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 12:21:03 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?
Intelligence evolved so we would be capable of understanding god/the universe.

Hmmm, is there any evidence for this?
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:03:21 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 8:25:32 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

YES thank you for answering

It all started with our bipedalism, this caused our hands to become free so we could use tools, because we became tool users this meant that those with greater intelligence (Could use tools more effectively) were more likely to survive (Natural selection etc), as well as this, increased nutrition due to being able to hunt animals for meat (As well as other resources) also helped promote skull expansion and brain development.

TLDR; We became smarter because it was naturally selected for

Yes, bipedialism is often noted as the beginning of our intelligence evolution. However hominids were bipedal for millions of years before they became significantly more intelligent. This indicates that something else may have also been involved.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:14:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

You should update the science you know. there is a stringer correlation between surface area of brain then just size, to cognitive abilities. Roughly speaking the more wrinkles the more cognitive functions.

Second my question was snarky. It wasn't to ask for evidence the humans evolved but that human intelligence exists at all.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 7:24:13 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

I have no idea how intelligence evolved so I can not answer that question, But I think it would be a mistake to conflate the size of the brain with intelligence,

Are those with the biggest brains the most intelligent? or are those with smaller brains any less intelligent, and furthermore what to say of one patient who had virtually little to no brain whatsoever and still achieved a higher than average IQ?

The student in question was academically bright, had a reported IQ of 126 and was expected to graduate. When he was examined by CAT-scan, however, Lorber discovered that he had virtually no brain at all.

Instead of two hemispheres filling the cranial cavity, some 4.5 centimetres deep, the student had less than 1 millimetre of cerebral tissue covering the top of his spinal column. The student was suffering from hydrocephalus, the condition in which the cerebrospinal fluid, instead of circulating around the brain and entering the bloodstream, becomes dammed up inside.

http://www.rense.com...

Or what to say about those cases of terminal lucidity, where people who live in a vegetative state where the brain is severely compromised but display a very lucid and clear consciousness just moments before passing away?

Is the brain really responsible for intelligence or is it simply acting as a conduit for consciousness?
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:10:51 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 6:14:56 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

You should update the science you know. there is a stringer correlation between surface area of brain then just size, to cognitive abilities. Roughly speaking the more wrinkles the more cognitive functions.

Second my question was snarky. It wasn't to ask for evidence the humans evolved but that human intelligence exists at all.

I am sure there is a lot more to intelligence than just brain to body size ratio but there still is a strong correlation. And that becomes useful for fossil hominids where we don't have any living specimens. We also find that later hominids have more and more advanced tools buried with them.

What do you mean when you say that human intelligence doesn't exist?
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:12:43 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 7:24:13 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

I have no idea how intelligence evolved so I can not answer that question, But I think it would be a mistake to conflate the size of the brain with intelligence,

Are those with the biggest brains the most intelligent? or are those with smaller brains any less intelligent, and furthermore what to say of one patient who had virtually little to no brain whatsoever and still achieved a higher than average IQ?

The student in question was academically bright, had a reported IQ of 126 and was expected to graduate. When he was examined by CAT-scan, however, Lorber discovered that he had virtually no brain at all.

Instead of two hemispheres filling the cranial cavity, some 4.5 centimetres deep, the student had less than 1 millimetre of cerebral tissue covering the top of his spinal column. The student was suffering from hydrocephalus, the condition in which the cerebrospinal fluid, instead of circulating around the brain and entering the bloodstream, becomes dammed up inside.

http://www.rense.com...

Or what to say about those cases of terminal lucidity, where people who live in a vegetative state where the brain is severely compromised but display a very lucid and clear consciousness just moments before passing away?

Is the brain really responsible for intelligence or is it simply acting as a conduit for consciousness?

Of course brain size does not determine intelligence. What is more important is brain body ratio and this seems to be correlated to the intelligence of a species.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 11:21:40 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 2:00:54 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 12:14:03 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

There are many things that are curious in so far as development via evolution is concerned.

You need to go back to the one cell/ two cell start, if it happened that way. At what stage did intelligence, the emotions, anger, love,fear,ability to think things out with reason and logic, what determined the sexual behavior of the one and two cell beings, and many more normal human attributes that are not found in lesser animals.

You reasoning is a bit weird unlike others on this forum. I am only concerned with how advanced intelligence that is unique to humans evolved. If you want to research how basic intelligence evolved I guess you can study mice or lizards or something. Also, my question is not about sexual behavior or how emotions evolved.

