Jump to topic:

Chemistry: Poison and Plants

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 4:11:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Okay, let me set this straight right now. I am NOT talking about poisonous plants. I don't care about poison ivy and all that crap. I mean poisons that can be tested on plants and not animals or humans.

Why am I asking this? I have a chemistry project, and my partner and I settled on poisons as our subject. We need to prove that our poisons work, and find a bunch of info on this. Obviously, we can't test this on humans or animals, but plants is a viable option for this.

So, does anyone here have a strange knowledge on plants, soil, chemistry, poisons, or toxins that kill plants...maybe all of that, yeah that'd be great.

So any info, please lemme know, with any links you may have to provide said info, help give me more info, have sources to cite, etc etc. Info please :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 5:12:52 PM
At 2/12/2016 4:11:09 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Okay, let me set this straight right now. I am NOT talking about poisonous plants. I don't care about poison ivy and all that crap. I mean poisons that can be tested on plants and not animals or humans.

Why am I asking this? I have a chemistry project, and my partner and I settled on poisons as our subject. We need to prove that our poisons work, and find a bunch of info on this. Obviously, we can't test this on humans or animals, but plants is a viable option for this.

So, does anyone here have a strange knowledge on plants, soil, chemistry, poisons, or toxins that kill plants...maybe all of that, yeah that'd be great.

So any info, please lemme know, with any links you may have to provide said info, help give me more info, have sources to cite, etc etc. Info please :3

Anything that bonds to chlorophyll works, heavy metals, and the like. Am I to understand you need it to be an herbicide without being lethal/dangerous to anything else? Or do you need an analog to substitute for WHY specifically your poison works that is similar in nature between plants an animals that you are trying to effect?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 5:19:54 PM
Since it's about botany, you should probably ask Skep...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 8:08:07 PM

Look up herbicides

As for a safe poison to use on plants salt. When salt reachs a high enough concentration it interferes with osmosis and toxic

Project might consist of watering plants with different concentrations of salt water
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 1:24:39 AM
Posted: 9 months ago

Sola dosis facit venenum, first of all.

That being said, look into synthetic herbicides or allelopathic secretions (like juglone). There are many different examples of herbicides. Some literally melt plasma membranes, of people or plants. Others block metabolic processes (roundup is one) or photosynthesis itself through various mechanisms, or are plant hormones.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:54:43 PM
At 2/19/2016 1:24:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Sola dosis facit venenum, first of all.

That being said, look into synthetic herbicides or allelopathic secretions (like juglone). There are many different examples of herbicides. Some literally melt plasma membranes, of people or plants. Others block metabolic processes (roundup is one) or photosynthesis itself through various mechanisms, or are plant hormones.

Thanks for the response, Skep :3
You got anything else on the subject, or any cites/books to suggest for this kinda thing?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 6:29:42 PM
I have a chemistry project, and my partner and I settled on poisons as our subject. We need to prove that our poisons work, and find a bunch of info on this. Obviously, we can't test this on humans or animals, but plants is a viable option for this.
At 2/19/2016 1:24:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Sola dosis facit venenum

I was going to point this out, but then Skep did so in Latin.

Nice one, Skep. :)

I'm still wondering what though Vaarka, is the question though, that the project will address? Is it verifying as Skep points out, that toxicity is about dosage? Or is it about take-up rates and dispersal, or saturation, or administration methods, or variations in effect between plants? Or recovery rates or some other measure of efficacy?

What's your interest in poisons, and what do you hope to demonstrate or falsify? Also, what are your constraints for conducting the experiment? What do you have available, and how do you hope to create accurate, repeatable methods?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 6:30:36 PM
At 2/20/2016 6:29:42 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I'm still wondering what though Vaarka, is the question though
[Gah. Sorry for bad grammar/crappy editing. Just woke up; no coffee yet. :p]