Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Post-Scientism

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
janesix
Posts: 6,494
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 11:26:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?

Probably. Stupidity always wins out over intelligence. For one thing, educated people breed at much lower rates than the uneducated. Eventually, we will be overwhelmed and will have to start over sometime down the road.

It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.
slo1
Posts: 5,199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 12:29:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

How do you come to the conclusion that today's science is not focused on empiricism?
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:03:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2016 12:29:07 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

How do you come to the conclusion that today's science is not focused on empiricism?

Re-read my post.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,753
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:23:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

ROTFLOL
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:26:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2016 1:23:49 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

ROTFLOL

ROTFLOL is virtually never used as an online acronym and using it will make you come across as an old person, kind of like what people think when they see an elderly internet user using "LOL!" in completely inappropriate situations. (I.E. "Your argument is so stupid I could laugh LOL!")
Some acceptable alternatives:
ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)
(LOL) (Laughing Out Loud)
(ROFLMAO) (Rolling On the Floor Laughing My @$$ Off)
But never ROTFLOL.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,753
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:28:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2016 2:26:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/18/2016 1:23:49 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

ROTFLOL

ROTFLOL is virtually never used as an online acronym and using it will make you come across as an old person, kind of like what people think when they see an elderly internet user using "LOL!" in completely inappropriate situations. (I.E. "Your argument is so stupid I could laugh LOL!")
Some acceptable alternatives:
ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)
(LOL) (Laughing Out Loud)
(ROFLMAO) (Rolling On the Floor Laughing My @$$ Off)
But never ROTFLOL.

What o_0 I've always used ROTFLOL as the acronym between LOL and ROFLMAO on the laughing scale...
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
v3nesl
Posts: 6,821
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:59:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2016 1:03:08 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/18/2016 12:29:07 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

How do you come to the conclusion that today's science is not focused on empiricism?

Re-read my post.

I would say science already abandoned empiricism with Darwinism. Science has become the philosophic justification for progressivism. It is now a political mistress in so many cases.
This space for rent.
slo1
Posts: 5,199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:31:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2016 1:03:08 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/18/2016 12:29:07 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.

How do you come to the conclusion that today's science is not focused on empiricism?

Re-read my post.

Got it. Sorry.

I don't think there will be such a revolution, simply because the majority of Science is still rooted in profit motive. The entire nanotechnology particle field is a good example. Empiricism is the best method to ensure success with new discovery and development. In other words the best way to avoid throwing money away.