You said: So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

ME: How is my reasoning weird, or is ti that your perception of your own questions are weird?


If you are going to argue that animals do all these intangible things, then you will have to show the reasoning of the animal. The difference is that animals do things by instinct and environmental situation, whereas humans will reason the situation out and adjust accordingly.

I am not talking about animal reasoning and by the way behavioral observation and experimentation has definitely verified animal intelligence. Animal intelligence was only controversial in the 1800s.

Please inform yourself:
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

ME: And the Micky Mouse show.

It is not logical to think that all the intangibles came in a short period of time, and as by natural selection as the ones that could think would wipe out those that couldn't. This has been the trait of "intelligent beings" since their beginnings.

First off intelligence did not start with humans. Also your argument that intelligent hominids did not evolve does not make any sense. Notice how humans are the only hominids left? Because of our intelligence we did wipe out the other hominids. Now there are other animals around with lower intelligence but they are not always competing for the exact same research we are, which is why cells were not wiped out by humans.

ME: IF we came form apes, why are there still apes?

If humans developed the need for some religious learning, why haven't that animals shown some trace of that in their systems of life.

Some say that the difference between animals and humans is that humans are rational, reasonable (able to reason) and religious, and we must admit that man in all his forms has developed a hereafter and a spiritual god of some sort...Why? IF we are simply evolved, who put religion on our DNA.

There is no evidence that religion is in our genes. It is just a way of thought that many people have, just like liberalism or conservatism. Religious ideas like other human ideas are too complex for animal intelligence which is why animals are not religious. Human brains are not perfect and is still mostly run by emotion. So it is not surprising that irrational behavior and ideas are dominant among humans.

Evolutionists, Atheists and even agnostics practice their concept with religious fervor.

How do we practice our concept exactly? Do we pray to science labs or something? Do we memorize physics books like bibles? Do we have gravity churches where we worship our Gravity God? This is ridiculous.

ME: When you meet up with the constant barrage of insults form these groups, it is very obvious how religious these ones really are. Definition of religious ...: fervent, zealous.

You will find that most people who believe in evolution don't really give it much thought just like people who believe in gravity are not constantly obsessed with it. Atheists and agnostics are just as obsessed with their non-religiosity as non-football fans are with theirs which is not at all.

I do not think you know much about evolution, biology, secular people, or science in general. Several informed people here could answer my question about human intelligence but since you are uninformed you just rambled about your 19th century idea that animals aren't intelligent, making irrational arguments that intelligence animals would kill off all the non-intelligent ones, and demonizing people who accept the theory of evolution and demonizing non-religious people.

ME:: So survival of the fittest is not in your book of evolutionary guess work?

ME: Demonizing??? this is not religious in content????? If evolution was a one line theory one could look at it with logic and determine its value, but like religion there are too many theories for the concept to be evaluated.. It is all right for the likes of you, you just jump from statement to statement, from theory to theory, in the evolution books of fairy tales and build you own argument that you then present as "Fact", hoping to confuse, which you do well.
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 1:39:41 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 11:21:40 PM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/21/2016 2:00:54 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 12:14:03 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

There are many things that are curious in so far as development via evolution is concerned.

You need to go back to the one cell/ two cell start, if it happened that way. At what stage did intelligence, the emotions, anger, love,fear,ability to think things out with reason and logic, what determined the sexual behavior of the one and two cell beings, and many more normal human attributes that are not found in lesser animals.

You reasoning is a bit weird unlike others on this forum. I am only concerned with how advanced intelligence that is unique to humans evolved. If you want to research how basic intelligence evolved I guess you can study mice or lizards or something. Also, my question is not about sexual behavior or how emotions evolved.

You said: So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

ME: How is my reasoning weird, or is ti that your perception of your own questions are weird?

Because you didn't really answer my question. You instead were talking about animal intelligence instead of human intelligence. I like straightforward answers.

If you are going to argue that animals do all these intangible things, then you will have to show the reasoning of the animal. The difference is that animals do things by instinct and environmental situation, whereas humans will reason the situation out and adjust accordingly.

I am not talking about animal reasoning and by the way behavioral observation and experimentation has definitely verified animal intelligence. Animal intelligence was only controversial in the 1800s.

Please inform yourself:
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

ME: And the Micky Mouse show.

I am not surprised you have a Mickey Mouse show.

It is not logical to think that all the intangibles came in a short period of time, and as by natural selection as the ones that could think would wipe out those that couldn't. This has been the trait of "intelligent beings" since their beginnings.

