Jump to topic:

Do plants sleep?

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:48:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Lots of people have noticed that flowers close at night for a lot of species that require only day time pollinators. It would make sense for plants to use less energy at night, but maybe that's when they use a lot of their energy and its all just stored during the day? I don't know. It kind of makes sense to me to focus on energy production in the day and growth/repair at night. That would allow the plants cells to specialize efficiently towards one or the other, but I don't know how plants work biologically speaking.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 7:38:27 PM
At 4/3/2016 1:48:30 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
Lots of people have noticed that flowers close at night for a lot of species that require only day time pollinators. It would make sense for plants to use less energy at night, but maybe that's when they use a lot of their energy and its all just stored during the day? I don't know. It kind of makes sense to me to focus on energy production in the day and growth/repair at night. That would allow the plants cells to specialize efficiently towards one or the other, but I don't know how plants work biologically speaking.

Sleep is measured by brainwaves, so is it only a state of consciousness? If so, then plants do not sleep.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 10:46:53 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:48:30 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Like us, plants have a circadian clock aligned with the 24 hour light-dark cycle which regulates physiological changes associated with the circadian rhythm. Those physiological changes in metabolic activity occur even when the plants are given light full time, there is an alternating pattern of "activity" and "rest" that could be considered a plant"s sleep cycle. At night the plant "rests" by shutting down certain processes, photosynthesis stops occurring, glucose is distributed and changed to starch, and the respiration process slows down as ours does. You can certainly liken glucose process to our "digestion and the evening rest period to our "sleep" because of the similarities.

Most plants go dormant in the winter months, which is very similar to the way some animals hibernate, so yeah, it would be fair to say plants "sleep" and "hibernate".
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater