Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sexually attracted babies.

The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:50:18 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Freud believed babies are sexually attracted to the parent.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:56:59 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:50:18 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Freud believed babies are sexually attracted to the parent.

And you are 16, right? You taking a psychology course where they are discussing this?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 2:11:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Despite being out of favor for a awhile Frued and the Oedipus complex are still being taught. (any many cases as fact)
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 2:54:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 2:11:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Despite being out of favor for a awhile Frued and the Oedipus complex are still being taught. (any many cases as fact)

There are several problems I have with his question. 1) He says he is 16, and taking a class where Frued is being discussed in any death. 2) Even Frued never said anything like this. He talked of sexual sanctification that infants could get from nursing, later potty training, and other non-sexual cues. 3) The oedipus complex is, by Frued, is a pubescent thing. 4) His "baby's block this out" is nothing I have ever herd attached to any branch of science.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:57:58 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:56:59 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:50:18 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Freud believed babies are sexually attracted to the parent.

And you are 16, right? You taking a psychology course where they are discussing this?

It is nessesary for the education.

And Freud was pretty much the founder of modern psycology.

He believed this.

There was a good reason.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:57:27 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I don't think that is the case. There are still people in their adulthood sexually attracted to their parents at some point without the consequence of forgetting.
Humans generally tend to be more sexually attracted to the opposite sex (or whoever they're sexually attracted to) when they're going through puberty as our bodies start to evolve.
"Puberty is the process of physical changes through which a child's body matures into an adult body capable of sexual reproduction to enable fertilization. It is initiated by hormonal signals from the brain to the gonads: the ovaries in a girl, the testes in a boy. In response to the signals, the gonads produce hormones that stimulate libido and the growth, function, and transformation of the brain, bones, muscle, blood, skin, hair, breasts, and sex organs. Physical growth"height and weight"accelerates in the first half of puberty and is completed when an adult body has been developed. Until the maturation of their reproductive capabilities, the pre-pubertal physical differences between boys and girls are the external sex organs."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

These differences that happen during puberty are what make us more prone to seek to procreate etc.
"An analysis of human sexual motivation couldn't proceed without first discussing physiological factors, in particular, hormones. The influence of hormones in sexual behavior is well-supported by research. Both men and women produce estrogens, progestins and androgens, though women produce far more estrogens and progestin and men more androgens (Hokanson, 1969; Leger, 1992). In lower species, hormone levels are almost directly correlated with sexual behavior, however, as one moves up the phylogenetic scale, other elements become involved (Fisher, 1993; Hokanson, 1969). In humans, hormones are also related to sexual desire, but are not the entire story. In males, a minimum level of testosterone is necessary to maintain normal sexual motivation in males (Leger, 1992). If males' testosterone levels fall below the threshold, sexual motivation is greatly reduced. However, once the threshold level is reached, it no longer predicts sexual behavior. Women's studies also show correlations between hormones and sexual desire (Leger, 1992; Sherwin & Gelfan, 1987; Sherwin, Gelfan, & Brender, 1985), however, the results are inconsistent (Leger, 1992). Since neither increases nor decreases in hormones in either males or females are perfectly correlated with sexual desire, it stands to reason that there must be other factors involved. As Hokanson (1969) concludes, hormones serve the primary purpose of readying the individual for action, but other factors determine whether the individual actually engages in sexual activity. Another physiological factor in sexual motivation may well be odor and sense of smell. Of all the elements researched, odor and sense of smell have received the least attention, probably because, as Kohl and Francoeur (1995) state, their influence on sexual behavior is difficult to ascertain. However, body odor (i.e., airborne hormones) definitely influences our behaviors. In their review of numerous studies such as synchronization of menstrual cycles of women who live together, and the influence of hormone-scented masks on individuals' ratings of others, Kohl and Francoeur (1995) state that odor must be involved in our sexual behaviors also. Helen Fisher (1993) also agrees that odors may influence sexual behavior and cites that some men in Greece swear by body-odor scented handkerchiefs which they use to lure women into relationships."
http://www.csun.edu...

