Jump to topic:

Halley's Comet

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 2:59:49 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
The nucleus of Halley is ellipsoidal in shape and measures approximately 16 by 8 by 8 kilometers (10 by 5 by 5 miles).

http://solarviews.com...

For the sake of argument, it was nudged by a rogue object and is now on a collision course with Earth expected to reach land fall somewhere in the middle of the US.

Where would you want to be when it hits?

Personally, i would want a front row seat just far enough away to watch it happen.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 5:15:45 PM
At 2/29/2016 2:59:49 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
The nucleus of Halley is ellipsoidal in shape and measures approximately 16 by 8 by 8 kilometers (10 by 5 by 5 miles).

For the sake of argument, it was nudged by a rogue object and is now on a collision course with Earth expected to reach land fall somewhere in the middle of the US.

Personally, i would want a front row seat just far enough away to watch it happen.

Any event like this I would get the best viewing angle.

Aliens invade. I will be right there to shake their hands - first if I could

Killer comet = good drugs, and a nice hillside

I don't get the "must survive regardless how much post-apoplectic live will be". Why? So I can die later miserable after watching the worse of all possible worlds?
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 9:15:11 PM

Id probably have to work midnights and watch it on CNN.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 10:12:40 PM

The opposite side of the world to maximize survival prospects.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 10:25:17 PM
At 2/29/2016 10:12:40 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 10:44:19 PM
At 2/29/2016 10:25:17 PM, TBR wrote:

Why?

It's logical to assume being as far away from a meteorite strike as you can maximizes your survival prospects. I want to maximize my survival prospects.

I assume your logic is death is inevitable as the comet is so large so get it over with and see an amazing natural event in the process?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 12:03:41 AM
At 2/29/2016 10:44:19 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why?

It's logical to assume being as far away from a meteorite strike as you can maximizes your survival prospects. I want to maximize my survival prospects.

I assume your logic is death is inevitable as the comet is so large so get it over with and see an amazing natural event in the process?

Bout half right. Let's say I did live. Let's say 30-60% of humanity die, and the infrastructure for same is destroyed. Not the worse, but damn bad. Could you life? Would you want to?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 12:24:13 AM
At 3/1/2016 12:03:41 AM, TBR wrote:

Why?

Bout half right. Let's say I did live. Let's say 30-60% of humanity die, and the infrastructure for same is destroyed. Not the worse, but damn bad. Could you life? Would you want to?

Yes I could live. It would be possible for me to adapt to the new more primitive life. If it was really that bad you could always commit suicide at a later date. I think it would be stupid just to die in the initial impact without at least sampling post impact life. After all were people in the 1800s that much more unhappy than people today?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:20:36 AM
At 3/1/2016 12:24:13 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why?

Yes I could live. It would be possible for me to adapt to the new more primitive life. If it was really that bad you could always commit suicide at a later date. I think it would be stupid just to die in the initial impact without at least sampling post impact life. After all were people in the 1800s that much more unhappy than people today?

I can buy that. I don't want to live with there has been that much suffering just to "live". Plenty of reasons to think that it might be "better" in some respects, but still I would not want it.

Now... How much would you need to ratchet it up for you to NOT want to live? Not the loss of stuff, but the loss of live. 80%. 99.999%?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:49:29 AM

You won't be safe on the other side of the Earth. So much dust will be thrown up into the atmosphere that when it falls down the friction will heat the air to oven temperatures. It will literally rain fire. The only way you might survive is deep inside a mountain with food and water for a year or more. Even then it is doubtful.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 8:33:03 AM
At 3/1/2016 1:20:36 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/1/2016 12:24:13 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why?

I can buy that. I don't want to live with there has been that much suffering just to "live". Plenty of reasons to think that it might be "better" in some respects, but still I would not want it.

Now... How much would you need to ratchet it up for you to NOT want to live? Not the loss of stuff, but the loss of live. 80%. 99.999%?

Good question. Still I think I would at least sample life and if it was so bad take action to end it later. If I was at the opposite end of the planet hopefully that's where most survivors are and the damage to infrastructure lowest. In some ways the lower number of people would be necessary as food supplies would be very limited. It's likely survivors would need to grow their own food.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 8:35:07 AM
At 3/1/2016 2:49:29 AM, dee-em wrote:

You won't be safe on the other side of the Earth. So much dust will be thrown up into the atmosphere that when it falls down the friction will heat the air to oven temperatures. It will literally rain fire. The only way you might survive is deep inside a mountain with food and water for a year or more. Even then it is doubtful.

