Happiness is a drug.

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 7:45:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Actually, all emotions are drugs.

All emotions are controlled by hormones. If people have a high concentration of a certain hormone they might be overly happy, or extremely depressed. I know people who take meds to control their emotions. If emotions can be easily changed with more of that hormone, it's a drug. Happiness should be recognized as a drug, enjoyed, but not overdosed. By overdose I mean not being in a state of ignorant bliss.

Why are these emotions related to hormones? Simple. Evolution has programmed the brain to release serotonin when something "good" is happening. The "good" feeling makes the human want to experience it more. What is comical about this is that all humans are suffering from a happiness addiction. The happines addiction is what makes people want to chase things such as religion and amusement parks. Does happiness have value? Yes.

What is more important than happiness in my opinion, is contentness. Think of it this way: happiness is sex, contentness is friendship. I personally recognize happiness for what it is, but what I value more than happiness is contentness. Being content is something that resides in the nebulous consciousness. It's not controlled by hormones, and [to me] is pure.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:18:31 AM
At 11/10/2010 7:45:06 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

All emotions are controlled by hormones. If people have a high concentration of a certain hormone they might be overly happy, or extremely depressed. I know people who take meds to control their emotions. If emotions can be easily changed with more of that hormone, it's a drug. Happiness should be recognized as a drug, enjoyed, but not overdosed. By overdose I mean not being in a state of ignorant bliss.

Why are these emotions related to hormones? Simple. Evolution has programmed the brain to release serotonin when something "good" is happening. The "good" feeling makes the human want to experience it more. What is comical about this is that all humans are suffering from a happiness addiction. The happines addiction is what makes people want to chase things such as religion and amusement parks. Does happiness have value? Yes.

What is more important than happiness in my opinion, is contentness. Think of it this way: happiness is sex, contentness is friendship. I personally recognize happiness for what it is, but what I value more than happiness is contentness. Being content is something that resides in the nebulous consciousness. It's not controlled by hormones, and [to me] is pure.

I think you confuse fun and happiness. Happiness is closer to contentedness than it is fun. fun =/= happiness =/=joy. Fun is short term elation, Joy is a deeper more profound state of fun, and happiness is a general contentedness in life. - But that's according to innomen.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:53:01 AM

1.According to my dictionary ("The Vardas0Antras official but hidden in the brain dictionary") what you've described isn't happiness.

2."The happines addiction is what makes people want to chase things such as religion and amusement parks. Does happiness have value?"
*Sigh* :|
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:44:48 AM
At 11/10/2010 10:53:01 AM, vardas0antras wrote:

1.According to my dictionary ("The Vardas0Antras official but hidden in the brain dictionary") what you've described isn't happiness.

2."The happines addiction is what makes people want to chase things such as religion and amusement parks. Does happiness have value?"
*Sigh* :|

if you had read ONE more word....it said yes.

@ innomen

If you use that definition of happiness, then we agree. In my book, happiness can mean contentness, but that is not the definition I am using right now.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:02:38 PM

Agreed. Beware your language though. Emotions are chemical reactions, drugs are chemicals, emotions are not drugs.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:37:20 PM
At 11/10/2010 6:02:38 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Agreed. Beware your language though. Emotions are chemical reactions, drugs are chemicals, emotions are not drugs.

Crap pop song disagrees. Ergo you are wrong.

Q.E.D.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:38:59 PM
At 11/10/2010 6:02:38 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Happiness is a drug. Drug (n): A habit forming substance. Happiness forms habits, DEEP rooted habits, ergo a drug.