Jump to topic:

RuvDubbra sing-offs

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:49:02 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At the end of a post Ruv will sign off with "I hope this helps". I think what he really means to say is IMEO : in my expert opinion.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 6:19:25 PM
At 2/13/2016 9:49:02 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At the end of a post Ruv will sign off with "I hope this helps". I think what he really means to say is IMEO : in my expert opinion.

I would challenge you or Ruv to a sing-off any day.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:24:09 PM
At 2/14/2016 7:10:54 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
I was typing from my phone

So, what's it gonna be? Queens's Bohemian Rhapsody or Aretha Franklin's Respect?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:25:38 PM
At 2/14/2016 7:24:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 2/14/2016 7:10:54 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
I was typing from my phone

So, what's it gonna be? Queens's Bohemian Rhapsody or Aretha Franklin's Respect?

I was thinking Metallica's "No leaf Clover"
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:55:08 PM

I think you guys should do a Duet. I'm thinking a "whole new world" from Aladdin:

Ruv: I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, Mhykiel, now why should
You just let your heart decide?

Ruv: I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic science ride

Ruv: A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
Evidence to tell us no and how we know
Or say we are mistaken.

Or something like that...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:57:58 PM
At 2/14/2016 7:55:08 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

I think you guys should do a Duet. I'm thinking a "whole new world" from Aladdin:

Over, sideways and under
On a magic science ride

Or say we are mistaken.

It's creepy you took time from your life to post that.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 8:07:25 PM
At 2/14/2016 7:57:58 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Over, sideways and under
On a magic science ride

Or say we are mistaken.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about this whole thread...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 8:28:12 PM
At 2/14/2016 8:07:25 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Over, sideways and under
On a magic science ride

Or say we are mistaken.

touche
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 11:46:57 PM
At 2/14/2016 8:28:12 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/14/2016 8:07:25 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
touche
Speaking of taking time from your life... I don't spend much time monitoring Science and Religion for new threads... so imagine my surprise when I saw this one, some day or so after it was first created.

Had I seen it just a little earlier in the morning, I fear I'd have woken Mrs Draba with my hooting and gasping.

Mhykiel, you may not realise it but I think the quality of your critical thought is immensely important. Not so much to me since I could easily ignore any member should I ever wish, but to you, and to the people in your life who depend on you. I think it's important that your thought is well-informed, but that you also have the dignity to exercise, test and be accountable for your own independent judgements too, whether I personally agree with them or not.

To that extent, if I offer information whose sole or principle or sole purpose is to help inform a judgement I know first-hand to be difficult, it is meant to help. As much an act of faith in you and your intellect as it is respect for reason and evidence, it has no greater purpose. Anyone who takes diligent effort to research and test a complex issue deserves the respect of that endeavour, and in my eyes, diligent research or considered analysis are the most respectful gifts we can ever offer the serious concerns of another mind.

That's what it means when I say 'I hope it helps.' I seldom say it ironically (I doubt I've ever said it that way to you), and if I think a position is deluded, deceitful, ignorant, lazy or conceited, that's exactly what I'll say, as I think you know. :) Since I do that, I'm clearly not afraid to be disagreeable, so there's no need to hide disagreeability behind false affability and inject passive into my aggressive. :)

I very much want you to have a bright, curious, engaged, informed life, Mhykiel, enjoying the respect of your peers and the dignity of your own diligent endeavours, whatever views you hold. I want your knowledge and reason to empower you, and through your evident intellect and good humour, help empower others.

That's what I mean when I say 'I hope it helps.' Absent a morally-ordered universe, our world is only as good as we make it, and that's only as good as others help us to be.

'I hope it helps' is the 'God bless you' of a rational, secular humanist, and if you ever doubt that, ask me directly and I'll tell you again. :)