Starting point difference

Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:48:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:43:24 PM, TREssspa wrote:
To begin with, what do you have to say about an impossible event. Give an example of it.

Squaring a circle.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:21:06 PM
To begin with, what do you have to say about an impossible event. Give an example of it.

I'm not sure how far you are going to get with this line of reasoning. Again, you are in the science forum. What I am saying is, impossible vs improbable is what this is going to come down to. God is, to me, highly improbable, not impossible.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 7:02:06 PM

Please define impossible, TRE. Some mean 'improbable' which I think is too weak. Others mean 'inconceivable', which I think is both too weak and too strong. Some mean 'invalid', which is fine in itself, but I don't think validity has anything to do with possibility.

What makes an idea impossible, yet not inconceivable, improbable or invalid? If there is no such definition, then the word itself is meaningless
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:49:38 AM

You learning something useful.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:15:38 AM
Donald Trump not being an a$$hole.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:13:12 AM
At 2/23/2016 7:02:06 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Please define impossible, TRE. Some mean 'improbable' which I think is too weak. Others mean 'inconceivable', which I think is both too weak and too strong. Some mean 'invalid', which is fine in itself, but I don't think validity has anything to do with possibility.

What makes an idea impossible, yet not inconceivable, improbable or invalid? If there is no such definition, then the word itself is meaningless

Impossible - not possible, never possible
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 6:40:51 AM
At 2/24/2016 5:13:12 AM, TREssspa wrote:

How do we recognise 'not' or 'never' possible? We predict what is possible by exploring the consequence of the best models for what we have observed, but models change as we observe more.

How do we recognise impossible?
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 6:59:31 AM
At 2/24/2016 6:40:51 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

How do we recognise 'not' or 'never' possible? We predict what is possible by exploring the consequence of the best models for what we have observed, but models change as we observe more.

There is something called 'common sense'. It would be helpful. If you insist I can give you an example of not possible, never possible - impossible.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 7:15:23 AM
At 2/24/2016 6:59:31 AM, TREssspa wrote:

There is something called 'common sense'. It would be helpful. If you insist I can give you an example of not possible, never possible - impossible.

Yea, see. You are having the problem I described. Improbable vs impossible. If you can come up with a true impossible, I will give you some real credit, but I don't think its "probable" ;)
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 7:28:30 AM
At 2/24/2016 7:15:23 AM, TBR wrote:
At 2/24/2016 6:59:31 AM, TREssspa wrote:

Yea, see. You are having the problem I described. Improbable vs impossible. If you can come up with a true impossible, I will give you some real credit, but I don't think its "probable" ;)

Here are the examples of a true impossible -

write the last digit of an irrational no like pi or phi.

demonstrate infinity using physical objects, like mirror.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 9:42:33 AM

Here are the examples of a true impossible -

write the last digit of an irrational no like pi or phi.

demonstrate infinity using physical objects, like mirror.

Other provable impossibilities include trisecting an angle with a straight-edge and compass, and writing a computer program that determines whether any other arbitrary computer program halts.

There are other logical impossibilities. For instance, theologians tend to agree that even an omnipotent god could not alter the logical validity of modus ponens, or make it so 2+2=5.
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:35:10 PM
I may quit science forum. You guys are more interested in language, definition etc. I am not even getting to the question I intended to ask with ' Starting point difference '. Indeed, there is a reason science forum is almost dead.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:13:44 PM
At 2/24/2016 1:35:10 PM, TREssspa wrote:
I may quit science forum. You guys are more interested in language, definition etc. I am not even getting to the question I intended to ask with ' Starting point difference '. Indeed, there is a reason science forum is almost dead.

You know... That might be the best for you. Yea, the science forum is going to be exact as possible, and using words loosely is not going to go over well.
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 4:08:53 PM
At 2/24/2016 3:13:44 PM, TBR wrote:
At 2/24/2016 1:35:10 PM, TREssspa wrote:

You know... That might be the best for you. Yea, the science forum is going to be exact as possible, and using words loosely is not going to go over well.

Ok then.