Jump to topic:

A four dimensional cube

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 3:57:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
What do you think the 4th dimension of space would look, what do you think a four dimensional cube would look lie?
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 4:31:04 AM
At 3/5/2016 3:57:05 AM, mc9 wrote:
What do you think the 4th dimension of space would look, what do you think a four dimensional cube would look lie?

The 4th Dimension as we know it has no visually observable spatial influence on objects. Time, being the 4th Dimension, affects objects in the way they propagate through it, but not in physical structure.

Also, the notion of a 4-dimension cube is flawed.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 4:35:58 AM
At 3/5/2016 4:31:04 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

The 4th Dimension as we know it has no visually observable spatial influence on objects. Time, being the 4th Dimension, affects objects in the way they propagate through it, but not in physical structure.

There is a notion that the 4th dimension is time but I am talking about special dimensions, there is a theory that there are dimensions of space beyond us but we can't comprehend tha, think about it like this, could someone living in a two dimensional world comprehend depth without seeing it? or would they just say it was time?
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 4:41:49 AM
At 3/5/2016 4:35:58 AM, mc9 wrote:

There is a notion that the 4th dimension is time but I am talking about special dimensions, there is a theory that there are dimensions of space beyond us but we can't comprehend tha, think about it like this, could someone living in a two dimensional world comprehend depth without seeing it? or would they just say it was time?

They would perceive Time as the 3rd Dimension. If we are unable to perceive other dimensions, then how could we even test this theory? It is a flawed concept.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
TRap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 5:09:16 AM

somewhat like a 3 dimensional plane.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 2:15:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com...
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 11:57:42 PM
If we were 4d critters tesseracts would look perfectly normal and cubes would look like sqashed tesseracts. Of course if we were 4d critters, gravity and electromagnetism wouldn't have an inverse square law, so there'd probably be no planets or atoms around but you can't have everything!
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:08:13 AM
The 4th dimension doesn't exist. Time is not a dimension either. Its a measurement of spin and rotation and not a linear spatial vector.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 8:42:52 AM

your question reminded me of this '4D' rubik's cube, which is fun to play around with and gives a bit of an idea about what 4d space might be like and yet at the same time showing how our brains just aren't wired to work in 4D:

http://superliminal.com...
These are not the droids you're looking for.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:10:17 PM
At 3/5/2016 4:35:58 AM, mc9 wrote:

http://www.flatlandthemovie.com...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:52:18 PM
According to this weeks version of string theory, there are 10+ spatial dimensions. So swhat does a 10+ dimensional cube look like? It looks like ruddy cube.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 1:27:22 AM

If by 4 dimensions you mean 4 spatial dimensions then the cube would be a hyper cube. And there are plenty of projections (think shadow of a 4 dimensional cube cast on a 3 dimensional space) on youtube.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 8:56:21 PM

The best analogy I have heard to conceptualize it. Say you are looking at an ant walking on top a garden hose. From that distance you would not be able to tell that it is walking on a cylinder. It would look like it is walking on a line.

The string theory hypothesis the extra dimensions are so tiny and they curl around themselves, so we would never see them at our size.

On the other hand there is growing interest in a hologram universe, meaning we have 2 spacial dimensions and perception of the 3rd is actually a hologram.