Jump to topic:

Gravitational waves confirmed

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 10:03:39 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Woke today to find out gravitational waves are confirmed, nice work LIGO. If I am not mistaken, thats all of Einsteins tests to confirm general relativity (Even though it was fairly confirmed before).
Meh!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 12:16:35 AM
At 2/11/2016 10:03:39 PM, Axonly wrote:
Woke today to find out gravitational waves are confirmed, nice work LIGO. If I am not mistaken, thats all of Einsteins tests to confirm general relativity (Even though it was fairly confirmed before).

Hi Axonly. Yes. The relevant paper has published in Physical Review Letters here: [http://journals.aps.org...]. I excerpt the abstract below:

On September 14, 2015 at 09:50:45 UTC the two detectors of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory simultaneously observed a transient gravitational-wave signal. The signal sweeps upwards in frequency from 35 to 250 Hz with a peak gravitational-wave strain of 1.0 x 10 ^ -21. It matches the waveform predicted by general relativity for the inspiral and merger of a pair of black holes and the ringdown of the resulting single black hole. The signal was observed with a matched-filter signal-to-noise ratio of 24 and a false alarm rate estimated to be less than 1 event per 203,000 years. All uncertainties define 90% credible intervals. These observations demonstrate the existence of binary stellar-mass black hole systems. This is the first direct detection of gravitational waves and the first observation of a binary black hole merger.

So now at almost six months later: c'mon guys, where's my gravitational wave surfboard? Boom-box? Ray-gun? :p
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 5:08:57 AM
Capt. Ajit VadakayilFebruary 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

PLAGIARIST ALBERT EINSTEIN HAD NOTHING ORIGINAL OF HIS OWN. . . . HE WAS POOR IN MATHS AND EVEN HIS MATH EQUATIONS WERE OUTSOURCED TO INDIA . . . . .

IN SANATANA DHARMA GRAVITATIONAL SOLITON WAVES SHOOT THE SOUL TO ONE OF THE 7 ASTRAL LAYERS . . . . . ..WHEN WE BREAK A COCONUT WITH INTENTION A SOLITON WAVE CARRIES. . . .

The Benjamin-Bona-Mahony equation ( BBM equation ) had tried to explain this phenomenon- . . this was an innovation of the Cnoidal wave propounded by the Korteweg- de Vries equation. . .

THE WHOLE THING BOILED DOWN TO WHY HINDUS BREAK COCONUTS IN KERALA TEMPLES FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS ( THIS IS ON RECORD ) . . . .

THE HUMAN SOUL RIDES ON A SOLITON ( TSUNAMI ) WAVE AS SOON AS THE SKULL POPS DURING CREMATION . . .. . . .

IN BURIAL RELIGIONS THE SOUL IS HOPELESSLY TRAPPED ON EARTH (DARGAH CONCEPT). .. .

VEDANTA ALWAYS HAS THE LAST LAUGH. . . . .ALBERT EINSTEIN WAS A THIEF . .

INDIAN MAHARISHIS WERE NOT MERE DREAMERS - THEY DID 3D MATH IN THEIR FRACTAL MINDS .. .

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in...

capt ajit vadakayil

Replies

Capt. Ajit VadakayilFebruary 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 7:03:05 AM
At 2/12/2016 12:16:35 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Hi Axonly. Yes. The relevant paper has published in Physical Review Letters here: [http://journals.aps.org...]. I excerpt the abstract below:

On September 14, 2015 at 09:50:45 UTC the two detectors of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory simultaneously observed a transient gravitational-wave signal. The signal sweeps upwards in frequency from 35 to 250 Hz with a peak gravitational-wave strain of 1.0 x 10 ^ -21. It matches the waveform predicted by general relativity for the inspiral and merger of a pair of black holes and the ringdown of the resulting single black hole. The signal was observed with a matched-filter signal-to-noise ratio of 24 and a false alarm rate estimated to be less than 1 event per 203,000 years. All uncertainties define 90% credible intervals. These observations demonstrate the existence of binary stellar-mass black hole systems. This is the first direct detection of gravitational waves and the first observation of a binary black hole merger.

So now at almost six months later: c'mon guys, where's my gravitational wave surfboard? Boom-box? Ray-gun? :p

I was going to ask this in religion, but came here and saw you posted - i wanted to know: Does this have any religious implications? Does it favor any supernatural hypotheses? Or, how about the A - B theory of time? I am a layman here, so i thought you'd might be able to help out :-) I was just curious as to what arguments may come up due to this confirmation, if any, in regards to "religion."
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 11:40:13 AM
At 2/12/2016 7:03:05 AM, Outplayz wrote:
I was going to ask this in religion, but came here and saw you posted - i wanted to know: Does this have any religious implications? Does it favor any supernatural hypotheses? Or, how about the A - B theory of time? I am a layman here, so i thought you'd might be able to help out :-) I was just curious as to what arguments may come up due to this confirmation, if any, in regards to "religion."