Yes good idea. An underground bunker on the opposite side of the world. Yes it would most likely fail but I would try it.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 3:59:54 PM
At 3/1/2016 8:35:07 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Yes good idea. An underground bunker on the opposite side of the world. Yes it would most likely fail but I would try it.

Sure, but would you want to live underground in a bunker for the rest of your life? Nothing on the surface would survive, food and water would run out in a short time and you would starve. A rather dismal and painful end such that at some point, you wished you did have a front row seat to the global killing event.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 4:15:48 PM
At 3/1/2016 3:59:54 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Sure, but would you want to live underground in a bunker for the rest of your life? Nothing on the surface would survive, food and water would run out in a short time and you would starve. A rather dismal and painful end such that at some point, you wished you did have a front row seat to the global killing event.

https://youtu.be...
http://youtu.be...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 4:16:52 PM

With a 10:1 ratio of women to men....
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 4:36:26 PM
At 3/1/2016 4:16:52 PM, TBR wrote:

Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 4:38:17 PM
At 3/1/2016 4:36:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 3/1/2016 4:16:52 PM, TBR wrote:

Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

We can't let anyone to breed more prodigiously.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 5:45:34 PM

As someone who currently lives in the middle of the U.S. I'd probably want to go somewhere else.

For survival prospects, you'd probably want to be more than 2000km away to eliminate the possibility of direct blast damage, in an area containing buildings of non-flammable and solid construction to survive any resulting firestorm, or a cave for temporary shelter.

Infrastructure damage from a resulting firestorm would likely be significant, although North America would probably be a near total loss, infrastructure in the rest of the world would likely be recoverable. Saying this, in all likelihood western countries would likely fair worse than less developed countries, primarily because of the dependance on infrastructure for food, logistics, etc, and the likelihood of significant anarchy in major European and Asian cities would probably be significant. So, you'd probably want to be in a smaller town or village in a developing location that is relatively self-suffiient in terms of food.

You'd likely want to be away from the sea, and away from any active volcanos due to the possibility of induced volcanism, or Tsunami effects. You would also want to be closer to the equator to mitigate some of the effects of meteoric winter.

So, Long Kor cave in Laos is probably where I'd want to be.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 6:36:23 PM

Probably true but I would try it in the hope things outside improved sufficiently after a year so that it would be possible to somehow be able to come out of the bunker and try and find a good source. I know starvation is highly likely but I'd rather die trying then just give up.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 2:36:07 AM
At 3/1/2016 6:36:23 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Probably true but I would try it in the hope things outside improved sufficiently after a year so that it would be possible to somehow be able to come out of the bunker and try and find a good source. I know starvation is highly likely but I'd rather die trying then just give up.

There wouldn't be any source of food as nothing would survive; plants, animals would all be extinct and it would take millions of years for any life to emerge again. You might actually be better off living on Mars.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 12:42:56 PM
At 3/2/2016 2:36:07 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

There wouldn't be any source of food as nothing would survive; plants, animals would all be extinct and it would take millions of years for any life to emerge again. You might actually be better off living on Mars.

True mars would theoretically be safer but it's easier build an underground bunker with enough food supplies for a lifetime. Getting to mars and setting up a colony is not currently possible.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 4:09:02 PM
At 3/2/2016 12:42:56 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

True mars would theoretically be safer but it's easier build an underground bunker with enough food supplies for a lifetime.

Yes, and that would prove to be difficult considering the millions of people who will kill you for your bunker.

Getting to mars and setting up a colony is not currently possible.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 4:36:48 PM
At 3/2/2016 4:09:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 3/2/2016 12:42:56 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

True mars would theoretically be safer but it's easier build an underground bunker with enough food supplies for a lifetime.

Yes, and that would prove to be difficult considering the millions of people who will kill you for your bunker.

True!

Getting to mars and setting up a colony is not currently possible.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 4:40:30 PM
At 2/29/2016 5:15:45 PM, TBR wrote:

Any event like this I would get the best viewing angle.

Aliens invade. I will be right there to shake their hands - first if I could

Killer comet = good drugs, and a nice hillside

I don't get the "must survive regardless how much post-apoplectic live will be". Why? So I can die later miserable after watching the worse of all possible worlds?

I'm with you, buddy. I'll bring the "Kush-ions"