DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 3:17:03 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/28/2016 2:42:34 PM, UUU wrote:
What purpose our dreams do serve?

Perhaps, the subconscious mind trying to sort out the days events?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 7:19:34 PM
At 3/28/2016 2:42:34 PM, UUU wrote:
What purpose our dreams do serve?

We don't really know yet. For that matter, we don't really understand the purpose of sleep yet.

One thing we do know is that many animals dream. Most mammals, for instance, experience a REM stage of sleep. Anyone with a dog has probably seen the dog dreaming. Sometimes a dog's leg will twitch while it's dreaming. Presumably it is running in its dream.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 5:39:17 AM
Dreams can tell you things, about yourself. I learned this is my Physiology class. For instance, if you have dreams of falling, and or you're trying to run, and can't get anywhere, it's usaully a result of anxiety, and stress. Another one is Deja-Vu, and this is just a dream that seems very familiar. Quite interesting.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 11:31:03 AM
This sounds wrong but.
I had a dream of a the Veronicas naked and I seen all.
It was backstage after they just finished.
Their faces where their faces. So was the rest of what I seen them. ?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 6:51:21 PM
An important thing to note about dreams is that they are not a due to a different way of the brain working from when awake.

Most of what we are conscious of at any moment is not due to our senses but is concocted by the brain. Sense data is really there to correct the brain's image of the world and to keep that image on track.

To explain that a bit, consider reading text with a typo. Quite often we don't notice minor typos (particularly in our own work), which is why proof-reading is a difficult job. If reading meant mechanically transcribing ink marks on a page into meaning then we would notice typos but we don't read that way. Our brains continually predict the meaning of a piece of text using clues such as context and grammar, and as long as the printed text matches the brain's prediction closely enough there is a good chance a typo simply won't register.

Another familiar example of the brain making predictions is 'surprise'. It is hard to see how we could be surprised unless we had a prior expection. Surprise is what we feel when we sense someting different from that prior expectation and a rapid update of our brains's predicted world image is required.

So the brain continually 'produces future'. In the waking state the brain's image of the world is normally kept in line by the feedback from sense data, but in the dream state feedback from sense data is more of less absent, so the brain's future producer 'freewheels'.

The brain prediction mechanism normally produces only a very short term prediction, because it expects continual sensor feedback. In the dream state the prediction is often extened over several seconds or minutes which can produce some apparently bizarre effects. For example in your dream one moment you may be driving a car and the next steering a boat. In the real world cars can't turn into boats, but what has happened is a slight change in the brain has changed the representation of a car into the representaion of a boat - probably not much more that a change in the firing of a few neurones.

It would seem likely that dream occur when the brain activates its prediction system in response to something (possibly some problem you want to solve) but it not suffiently aroused to awaken.

Or it might the way gods and/or our dead ancestors communicate with us. I haven't quite decided.