First off intelligence did not start with humans. Also your argument that intelligent hominids did not evolve does not make any sense. Notice how humans are the only hominids left? Because of our intelligence we did wipe out the other hominids. Now there are other animals around with lower intelligence but they are not always competing for the exact same research we are, which is why cells were not wiped out by humans.

ME: IF we came form apes, why are there still apes?

The fact that you asked this question means you don't understand the theory of evolution very well. I guess most people don't.

You could have easily googled this question to find an answer. Here is a link that answers it:
http://www.pbs.org...

"If humans evolved from apes then why are there still apes?
Humans did not evolve from present-day apes. Rather, humans and apes share a common ancestor that gave rise to both. This common ancestor, although not identical to modern apes, was almost certainly more apelike than humanlike in appearance and behavior. At some point -- scientists estimate that between 5 and 8 million years ago -- this species diverged into two distinct lineages, one of which were the hominids, or humanlike species, and the other ultimately evolved into the African great ape species living today. "

If humans developed the need for some religious learning, why haven't that animals shown some trace of that in their systems of life.

Some say that the difference between animals and humans is that humans are rational, reasonable (able to reason) and religious, and we must admit that man in all his forms has developed a hereafter and a spiritual god of some sort...Why? IF we are simply evolved, who put religion on our DNA.

There is no evidence that religion is in our genes. It is just a way of thought that many people have, just like liberalism or conservatism. Religious ideas like other human ideas are too complex for animal intelligence which is why animals are not religious. Human brains are not perfect and is still mostly run by emotion. So it is not surprising that irrational behavior and ideas are dominant among humans.

Evolutionists, Atheists and even agnostics practice their concept with religious fervor.

How do we practice our concept exactly? Do we pray to science labs or something? Do we memorize physics books like bibles? Do we have gravity churches where we worship our Gravity God? This is ridiculous.

ME: When you meet up with the constant barrage of insults form these groups, it is very obvious how religious these ones really are. Definition of religious ...: fervent, zealous.

Well, this is a debate forum so it is not surprising that the atheists you see here are the debating type. Most atheists do not go to debate forums like this.

You will find that most people who believe in evolution don't really give it much thought just like people who believe in gravity are not constantly obsessed with it. Atheists and agnostics are just as obsessed with their non-religiosity as non-football fans are with theirs which is not at all.

I do not think you know much about evolution, biology, secular people, or science in general. Several informed people here could answer my question about human intelligence but since you are uninformed you just rambled about your 19th century idea that animals aren't intelligent, making irrational arguments that intelligence animals would kill off all the non-intelligent ones, and demonizing people who accept the theory of evolution and demonizing non-religious people.

ME:: So survival of the fittest is not in your book of evolutionary guess work?

You just called evolutionists insulting now look at what you are doing. I addressed your natural selection argument before and if you have a problem with it you can address my rebuttal.

ME: Demonizing??? this is not religious in content????? If evolution was a one line theory one could look at it with logic and determine its value, but like religion there are too many theories for the concept to be evaluated.. It is all right for the likes of you, you just jump from statement to statement, from theory to theory, in the evolution books of fairy tales and build you own argument that you then present as "Fact", hoping to confuse, which you do well.

You make it seem like non-religious people are fervently anti-religious.

I was just hoping for rational explanations for why human intelligence evolved. Instead you just demonized the non-religious, and make bad arguments against evolution because you don't understand it. Why don't you google evolution and read about it before you attack it?
keithprosser
Posts: 2,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:41:19 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Second my question was snarky. It wasn't to ask for evidence the humans evolved but that human intelligence exists at all.

I's suggest you check out the comments on Youtibe videos. I think that will provide all the evidence you need as to whether human intelligence exists or not.

Here is my real answer to the OP.

Human intelligence is probably greater than that of other species for the same reason elephant's noses are more advanced than most noses.

If elephants only had to compete with non-elephants they could have much less good trunks and still be able to see off any non-elephant which tried to muscle in on their ecological niche.

But the biggest competitor for an individual elephant are the other elephants in its herd. To win the elephant-v-elephant competion a trunk slightly better the average trunk is always an advantage, so natural selection will favour elephants with ever stronger, longer and more flexible trunks, even long after trunks were good enough to see off any competition from other species in the pulling leaves of trees department.

Hence intra-specific (ie within the same species) competition often has the effect of taking some feature and exaggerating it. Because intra-specific competition is often intense and uni-directional it can result in rapid evoltion of some critical trait. It helps explains how animals can acquire exteme adaptations (like elephant trunks) and become highly specialised.