Now as for the memory portion:
"For the first 1"2 years of life, brain structures such as the limbic system, which holds the hippocampus and the amygdala and is involved in memory storage, are not yet fully developed. Research has demonstrated that children can remember events from before the age of 3"4 years, but that these memories decline as children get older."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

These 2 things don't go hand in hand. Children do not lose their memory because of that.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:14:22 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:50:18 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Freud believed babies are sexually attracted to the parent.

Freud invented psychoanalysis because he needed it, the guy had a lot of issues.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:27:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 10:14:22 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:50:18 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Freud believed babies are sexually attracted to the parent.

Freud invented psychoanalysis because he needed it, the guy had a lot of issues.

Still the most important guy in the field.

And it is impossible to be genius without some madness.

I know i am crazy.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:33:53 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 2:54:11 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 2:11:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Despite being out of favor for a awhile Frued and the Oedipus complex are still being taught. (any many cases as fact)

There are several problems I have with his question. 1) He says he is 16, and taking a class where Frued is being discussed in any death. 2) Even Frued never said anything like this. He talked of sexual sanctification that infants could get from nursing, later potty training, and other non-sexual cues. 3) The oedipus complex is, by Frued, is a pubescent thing. 4) His "baby's block this out" is nothing I have ever herd attached to any branch of science.

Did you have sex ed?

He didn't say it, he published it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

The part about babies blocking it out was my input.

And the oedipus complex has nothing to do with infantile sexuality,
as i am pretty shure the link talks about.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:36:20 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 9:57:27 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I don't think that is the case. There are still people in their adulthood sexually attracted to their parents at some point without the consequence of forgetting.
Humans generally tend to be more sexually attracted to the opposite sex (or whoever they're sexually attracted to) when they're going through puberty as our bodies start to evolve.
"Puberty is the process of physical changes through which a child's body matures into an adult body capable of sexual reproduction to enable fertilization. It is initiated by hormonal signals from the brain to the gonads: the ovaries in a girl, the testes in a boy. In response to the signals, the gonads produce hormones that stimulate libido and the growth, function, and transformation of the brain, bones, muscle, blood, skin, hair, breasts, and sex organs. Physical growth"height and weight"accelerates in the first half of puberty and is completed when an adult body has been developed. Until the maturation of their reproductive capabilities, the pre-pubertal physical differences between boys and girls are the external sex organs."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

These differences that happen during puberty are what make us more prone to seek to procreate etc.
"An analysis of human sexual motivation couldn't proceed without first discussing physiological factors, in particular, hormones. The influence of hormones in sexual behavior is well-supported by research. Both men and women produce estrogens, progestins and androgens, though women produce far more estrogens and progestin and men more androgens (Hokanson, 1969; Leger, 1992). In lower species, hormone levels are almost directly correlated with sexual behavior, however, as one moves up the phylogenetic scale, other elements become involved (Fisher, 1993; Hokanson, 1969). In humans, hormones are also related to sexual desire, but are not the entire story. In males, a minimum level of testosterone is necessary to maintain normal sexual motivation in males (Leger, 1992). If males' testosterone levels fall below the threshold, sexual motivation is greatly reduced. However, once the threshold level is reached, it no longer predicts sexual behavior. Women's studies also show correlations between hormones and sexual desire (Leger, 1992; Sherwin & Gelfan, 1987; Sherwin, Gelfan, & Brender, 1985), however, the results are inconsistent (Leger, 1992). Since neither increases nor decreases in hormones in either males or females are perfectly correlated with sexual desire, it stands to reason that there must be other factors involved. As Hokanson (1969) concludes, hormones serve the primary purpose of readying the individual for action, but other factors determine whether the individual actually engages in sexual activity. Another physiological factor in sexual motivation may well be odor and sense of smell. Of all the elements researched, odor and sense of smell have received the least attention, probably because, as Kohl and Francoeur (1995) state, their influence on sexual behavior is difficult to ascertain. However, body odor (i.e., airborne hormones) definitely influences our behaviors. In their review of numerous studies such as synchronization of menstrual cycles of women who live together, and the influence of hormone-scented masks on individuals' ratings of others, Kohl and Francoeur (1995) state that odor must be involved in our sexual behaviors also. Helen Fisher (1993) also agrees that odors may influence sexual behavior and cites that some men in Greece swear by body-odor scented handkerchiefs which they use to lure women into relationships."
http://www.csun.edu...

