Jump to topic:

Group dynamics between Relig. and Sci. forums

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:13:19 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
The two groups being discussed are the "Science" forum of DDO and the "Religion" forum of DDO. This article aims to explain/suggest reasons for the conflict between these two forum communities,

Social Identity Theory (SIT) is the idea that an individuals identity of who they are is based on their group memberships, one of the implications of this theory is intergroup conflict. Intergroup conflict tends to occur when there is a comparison between individuals of one particular group (also known as the in-group) and an external group (The out-group). These comparisons tend to be quite biased as a way of improving someones self esteem. During such comparisons individual members tend to favor the group they are in (In-group) over the group they are comparing with (The out-group), this is in-group/out-group bias, one of the other impacts of this bias is that more positive events and information about the in-group will be remembered, while the opposite is true for the out-group. This applies to the "Science" and "Religion" forums, members from one of the forums (Lets say Religion) will view the "Science" forum they are in competition in (Over ideological differences) more negatively due to these natural, unconscious biases, while viewing themselves more positively. The same is true vice versa (How "Science" forum members view "Religion" forum members. The intergroup conflict between "Religion" and "Science forum members are also further inflamed due to the centuries of history between Religion and Science. Because of this, prejudice and stereotypes about members on either "Side" tend to be formed (Such as the stereotypes that Atheists are immoral, or that the religious are stupid).

Another big reason for conflict between these two groups/communities is obviously ideological differences. For example, the vast majority of scientifically inclined members (Who logically tend to be part of the "Science" forum community) are supporters of Evolution, while a large portion of the "Religion" forum community tend to prefer the Creationist perspective. It is difficult for both of these theories to exist, and as they challenge each other, it causes conflict between these two groups. If you look in on either forum you can see this in action, either side will be arguing over which is correct. As of the time I am typing this, 3 threads are present in "Religion" and 4 threads are present in "Science". The same sort of argument could also be made for other ideological differences such as the belief/disbelief in the existence of religious deity, which causes additional conflict between the groups.

It can be theorized that one or both groups involved could have members that have a measure of "Collective Narcissism". Collective Narcissism is a form of narcissism where individual members of a group have an overly high affection and preference for their in-group, especially those who are highly involved in their in-group. I would like to point out that I am not saying either side is a overly narcissistic group, but that without a doubt, each group has members that have a narcissistic group view, so this is applicable to them and intergroup conflict. One of the impacts of Collective Narcissism is that these individuals within the group tend to have an more volatile self esteem, because of this they will be more vulnerable to criticism and arguments against their group ideologies (Which is already present due to previously discussed factors), they are much more likely to respond with aggression to the out-group in question, and with greater intensity. So, imagine a bunch of members from the "Science" forum view the "Science" forum in a narcissistic way, any criticism/negativity towards them from the "Religion" forum will be treated with much more intense aggression and hate, further worsening the dynamics between the two groups. As always, this applies vice versa.

Well, this is what I have had to say on this topic, I apologize for any grammatical errors because I am too lazy to go back and check everything. I have a strong bias to prefer the "Science" forum as that is my in-group, so I have done my best to counteract that.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue.
Meh!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 3:05:58 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/15/2016 8:13:19 AM, Axonly wrote:
The two groups being discussed are the "Science" forum of DDO and the "Religion" forum of DDO. This article aims to explain/suggest reasons for the conflict between these two forum communities,

Social Identity Theory (SIT) is the idea that an individuals identity of who they are is based on their group memberships, one of the implications of this theory is intergroup conflict. Intergroup conflict tends to occur when there is a comparison between individuals of one particular group (also known as the in-group) and an external group (The out-group). These comparisons tend to be quite biased as a way of improving someones self esteem. During such comparisons individual members tend to favor the group they are in (In-group) over the group they are comparing with (The out-group), this is in-group/out-group bias, one of the other impacts of this bias is that more positive events and information about the in-group will be remembered, while the opposite is true for the out-group. This applies to the "Science" and "Religion" forums, members from one of the forums (Lets say Religion) will view the "Science" forum they are in competition in (Over ideological differences) more negatively due to these natural, unconscious biases, while viewing themselves more positively. The same is true vice versa (How "Science" forum members view "Religion" forum members. The intergroup conflict between "Religion" and "Science forum members are also further inflamed due to the centuries of history between Religion and Science. Because of this, prejudice and stereotypes about members on either "Side" tend to be formed (Such as the stereotypes that Atheists are immoral, or that the religious are stupid).

Science doesn't necessarily mean against religion. And the conflict between religious and scientific entities is over hyped. Religious Academies and Churchs have long been the birth place for Science and continue to conduct Scientific research today.

Another big reason for conflict between these two groups/communities is obviously ideological differences. For example, the vast majority of scientifically inclined members (Who logically tend to be part of the "Science" forum community) are supporters of Evolution, while a large portion of the "Religion" forum community tend to prefer the Creationist perspective. It is difficult for both of these theories to exist, and as they challenge each other, it causes conflict between these two groups. If you look in on either forum you can see this in action, either side will be arguing over which is correct. As of the time I am typing this, 3 threads are present in "Religion" and 4 threads are present in "Science". The same sort of argument could also be made for other ideological differences such as the belief/disbelief in the existence of religious deity, which causes additional conflict between the groups.

People conflate Evolution for abiogenesis and Creationism with Young Earth.

It can be theorized that one or both groups involved could have members that have a measure of "Collective Narcissism". Collective Narcissism is a form of narcissism where individual members of a group have an overly high affection and preference for their in-group, especially those who are highly involved in their in-group. I would like to point out that I am not saying either side is a overly narcissistic group, but that without a doubt, each group has members that have a narcissistic group view, so this is applicable to them and intergroup conflict. One of the impacts of Collective Narcissism is that these individuals within the group tend to have an more volatile self esteem, because of this they will be more vulnerable to criticism and arguments against their group ideologies (Which is already present due to previously discussed factors), they are much more likely to respond with aggression to the out-group in question, and with greater intensity. So, imagine a bunch of members from the "Science" forum view the "Science" forum in a narcissistic way, any criticism/negativity towards them from the "Religion" forum will be treated with much more intense aggression and hate, further worsening the dynamics between the two groups. As always, this applies vice versa.

Collective narcissism certainly applies to the Atheist that post in these forums.

Well, this is what I have had to say on this topic, I apologize for any grammatical errors because I am too lazy to go back and check everything. I have a strong bias to prefer the "Science" forum as that is my in-group, so I have done my best to counteract that.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

There need not be a conflict between science and religion. http://phys.org...