With humans, it was our intelligence (not our noses) that mattered in our competition with our fellows. That doesn't mean the smart ones killed the stupid ones - it only means that the smart ones left slightly more offspring than the stupid ones.

The fact that only humans show such highly developed intelligence is no different from the fact that only elephants have such well developed trunks. Presumably conditions for our ancestors were such that intelligence is what really mattered when it came to leaving offspring. Such conditions must be rare - most of the time it is better to get bigger or stronger. But just as elephants came to rely on their trunks and so competed (in the evolutionary sense) on the quality of their trunks, our ancestor's reliance on intelligence drove up that intelligence way beyond that of other species because our ancestors were competing against each other, not other species.

Or possibly it was space aliens genetically altering apes. I can't decide which.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:52:08 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

ME: http://mste.illinois.edu...

This site contradicts your statement, just as evolutionists contradict each other. According to the site I provided the Beaver is more "Intellegent than a gorilla.

The Beaver has a body weight of 1.3k and a brain weight of 465g. (That is a large ratio)
The Gorilla has a body weight of 207k and a brain weight of 406g

According to this site the gorilla, although having a bigger body weight has a less brain weight than the Beaver, and that is not comparable, it is literal.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 7:03:39 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 7:50:41 PM, keithprosser wrote:
I've been looking in vain for a convenient link, but in the absence of one allow me to claim that the rate at which hominid brains expanded is actually one of the most rapid examples of adaptive evolution known, happening over 10s of thousands of years not the millions evolution often needs.

When you get such rapid and extreme adaptation the cause can often be competition within a species rather than between species.

Consider ant-eaters, a species with remarkably long snouts. If ant-eaters had shorter snouts that they do they would still be much better at eating ants than other species, but a longer snout would be an advantage over a shorter one. The net result is immediate and constant pressure for ant-eater snouts to get longer and longer due to the competition for ants between ant-eaters.

ME: what happens to the short snout anteater while they are waiting delivery of the long snouts, which in evolutionary terms could be millions of years. IF they could survive that long with short snouts, why bother to change...That is not intelligent by any means.

Maybe, if as you say these animals have intelligence, why didn't they just change their diets to cockroaches. I suppose the anteater would have some social problem with being called a roacheater.

As the biggest competitors for an ant-eater are other ant-eaters, the evolutionary pressure is large, resulting in rapid change in a particular fixed direction. Most examples of extreme adaption only make sense in terms of intra- (as opposed to inter-) species competition.

ME: There are still short nosed anteaters in the world, and they are doing very well. These are the monotreme , the echidna of the Australian bush.

It seems likely that something similar happened with hominid brains. Once if even only a slightly increased intelligence arose (on the safe assumption intelligence gives its owner an advantage) there would be pressure for intelligence to increase due to competition within the species.

I'd say intelligence didn't have to evolve (it didn't amongst fish or dinosaurs despite their long tenures), but once it does, it probably would increase rapidly.

None of these changes you speak of are found in fossil records...Where are the fossil records of a giraffe (of the ovine Kind) that shows that it's neck is lengthening and that it has developed three pumps along the neck. Would it have two pumps first then three pumps? Difficult to see these things happening without some outside assistance.

ME: This is just one example of no proof for statements made.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 7:05:40 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Why would there be a need for brain size expansion. The human brain has far more scope of intelligence than is used as it is, and to me, this seems to detract from the theory of evolution.
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:34:06 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 7:05:40 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
Why would there be a need for brain size expansion. The human brain has far more scope of intelligence than is used as it is, and to me, this seems to detract from the theory of evolution.

Perhaps because the assertion "The human brain has far more scope of intelligence than is used as it is" is false. It does seem to be true that some people have a naturally abnormal level of intelligence, but this is mainly shown from very modern uses of our intelligence in figuring out very complicated problems that have very little to do with basic survival.

The average person fully uses their brain in their daily lives and there is no reason to think that this would not have been true 50,000 years ago when every day was a direct struggle for survival.
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 1:38:26 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 6:52:08 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

ME: http://mste.illinois.edu...

This site contradicts your statement, just as evolutionists contradict each other. According to the site I provided the Beaver is more "Intellegent than a gorilla.

The Beaver has a body weight of 1.3k and a brain weight of 465g. (That is a large ratio)
The Gorilla has a body weight of 207k and a brain weight of 406g

According to this site the gorilla, although having a bigger body weight has a less brain weight than the Beaver, and that is not comparable, it is literal.