Now as for the memory portion:
"For the first 1"2 years of life, brain structures such as the limbic system, which holds the hippocampus and the amygdala and is involved in memory storage, are not yet fully developed. Research has demonstrated that children can remember events from before the age of 3"4 years, but that these memories decline as children get older."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

These 2 things don't go hand in hand. Children do not lose their memory because of that.

As a defence mechanism is what i meant.

Thanks for your argument.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:38:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:36:20 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 9:57:27 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I don't think that is the case. There are still people in their adulthood sexually attracted to their parents at some point without the consequence of forgetting.
Humans generally tend to be more sexually attracted to the opposite sex (or whoever they're sexually attracted to) when they're going through puberty as our bodies start to evolve.
"Puberty is the process of physical changes through which a child's body matures into an adult body capable of sexual reproduction to enable fertilization. It is initiated by hormonal signals from the brain to the gonads: the ovaries in a girl, the testes in a boy. In response to the signals, the gonads produce hormones that stimulate libido and the growth, function, and transformation of the brain, bones, muscle, blood, skin, hair, breasts, and sex organs. Physical growth"height and weight"accelerates in the first half of puberty and is completed when an adult body has been developed. Until the maturation of their reproductive capabilities, the pre-pubertal physical differences between boys and girls are the external sex organs."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

These differences that happen during puberty are what make us more prone to seek to procreate etc.
"An analysis of human sexual motivation couldn't proceed without first discussing physiological factors, in particular, hormones. The influence of hormones in sexual behavior is well-supported by research. Both men and women produce estrogens, progestins and androgens, though women produce far more estrogens and progestin and men more androgens (Hokanson, 1969; Leger, 1992). In lower species, hormone levels are almost directly correlated with sexual behavior, however, as one moves up the phylogenetic scale, other elements become involved (Fisher, 1993; Hokanson, 1969). In humans, hormones are also related to sexual desire, but are not the entire story. In males, a minimum level of testosterone is necessary to maintain normal sexual motivation in males (Leger, 1992). If males' testosterone levels fall below the threshold, sexual motivation is greatly reduced. However, once the threshold level is reached, it no longer predicts sexual behavior. Women's studies also show correlations between hormones and sexual desire (Leger, 1992; Sherwin & Gelfan, 1987; Sherwin, Gelfan, & Brender, 1985), however, the results are inconsistent (Leger, 1992). Since neither increases nor decreases in hormones in either males or females are perfectly correlated with sexual desire, it stands to reason that there must be other factors involved. As Hokanson (1969) concludes, hormones serve the primary purpose of readying the individual for action, but other factors determine whether the individual actually engages in sexual activity. Another physiological factor in sexual motivation may well be odor and sense of smell. Of all the elements researched, odor and sense of smell have received the least attention, probably because, as Kohl and Francoeur (1995) state, their influence on sexual behavior is difficult to ascertain. However, body odor (i.e., airborne hormones) definitely influences our behaviors. In their review of numerous studies such as synchronization of menstrual cycles of women who live together, and the influence of hormone-scented masks on individuals' ratings of others, Kohl and Francoeur (1995) state that odor must be involved in our sexual behaviors also. Helen Fisher (1993) also agrees that odors may influence sexual behavior and cites that some men in Greece swear by body-odor scented handkerchiefs which they use to lure women into relationships."
http://www.csun.edu...