If it contradicts any religious ideas, those who hold such ideas will claim that this is a scam by the scientific community. Others will claim that their holy book knew this all along. Neither group will have any real evidence to back up their assertions.

See above for an amusing example of a poster who tries to do a bit of both at the same time.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 11:54:54 AM

Einstein said it won't be proven tho. But I'll let that slide . I picture Einstein sitting next to GOD rubbing his hands together with a smug grin saying I told you so.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 12:09:41 PM

Zero implications to religion other than confirmation that space time is actually something which gives more credibility to hypothesis such as big bang. Science is never a threat to religion. It is a threat to people who proclaim they know how God executed it's plan.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 1:22:12 PM
At 2/12/2016 12:09:41 PM, slo1 wrote:

Zero implications to religion other than confirmation that space time is actually something which gives more credibility to hypothesis such as big bang. Science is never a threat to religion. It is a threat to people who proclaim they know how God executed it's plan.

But Einstein's brilliance is proved over and over, his beyond brilliant. You listen to people like that.

Ask this brilliant man if a God exist? No.
Religion goes backwards.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 5:22:31 PM

The real question, that no physicists have responded to when I have asked, is if this discovery can also support Lorentz Ether Theory or not.
If not, then it is even greater of a discovery than people think.
If so, then I wonder why everyone keeps focusing on Einstein's theory of relativity. Yes, he got a prediction right, but it wouldn't "prove" his theory.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 5:25:55 PM

This is why I keep asking physicists about Lorentz Ether Theory.

Einsteins theory of relativity entails the B-Theory of Time.
Lorentz Ether Theory entails the A-Theory of Time.
So far, all empirical evidence for one equally works for the other (it is just that the prior probabilities favor Einstein).
If this discovery doesn't support Lorentz Ether Theory, then the B-Theory of Time becomes A LOT more likely, and then the Tenseless Cosmological Argument is entailed and the Kalam Cosmological Argument is refuted purely scientifically.
#WarOnDDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 3:52:57 PM
@SNP1

A Lorentzian "ether" doesn't entail an A-series of time -- it merely allows its possibility.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:22:23 PM
At 2/13/2016 3:52:57 PM, tejretics wrote:
@SNP1

A Lorentzian "ether" doesn't entail an A-series of time -- it merely allows its possibility.

Really? I watched a video a few months ago where I heard (might be misremembering) William Lane Craig say that LET entails Presentism.
#WarOnDDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:25:26 PM
At 2/13/2016 5:22:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
@SNP1

Really? I watched a video a few months ago where I heard (might be misremembering) William Lane Craig say that LET entails Presentism.

He's wrong. Craig claims that presentism and A-series are the "default position," so if they aren't impossible, they're true. I don't buy that. Physicalism could still explain our perception of time, and B-series explains SR and GR very well.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:26:50 PM
The neo-Lorentzian interpretation of SR is really interesting, though, and I really need to look deeper into it.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:29:08 PM
At 2/13/2016 5:25:26 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/13/2016 5:22:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
@SNP1

He's wrong.

Interesting. I, personally, don't know too much about LET outside of how apologists connect it to the A-Theory of Time, that it proposes an ether (and neo-LET proposes an undetectable ether), that it has time as a constant, and a few other basics.

Craig claims that presentism and A-series are the "default position," so if they aren't impossible, they're true. I don't buy that. Physicalism could still explain our perception of time, and B-series explains SR and GR very well.

Never heard that before (about Craig).
#WarOnDDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:30:09 PM
At 2/13/2016 5:29:08 PM, SNP1 wrote:

You should read Craig's defenses of A-series in irl debates (see some videos and/or transcripts). He argues that since we perceive time as linear, it has most explanatory power.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:32:20 PM
At 2/13/2016 5:30:09 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/13/2016 5:29:08 PM, SNP1 wrote:

You should read Craig's defenses of A-series in irl debates (see some videos and/or transcripts). He argues that since we perceive time as linear, it has most explanatory power.

I understand arguing that intuition supports it (and I know he likes arguing from intuition) more than the B(or C)-series.
I just don't understand why WLC puts so much into intuition arguments.
#WarOnDDO
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:56:40 PM

I went to one of the LIGO observatories a while ago, it's not very far from me. While Einstein was right about the theory of relativity, he didn't believe in black holes or that gravitational waves were strong enough to be detected.