Jump to topic:

Human development and E.T.

Eagle_skittle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 9:29:38 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Scientist today have a pretty good understanding of evolution and how some of the most complex organs of the humans species are developed; such as the eye itself. But, consciousness and the development of the brain is still a mystery. Now, is is so crazy to make the assumption that an advance intelligence outside of Earth genetically engineered our DNA? Why haven't other species on Earth evolved into being rational and self-aware like us?

I feel more conformable believing this then assuming that god just implanted humans with a "soul".

What do you guys think?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 9:40:29 PM
At 2/20/2016 9:29:38 PM, Eagle_skittle wrote:
Scientist today have a pretty good understanding of evolution and how some of the most complex organs of the humans species are developed; such as the eye itself. But, consciousness and the development of the brain is still a mystery. Now, is is so crazy to make the assumption that an advance intelligence outside of Earth genetically engineered our DNA? Why haven't other species on Earth evolved into being rational and self-aware like us?

Well, while not a means of flat-out dismissing the statement, Occam's razor would tend to look down upon ideas that assume more than the status quo already assumes.

I would like to point out one MAJOR issue with your idea: If the only reason why self-aware beings on Earth exist, is because other, more advanced self-aware beings made them, who made the human ancestor?

Either there is an infinite recursive loop of more and more ancient civilizations making other self-aware creatures, or, either by nature or a god, we became self aware.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:03:32 PM

I feel more conformable believing this then assuming that god just implanted humans with a "soul".

What do you guys think?

Its crazy to assume that it was Aliens when there are plenty of other possible reasons.
Meh!
Eagle_skittle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:09:28 PM
Its crazy to assume that it was Aliens when there are plenty of other possible reasons.

I'd like to think that It was evolution that produced our minds but I don't think its a crazy to assume E.T. Its just another possibility among many.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 4:02:21 PM

What do you guys think?

That is introducing other assumptions, which violates Occams Razor. Who engineered the aliens DNA?

I believe that life is inevitable on most planets that are habitable given enough time.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 6:58:53 PM
Define "self aware".
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Eagle_skittle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 11:57:33 PM
All life on Earth is conscious, in the sense that they are aware of they're surroundings. Plants, insects, mammals, reptiles, are all aware of danger and have evolved to defend in various ways.

But to be honest, and I'm happy you mentioned this comment because i finding myself struggling to define self-awareness.

Our primal needs such as food, water, sex, are shared with the animals kingdom. But the development of language, the ability to ask the question why seems to help describe self-awareness.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 3:18:00 PM

What do you guys think?

Intelligence is merely another branch of evolution, like tails, or fins or legs, some species posses it while others do not. However, intelligence alone is not why homo sapiens have advanced to where we are today, many other factors have to be taken into consideration.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 8:44:43 AM

What do you guys think?

When I was in college I ran into an old high school buddy. When he found out I was studying computer science, he asked whether it was true that computer technology secretly came from aliens. I thought about it a second, then said, "Of course it is true. The real mystery is, where did the aliens get it?"

Unless your assumption makes a testable prediction that other assumptions do not, then it is just speculation. As far as intelligence developing, it is of course not fully understood, but it is not a complete mystery either. Our brains use pretty much the same biochemistry as the brains of other primates, and for that matter other mammals. They are just larger and have more interconnection, especially in regions associated with cognition, language and problem-solving.