Now as for the memory portion:
"For the first 1"2 years of life, brain structures such as the limbic system, which holds the hippocampus and the amygdala and is involved in memory storage, are not yet fully developed. Research has demonstrated that children can remember events from before the age of 3"4 years, but that these memories decline as children get older."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

These 2 things don't go hand in hand. Children do not lose their memory because of that.

As a defence mechanism is what i meant.

Thanks for your argument.

It's highly unlikely that that is the case.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:47:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.

Freud's theoris are hard to prove and
disprove but still suggests an explanation.

That is why he is still important as my teacher said.

Thanks for the input.
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:55:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:47:47 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.

Freud's theoris are hard to prove and
disprove but still suggests an explanation.

I am aware but that ultimately means that they shouldn't really be valued. I could just make up a theory right now and say that it's because babies are preoccupied with learning vital skills like walking and talking, meaning that babies don't focus on remembering trivial events and focus on remembering these key skills. That theory is hard to prove. But it's also hard to disprove since we don't have a definitive theory on the subject. Due to the severe lack of scientific evidence that I have to offer we ought to discredit my theory because it's just made up, there are millions of possibilities that I could think of but if there's no evidence in support if them, then the theories are useless. Therefore, Freud's theory is irrelevant. Unless there's some kind of scientific explanation for it I think that discrediting it is probably the best thing to do.

That is why he is still important as my teacher said.

I agree that he is still important but I believe that he is important for reasons other than this. Anybody could think of a theory like that. But if you can't prove or disprove it you ought to assume that it's untrue. To put this into a more generic analogy. Let's say that I make the claim that a giant monkey in an alternate dimension created the universe. We can't prove this. But we can't disprove it either because we don't know if alternate dimensions exist and if they do exist we don't know how to get to them. It cannot be proven or disproven but that doesn't make the theory likely or relevant. The same can be said for Freud. He's given a theory with no evidence. It's possible but should be considered irrelevant until somebody actually offers substantiate evidence in support of it.

Thanks for the input.

You're welcome.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 1:25:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:33:53 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 2:54:11 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 2:11:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Despite being out of favor for a awhile Frued and the Oedipus complex are still being taught. (any many cases as fact)

There are several problems I have with his question. 1) He says he is 16, and taking a class where Frued is being discussed in any death. 2) Even Frued never said anything like this. He talked of sexual sanctification that infants could get from nursing, later potty training, and other non-sexual cues. 3) The oedipus complex is, by Frued, is a pubescent thing. 4) His "baby's block this out" is nothing I have ever herd attached to any branch of science.

Did you have sex ed?

He didn't say it, he published it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

The part about babies blocking it out was my input.

And the oedipus complex has nothing to do with infantile sexuality,
as i am pretty shure the link talks about.

I see. You said "Came up in Psych today." Most often you will see that as an aberration for psychology, not sex-ed. Not a subject taught to 16 yos. Fair enough.

Well, I answered your second question, and got close on the first, but I am feeling more generous this am and will elaborate.

Frued was, again, not speaking of sexual attraction in infants, he was speaking of sexual stimulation. That is, a nursing child could be getting sexual pleasure, this is irrespective of gender of the child.

Now, as noted, most of this has been regulated to the trash-bin of the soft-sciences, and I agree it should along with dream analysis. If a child gets additional pleasure from nursing or touching, assigning sexual sanctification is unnecessary, un-provable, and irrelevant. Further attempting to make it about gender is nothing but utter garbage that leads to more garbage.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 1:40:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 1:25:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:33:53 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 2:54:11 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 2:11:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:48:08 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:44:19 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:41:39 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Fair enough then.

No. I doubt we "don't remember" being babies to hide the emotional shock of wanting to do our parents.

Ok, answer the first question.

