Jump to topic:

A Question

TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:10:42 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
What stops you from suspecting that .. the so called proof of 'missing link' is not the skeleton of an extinct species?an extinct species that once coexisted with the evolved species (sic)?

Unfortuntely, religion forum could not give an answer.

http://www.debate.org...
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:53:52 AM
At 2/23/2016 2:33:08 AM, Torton wrote:
Radiometric dating.

What stops you from suspecting that .. the so called proof of 'missing link' is not the skeleton of an extinct species?an extinct species that once coexisted with the evolved species (sic)?

This was my question.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:19:49 AM
At 2/23/2016 2:10:42 AM, TREssspa wrote:

I am having trouble understanding the question. Are you asking if different hominid existed at the same time?
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:36:39 AM
At 2/23/2016 4:19:49 AM, TBR wrote:

I am having trouble understanding the question. Are you asking if different hominid existed at the same time?

I am asking if humans coexisted with so called ancestors of humans, apes.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:44:18 AM
At 2/23/2016 4:36:39 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:19:49 AM, TBR wrote:

OK. Well, lets use this timeline
http://darwiniana.org...

As you can see, Homo sapiens overlap with neanderthals. There are other hominids that overlap in time as well.

Is this answering your question?
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 1:46:33 PM

Pretty much by definition humans (homo sapiens) existed with whatever came before us which existed with whatever came before them, etc.

The key thing to remember is how we classify as a species is somewhat arbitrary in the grand scheme of things. It is easy and obvious how to delineate between species that have evolved separately for hundreds of thousands of years (a dog and a cat for example). But in reality evolution is a continuous process. If we had some magic machine that put a sample every 10 years from the evolutionary history of those species it would not be so clear where we would draw the lines. The starting and end point may be radically different but in most cases it got there by a long string of very minor changes.

So evolution doesn't mean a Neanderthal gave birth to a homo sapien and then all the Neanderthals instantly died and there was only a homo sapien left. It would have been a gradual change with both coexisting for a long time.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:12:48 PM
At 2/23/2016 1:46:33 PM, Floid wrote:

Pretty much by definition humans (homo sapiens) existed with whatever came before us which existed with whatever came before them, etc.

The key thing to remember is how we classify as a species is somewhat arbitrary in the grand scheme of things. It is easy and obvious how to delineate between species that have evolved separately for hundreds of thousands of years (a dog and a cat for example). But in reality evolution is a continuous process. If we had some magic machine that put a sample every 10 years from the evolutionary history of those species it would not be so clear where we would draw the lines. The starting and end point may be radically different but in most cases it got there by a long string of very minor changes.

So evolution doesn't mean a Neanderthal gave birth to a homo sapien and then all the Neanderthals instantly died and there was only a homo sapien left. It would have been a gradual change with both coexisting for a long time.

I'm still struggling with his question. My first thought was the question is more as you have interpreted it. That there is some "start" point for one species. Then it felt more like he was saying "evolved" meaning having the two distinct species living at the same time.

Both are true, but I just don't know whats in his head.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:19:18 PM

I'm not sure I really understand your question.

But I don't see why an ancestor or parent species wouldn't be able to co-exist with a daughter species for an indefinite time.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:57:56 PM
TRE, I think you're asking how we know whether a suspected ancestor of some extant species is not some parallel species that died out, the extant species either having existed contemporaneously, or having emerged subsequently via some other path.

We can't always know with certainty, but we can make a determination within the tolerance of probability based on other information. But scientifically, the conjecture of parallel descent has to be entertained and falsified -- it cannot be discarded a priori.

As to how it's falsified, it depends on the range of information available. I'm aware of some methods, but our colleague Ramshutu may be able to give you more detail than I can.