First off brain body ratio is correlated with intelligence not proof of intelligence and there are going to be exceptions but we do see a general trend. Also, you are completely wrong about the beaver's brain. The parts of the brain that is expanded is also important.

These three sources below says that the beaver's brain weight is 45 g for a 15 kg beaver. Beavers are between 12 and 25 kg.
https://faculty.washington.edu...
https://books.google.com...
https://books.google.com...

Apes are much larger than beavers and if beavers had brains bigger than apes their heads would be huge and unwieldy. Did you really think that the beaver's brain is half the size of a human's. They are small animals that weight 50 pounds. With huge heads like that they would not be able to swim.

Why did you make such a silly claim based on a typo from a source that said 465 g instead of 46.5 g? Why didn't you just do a simple google search? Why are you even in this discussion?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:03:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 1:38:26 PM, distraff wrote:
At 2/23/2016 6:52:08 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

ME: http://mste.illinois.edu...

This site contradicts your statement, just as evolutionists contradict each other. According to the site I provided the Beaver is more "Intellegent than a gorilla.

The Beaver has a body weight of 1.3k and a brain weight of 465g. (That is a large ratio)
The Gorilla has a body weight of 207k and a brain weight of 406g

According to this site the gorilla, although having a bigger body weight has a less brain weight than the Beaver, and that is not comparable, it is literal.

First off brain body ratio is correlated with intelligence not proof of intelligence and there are going to be exceptions but we do see a general trend. Also, you are completely wrong about the beaver's brain. The parts of the brain that is expanded is also important.

These three sources below says that the beaver's brain weight is 45 g for a 15 kg beaver. Beavers are between 12 and 25 kg.
https://faculty.washington.edu...
https://books.google.com...
https://books.google.com...

Apes are much larger than beavers and if beavers had brains bigger than apes their heads would be huge and unwieldy. Did you really think that the beaver's brain is half the size of a human's. They are small animals that weight 50 pounds. With huge heads like that they would not be able to swim.

Why did you make such a silly claim based on a typo from a source that said 465 g instead of 46.5 g? Why didn't you just do a simple google search? Why are you even in this discussion?

You still haven't demonstrated that human intelligence exists.

Plus there have been hominids with a third less brain size and hominids with a third Bigger brain size.

The idea that modern human beings were the most intelligent is foolish. Especially if you want to relate it to brain size. then heidelberg and Boskop Man would be geniuses.

The idea that modern humans are smarter than some goat herder 4000 years ago is just as foolish. Because genetically we are not that different but more importantly based on your brain size = intelligence modern human brains have been shrinking.
http://discovermagazine.com...

But then again It's a common theme among the intelligent that mankind is degrading, getting dumber.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:05:06 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
To add the reason why modern humans were more successful than our coexisting hominids was not because of a bigger brain. It was because of a higher sexual drive and increased aggressiveness. IMHO
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:10:31 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/24/2016 2:03:36 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/23/2016 1:38:26 PM, distraff wrote:
At 2/23/2016 6:52:08 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 2/21/2016 4:33:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 2/21/2016 3:30:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

You are equating brain size with intelligence. Generally brain size is proportionate to body size more than it is to intelligence.

For most animals it is. However we find that apes have a much higher brain size to body size ratio than other animals with humans being the most extreme. So a large brain to body ratio is strong evidence of intelligence. You can also look at the cranium and look at the parts of the brain that are expanded. For example the frontal lobe which controls logic and reasoning is expanded compared to other animals. You can also do behavioral studies to determine intelligence if the species is alive today. That was a good question. Thanks for asking it.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com...

Plus can you provide evidence that any intelligent human has evolved?

That is not such a good question. We have a strong fossil record supporting human evolution, vestigial organs, plenty of DNA evidence from comparison of human and ape DNA (retroviruses, pseudogenes, gene fusion), and hominid DNA.

We have known for 150 years that humans evolved and have overwhelming evidence for it. Now why do you think intelligence evolved?

ME: http://mste.illinois.edu...

This site contradicts your statement, just as evolutionists contradict each other. According to the site I provided the Beaver is more "Intellegent than a gorilla.

The Beaver has a body weight of 1.3k and a brain weight of 465g. (That is a large ratio)
The Gorilla has a body weight of 207k and a brain weight of 406g

According to this site the gorilla, although having a bigger body weight has a less brain weight than the Beaver, and that is not comparable, it is literal.