I posted this to watch and to
see the opinions people will form.

I don't believe you. I don't think this came up in "Psych today". I don't believe this in any way a real question for anyone.

Despite being out of favor for a awhile Frued and the Oedipus complex are still being taught. (any many cases as fact)

There are several problems I have with his question. 1) He says he is 16, and taking a class where Frued is being discussed in any death. 2) Even Frued never said anything like this. He talked of sexual sanctification that infants could get from nursing, later potty training, and other non-sexual cues. 3) The oedipus complex is, by Frued, is a pubescent thing. 4) His "baby's block this out" is nothing I have ever herd attached to any branch of science.

Did you have sex ed?

He didn't say it, he published it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

The part about babies blocking it out was my input.

And the oedipus complex has nothing to do with infantile sexuality,
as i am pretty shure the link talks about.

I see. You said "Came up in Psych today." Most often you will see that as an aberration for psychology, not sex-ed. Not a subject taught to 16 yos. Fair enough.


Well, I answered your second question, and got close on the first, but I am feeling more generous this am and will elaborate.

Frued was, again, not speaking of sexual attraction in infants, he was speaking of sexual stimulation. That is, a nursing child could be getting sexual pleasure, this is irrespective of gender of the child.

Now, as noted, most of this has been regulated to the trash-bin of the soft-sciences, and I agree it should along with dream analysis. If a child gets additional pleasure from nursing or touching, assigning sexual sanctification is unnecessary, un-provable, and irrelevant. Further attempting to make it about gender is nothing but utter garbage that leads to more garbage.

Thank you for the input.

The purpose of this thread was to
see people's opinions on the matter.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:59:23 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 3:35:13 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Q1). I doubt it.

Q2). Yes, as a defensive mechanism.
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 4:06:31 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

Doesn't sex drive start in puberty?
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:56:51 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:39:22 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:36:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

I think you need to hustle off to your mental health professional.

Go on now. Hurry.

Came up in Psych today.

Well that would definitely confirm the belief that most people have - those who go into psychology are those who most need help.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:07:16 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 12:47:47 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.

Freud's theoris are hard to prove and
disprove but still suggests an explanation.

That is why he is still important as my teacher said.

Thanks for the input.
So his claims aren't scientific, right?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:10:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 3:07:16 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:47:47 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.

Freud's theoris are hard to prove and
disprove but still suggests an explanation.

That is why he is still important as my teacher said.

Thanks for the input.
So his claims aren't scientific, right?

He was a psycologist.

So they were.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:11:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 3:10:32 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 4/4/2016 3:07:16 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:47:47 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.

Freud's theoris are hard to prove and
disprove but still suggests an explanation.

That is why he is still important as my teacher said.

Thanks for the input.
So his claims aren't scientific, right?

He was a psycologist.

So they were.

You just stated that his claims were 'hard to disprove'.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:13:51 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 3:11:37 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 4/4/2016 3:10:32 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 4/4/2016 3:07:16 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:47:47 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 12:42:43 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/29/2016 11:49:31 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Are babies sexually attracted to the (biological) parent of the opposite sex?

You have the full burden to prove this. My answer is no. I want to know what arguments somebody for it would give. Just to note, Sigmund Freud's theory has been discredited and confirmed as almost certainly untrue.

Would this explain why we don't remember being babies (to protect ourselfs from trying to reproduce with our parents)?

No. Researchers have attributed it to a child's lack of self-perception, language or other mental equipment required to encode memories. The rapid birth of many new neurons in a young brain also blocks access to old memories. All of these ultimately lead to infantile amnesia. Sexual attraction and similar theories are ridiculous and have been considered to be so for quite a while now.

Freud's theoris are hard to prove and
disprove but still suggests an explanation.

That is why he is still important as my teacher said.

Thanks for the input.
So his claims aren't scientific, right?

He was a psycologist.

So they were.

You just stated that his claims were 'hard to disprove'.

They are.