Jump to topic:

Post-Scientism

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?
It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 11:26:41 PM
At 3/17/2016 9:38:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In the future will society and the scientific establishment abandon the current dogmatism and emphasis on empiricism in favor of a "post-scientific" worldview?

Probably. Stupidity always wins out over intelligence. For one thing, educated people breed at much lower rates than the uneducated. Eventually, we will be overwhelmed and will have to start over sometime down the road.

It'd be similar to the movement of postmodernism, which rejected democracy as the greatest form of government, and to the movements which have rejected classical art in favor of the "randomly splashing different paint colors on a wall is just as good as a marble sculpture by Michelangelo" approach.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 12:29:07 AM

How do you come to the conclusion that today's science is not focused on empiricism?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:03:08 AM
At 3/18/2016 12:29:07 AM, slo1 wrote:

How do you come to the conclusion that today's science is not focused on empiricism?

Re-read my post.

The DDO Blog:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:23:49 PM

ROTFLOL
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:26:41 PM
At 3/18/2016 1:23:49 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

ROTFLOL

ROTFLOL is virtually never used as an online acronym and using it will make you come across as an old person, kind of like what people think when they see an elderly internet user using "LOL!" in completely inappropriate situations. (I.E. "Your argument is so stupid I could laugh LOL!")
Some acceptable alternatives:
ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)
(LOL) (Laughing Out Loud)
(ROFLMAO) (Rolling On the Floor Laughing My @$$ Off)
But never ROTFLOL.

The DDO Blog:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:28:27 PM
At 3/18/2016 2:26:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/18/2016 1:23:49 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

ROTFLOL

ROTFLOL is virtually never used as an online acronym and using it will make you come across as an old person, kind of like what people think when they see an elderly internet user using "LOL!" in completely inappropriate situations. (I.E. "Your argument is so stupid I could laugh LOL!")
Some acceptable alternatives:
ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)
(LOL) (Laughing Out Loud)
(ROFLMAO) (Rolling On the Floor Laughing My @$$ Off)
But never ROTFLOL.

What o_0 I've always used ROTFLOL as the acronym between LOL and ROFLMAO on the laughing scale...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:59:12 PM
At 3/18/2016 1:03:08 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Re-read my post.

I would say science already abandoned empiricism with Darwinism. Science has become the philosophic justification for progressivism. It is now a political mistress in so many cases.
This space for rent.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:31:06 PM
At 3/18/2016 1:03:08 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Re-read my post.

Got it. Sorry.

I don't think there will be such a revolution, simply because the majority of Science is still rooted in profit motive. The entire nanotechnology particle field is a good example. Empiricism is the best method to ensure success with new discovery and development. In other words the best way to avoid throwing money away.