First off brain body ratio is correlated with intelligence not proof of intelligence and there are going to be exceptions but we do see a general trend. Also, you are completely wrong about the beaver's brain. The parts of the brain that is expanded is also important.

These three sources below says that the beaver's brain weight is 45 g for a 15 kg beaver. Beavers are between 12 and 25 kg.
https://faculty.washington.edu...
https://books.google.com...
https://books.google.com...

Apes are much larger than beavers and if beavers had brains bigger than apes their heads would be huge and unwieldy. Did you really think that the beaver's brain is half the size of a human's. They are small animals that weight 50 pounds. With huge heads like that they would not be able to swim.

Why did you make such a silly claim based on a typo from a source that said 465 g instead of 46.5 g? Why didn't you just do a simple google search? Why are you even in this discussion?

You still haven't demonstrated that human intelligence exists.

See what you are looking at? Its a computer. A product of human intelligence. Enough said.

Plus there have been hominids with a third less brain size and hominids with a third Bigger brain size.

Absolute brain size is not as important as brain body ratio. Also the parts of the brain e.g. frontal lobe and communication centers is important as well.

The idea that modern human beings were the most intelligent is foolish. Especially if you want to relate it to brain size. then heidelberg and Boskop Man would be geniuses.

I never said absolute brain size is proof of intelligence.

The idea that modern humans are smarter than some goat herder 4000 years ago is just as foolish.

I never said that.

Because genetically we are not that different

What does that have to do with intelligence?

but more importantly based on your brain size = intelligence modern human brains have been shrinking.
http://discovermagazine.com...

Ok, what does that have to do with brain size body ratio and the parts of the brain being bigger being correlated with intelligence between species?

But then again It's a common theme among the intelligent that mankind is degrading, getting dumber.

I don't know one way or the other if that is true.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 6:39:17 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 12:34:06 PM, Floid wrote:
At 2/23/2016 7:05:40 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
Why would there be a need for brain size expansion. The human brain has far more scope of intelligence than is used as it is, and to me, this seems to detract from the theory of evolution.

Perhaps because the assertion "The human brain has far more scope of intelligence than is used as it is" is false. It does seem to be true that some people have a naturally abnormal level of intelligence, but this is mainly shown from very modern uses of our intelligence in figuring out very complicated problems that have very little to do with basic survival.

The average person fully uses their brain in their daily lives and there is no reason to think that this would not have been true 50,000 years ago when every day was a direct struggle for survival.

ME: Many have tried to prove your statement and failed. You have to argue with the ones that believe in ESP, in those that have dreams that they cannot interpret. How about those that are subject to hypnosis, or can hypnotize. IF the brain is used to full capacity each day or any day or time even, we could learn all the disciplines of every subject that ever existed. I am not the only one that would consider that more factual than your statement...But this is a debating forum, Hey?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 11:34:33 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

The proto-chimp-man left the trees, started using its hands more and eating a broader diet? You don't retrospectively look at a branch of evolution and say what caused this. It's not a matter of cause.
I like these guys: https://youtu.be...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:23:10 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/24/2016 6:39:17 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
ME: Many have tried to prove your statement and failed. You have to argue with the ones that believe in ESP, in those that have dreams that they cannot interpret. How about those that are subject to hypnosis, or can hypnotize. IF the brain is used to full capacity each day or any day or time even, we could learn all the disciplines of every subject that ever existed. I am not the only one that would consider that more factual than your statement...But this is a debating forum, Hey?

I don't have to argue with the ones that believe in ESP, hypnosis, or other unfounded assumptions because the burden of proof is on them and they have never met it.

Fortunately we have science and not your unfounded opinions to go on. Scientist have used EEGs and other devices to measure the brain activity of people as they perform their daily task. What they found is that during the course of the day we utilize all regions of our brain.

http://www.scientificamerican.com...
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:52:40 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM, distraff wrote:
Hello everyone I have a simple question. The human race is far more intelligent than any other species and this massive intelligence evolved over only a few million years.

I find that the first hominids like A. Afarensis or A. Africanus were basically apes that walked on two legs. It wasn't until the hominids like homo habilis and homo erectus that we saw brain sizes expand.

So what sparked this expansion in our intelligence?

Intelligence has continued to evolve in many, if not most, species. We are just the furthest along.

When phenotypical deviation produces an organism that is more intelligent than the average intelligence of that species, it is better suited to survive/reproduce.