Jump to topic:

Extraterrestrials confirmed - Causes?

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:59:12 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
If NASA today would announce that they have received a message from an extraterrestrial civilization, how would it effect the world as we know it? Maybe just a message would make this vain away as if NASA just were joking, but what if said aliens contributed with all kinds of knowledge, impossible for humans to make at this stage of humanity? How would it affect humanity? How would it affect humans to have their entire worldview changed that dramatically? Riots everywhere? Mass suicides?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:04:43 PM
At 2/19/2016 4:59:12 PM, Jovian wrote:
If NASA today would announce that they have received a message from an extraterrestrial civilization, how would it effect the world as we know it? Maybe just a message would make this vain away as if NASA just were joking, but what if said aliens contributed with all kinds of knowledge, impossible for humans to make at this stage of humanity? How would it affect humanity?
I think it would depend on our perception of potential threat, Jove. A sudden transmission from nearby would mean that another intelligent species either lived near us or were traveling near us, and if they were traveling near us that'd suggest they were looking for something, and that could be menacing. Meanwhile, a transmission from far away might mean we couldn't communicate effectively at all.

How would it affect humans to have their entire worldview changed that dramatically? Riots everywhere? Mass suicides?
We've had over a century of speculating both scientifically and in fiction that other intelligent life might exist. Finding some would be exciting -- depending on how we found it, it might be scary too -- but I don't think it'd be shocking.

And we know how humans behave when they meet intelligence they've never seen before, because that's exactly the experience indigenous populations had when they met colonising Europeans with clothes and ships and language and customs they'd never seen before.

We know it's baffling, and sometimes alarming, but that people work things out pretty quickly. So I'm wondering under what circumstances an experience with a non-human civilisation would be different?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:18:57 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:04:43 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/19/2016 4:59:12 PM, Jovian wrote:
If NASA today would announce that they have received a message from an extraterrestrial civilization, how would it effect the world as we know it? Maybe just a message would make this vain away as if NASA just were joking, but what if said aliens contributed with all kinds of knowledge, impossible for humans to make at this stage of humanity? How would it affect humanity?
I think it would depend on our perception of potential threat, Jove. A sudden transmission from nearby would mean that another intelligent species either lived near us or were traveling near us, and if they were traveling near us that'd suggest they were looking for something, and that could be menacing. Meanwhile, a transmission from far away might mean we couldn't communicate effectively at all.

Interesting perspective. Well, many people would automatically assume "It would be our nuclear bombs against their laser beams able to kill billions in three seconds, maybe we should be loyal to them".

How would it affect humans to have their entire worldview changed that dramatically? Riots everywhere? Mass suicides?
We've had over a century of speculating both scientifically and in fiction that other intelligent life might exist. Finding some would be exciting -- depending on how we found it, it might be scary too -- but I don't think it'd be shocking.

Sure, but it's a completely other thing to see ones fantasy being confirmed in front of ones very eyes.

And we know how humans behave when they meet intelligence they've never seen before, because that's exactly the experience indigenous populations had when they met colonising Europeans with clothes and ships and language and customs they'd never seen before.

Very true. How were their reactions, some saw them as gods, some become confused and stayed away from them?

This would perhaps give a heavy impact on the world's religions. People would maybe start throwing Christianity and Islam away to worship these aliens instead, given they would be seemingly superior to us. Or maybe religious people would start seeing these aliens as angels?

We know it's baffling, and sometimes alarming, but that people work things out pretty quickly. So I'm wondering under what circumstances an experience with a non-human civilisation would be different?

Having millenias of discussions of "are we the only ones here?" being quenched forever, and knowing universe is more than some infinite amount of stars and gas planets, it would make a heavy impact on people forever. Myself, I think I would become exalted and do anything to learn about those aliens. But I'm not sure about the rest of humanity.