Jump to topic:

The Universe

threelittlebirds
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2009 12:27:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If the mass density of the universe were greater than the critical density, then the universe would reach a maximum size and then begin to collapse. It would become denser and hotter again, ending with a state that was similar to that in which it started—a Big Crunch.

According to that I have two questions: Does gravity have a limit to how far it can reach? If somethings extremely dense it would kind of make since to me for it to "explode" but why would it?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2009 1:23:12 PM
I feel you have the theory wrong. The Universe does not have a maximum density. Or so I think.

Anyone, what I know is that as the universe decelerates and loses energy, less suns are formed. When a sun dies, it uses alot of it's energy to create a new one. However this is a cycle which itself dies. Eventually everything will freeze over and the world will be lifeless.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2009 1:50:06 PM
According to thathttp://www.debate.org... I have two questions: Does gravity have a limit to how far it can reach? If somethings extremely dense it would kind of make since to me for it to "explode" but why would it?

http://www.newscientist.com...
threelittlebirds
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2009 2:06:08 PM
At 2/3/2009 1:23:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I feel you have the theory wrong. The Universe does not have a maximum density. Or so I think.

Anyone, what I know is that as the universe decelerates and loses energy, less suns are formed. When a sun dies, it uses alot of it's energy to create a new one. However this is a cycle which itself dies. Eventually everything will freeze over and the world will be lifeless.

I thought that was the alternative to the theory I stated.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2009 2:15:44 PM
At 2/3/2009 2:06:08 PM, threelittlebirds wrote:

It is.

You're speaking of "The Big-Crunch" theory. Panda is talking about the "Expansion," theory, as all call it. Basically, they're complete opposites.
When Reach fell, I came.
threelittlebirds
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2009 2:28:43 PM
At 2/3/2009 2:15:44 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 2/3/2009 2:06:08 PM, threelittlebirds wrote:

It is.

You're speaking of "The Big-Crunch" theory. Panda is talking about the "Expansion," theory, as all call it. Basically, they're complete opposites.

Thought so... Did you read any of the link Puck posted? I think it answered why it would collapse on its self, I dont understand the rebound thing.