Jump to topic:

This might be a dumb question

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 4:51:29 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
How long would the tendency for suicide take to devolve out of our human population?

Will AC(PHLEM)med the suicidal puppet not be in humanity's future culture? Evolutionarily speaking, what is the advantage to killing others through suicide voluntarily?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:55:32 AM
At 4/5/2016 4:51:29 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
How long would the tendency for suicide take to devolve out of our human population?

Will AC(PHLEM)med the suicidal puppet not be in humanity's future culture? Evolutionarily speaking, what is the advantage to killing others through suicide voluntarily?

The tendency for suicide isn't really a genetic trait, so it won't "devolve" out of the human population.

Also, evolution in the traditional sense is unlikely to occur anymore in humans, due to large amounts of gene flow between populations and lack of significant selection pressures.

Hopefully as mankind gets more advanced, we may get better and preventing and treating the causes of suicide, such as depression; we are more than capable of that.
Meh!
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:58:01 AM

Unless you are saying suicide is genetic, this question has little meaning.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 1:41:50 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:58:01 AM, TBR wrote:

All things are genetic in terms of evolution. Everything that the population has or at least is moving towards, is there to help you reproduce your genes by interaction with your environment. Every once and awhile it doesn't work If loonies are going poof. It makes sense that they would be naturally selected out of here, unless they are masters of seduction or something.

We may have choice, but according to our genes, its possible that over XXXXXX years those genes could impair the ability to reproduce of a number of people down the line and impair according to the theory right?

Is it wrong to say you can be born with suicidal tendencies? Eh, maybe it is or maybe it isn't. It's hard to say since I don't know the whole nature nurture interaction, but I was figuring maybe people would at least become less gullible over time, or something like that, and that would lead to less suicide bombings in 3.2 million years.

Unfortunately I think you guys are right though. Its probably too complicated. Since suicide already isn't natural. Even if we only considered the nature aspect and throw out nurture all together, the only reason we would occasionally have suicide is if its connected to something that helps us reproduce more then it hurts.

Oh well, got my embarrassing thought experiment out of the way. I don't know why that popped into my head. I guess I just liked the thought of ISIS going extinct. Death by Darwin.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:03:52 AM
At 4/6/2016 1:41:50 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/6/2016 12:58:01 AM, TBR wrote:

All things are genetic in terms of evolution. Everything that the population has or at least is moving towards, is there to help you reproduce your genes by interaction with your environment. Every once and awhile it doesn't work If loonies are going poof. It makes sense that they would be naturally selected out of here, unless they are masters of seduction or something.

Unless tendency to suicide is genetic in nature, there is no trait to pass to generations.

We may have choice, but according to our genes, its possible that over XXXXXX years those genes could impair the ability to reproduce of a number of people down the line and impair according to the theory right?

Is it wrong to say you can be born with suicidal tendencies? Eh, maybe it is or maybe it isn't. It's hard to say since I don't know the whole nature nurture interaction, but I was figuring maybe people would at least become less gullible over time, or something like that, and that would lead to less suicide bombings in 3.2 million years.

Depression MAY be genetic - there is no actual study that has shown that that I know of. Some mental illness that accompanies depression are genetic, but again, you have to connect suicidal tendency with genetics for this to be an issue for evolution.

Unfortunately I think you guys are right though. Its probably too complicated. Since suicide already isn't natural. Even if we only considered the nature aspect and throw out nurture all together, the only reason we would occasionally have suicide is if its connected to something that helps us reproduce more then it hurts.

Oh well, got my embarrassing thought experiment out of the way. I don't know why that popped into my head. I guess I just liked the thought of ISIS going extinct. Death by Darwin.

No problem. Not a bad question at all.