Jump to topic:

Blinking and breathing

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 5:21:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Doesn't anyone else think it's amazing that you can control your blinks and your breathing, but when you're not thinking about them, they go into automation?

Clever monkeys indeed.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:15:39 PM
At 11/20/2010 5:21:10 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Doesn't anyone else think it's amazing that you can control your blinks and your breathing, but when you're not thinking about them, they go into automation?

Clever monkeys indeed.

I know, isn't it awesome how God designed us?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:19:39 PM

Not really.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:23:07 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:15:39 PM, jharry wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

Yep. I especially love how we can be killed not only by the animals intended to act as our servants, but also how we can be painfully killed by microscopic bacteria.

The whole "cancer" thing was probably also a bad idea.

As was building us so that we had to eat and drink, walk rather than fly, sh*t and p*ss, etc.

Oh, wait. Looks like the design was actually pretty sh*tty.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:23:40 PM

Clever monkeys indeed.

He sure is an awesome dude. *nods and walks slowly away*

Muh threads
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:24:25 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:19:39 PM, Korashk wrote:

Not really.

If you think about it, these motions are controlled by the autonomic system, which essentially regulates involuntary motions and movements. The medulla (in the hindbrain) is also responsible for breathing and the like. It's quite amazing how the brain and the body function simply from thermochemical neurons; the mere firing of neurons is responsible for almost everything we do!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:25:18 PM
Yes! I also love how I can go into a murderous rampage when I think about it, but when I don't it goes into automation! Beautiful stuff.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:25:39 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:23:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

Yep. I especially love how we can be killed not only by the animals intended to act as our servants, but also how we can be painfully killed by microscopic bacteria.

As was building us so that we had to eat and drink, walk rather than fly, sh*t and p*ss, etc.

Where did you get your information? Are you building straw men again?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:27:47 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:25:39 PM, jharry wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

Lol..where'd he get his information?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:29:11 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:23:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

He sure is an awesome dude. *nods and walks slowly away*

*giggles and points* as you walk away.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:29:28 PM

Clever monkeys indeed.

Where did you get your information?

The fact that we can be killed by animals and bacteria, that we can get cancer, that we must eat and drink, that we walk (rather than fly), and that we all sh*t and p*ss are all pretty self-evident. Feel free to challenge any of those, though.

Are you building straw men again?

"Again" presupposes that I've ever built straw men when discussing things with you. That you put forward such blatantly incorrect claims means it's easy to demonstrate your position as being absurd, though. I apologize.

More to the point, though: you were praising "God's design". I was demonstrating that, for a perfect being, his designs kind of suck.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:30:08 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:27:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

Lol..where'd he get his information?

It's okay... I've got this... I'm just trying not to facepalm.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:33:02 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:29:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

The fact that we can be killed by animals and bacteria, that we can get cancer, that we must eat and drink, that we walk (rather than fly), and that we all sh*t and p*ss are all pretty self-evident. Feel free to challenge any of those, though.

Ok. Do you think that I believe that w are in the same state as in which our original design was fashioned?

"Again" presupposes that I've ever built straw men when discussing things with you. That you put forward such blatantly incorrect claims means it's easy to demonstrate your position as being absurd, though. I apologize.

More to the point, though: you were praising "God's design". I was demonstrating that, for a perfect being, his designs kind of suck.

And the things you described were not in the original design. :)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:37:30 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:30:08 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I know, when reading a lot of this stuff on this site I have to tape my hand to my chair.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:41:50 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:33:02 PM, jharry wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

Ok. Do you think that I believe that w are in the same state as in which our original design was fashioned?

I already see where you're going. Original sin --> imperfection --> "God would NEVER do THAT!"

Even assuming that this argument holds weight, there are plenty of things about the "original design" that are far from what would be created by an omniperfect, non-erring God.

Alright, let's assume that none of that applied. I'm happy to oblige. The same argument can be made for our sinuses, our teeth, our eyes, our reproductive system, and *still* walking, rather than flying.

One other thing: about the "brilliant" breathing system we have--I quote from Wikipedia.

The breathing reflex is stimulated not directly by the absence of oxygen but rather indirectly by the presence of carbon dioxide. A result is that, at high altitudes, oxygen deprivation can occur in unadapted individuals who do not consciously increase their breathing rate. Oxygenless asphyxiation in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere has been proposed as a humane method of execution that exploits this oversight.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:42:33 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:37:30 PM, jharry wrote:

I know, when reading a lot of this stuff on this site I have to tape my hand to my chair.

Why not just squat, rather than sitting? Exercise those brilliant knees that God gave you.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:42:54 PM
Can I PLEASE point out to my good friend jharry, that this thread is in the SCIENCE section of the forums, not the RELIGION forums. Feel free to make an identical thread there and have a discussion about how the human eye couldn't possibly have just sprung into being; about how that's like saying a tornado could blow through a wreakers yard and put together a flawless boeing 747 airplane. !!! o.O;

*packs away his straw man building equipment*

Muh threads
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:51:45 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:41:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/20/2010 7:33:02 PM, jharry wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

I already see where you're going. Original sin --> imperfection --> "God would NEVER do THAT!"

Well honestly I can't say what God would or wouldn't do, and I'm surprised you think you can.

Even assuming that this argument holds weight, there are plenty of things about the "original design" that are far from what would be created by an omniperfect, non-erring God.

Again, where do you get your information on what is best and what isn't for this design? Is it possible that one of "your" opinions for "perfection" might not be the best?

Alright, let's assume that none of that applied. I'm happy to oblige. The same argument can be made for our sinuses, our teeth, our eyes, our reproductive system, and *still* walking, rather than flying.

Are you claiming that it would be better if we could fly? Are there no drawbacks over all to flight for an organism?

One other thing: about the "brilliant" breathing system we have--I quote from Wikipedia.

The breathing reflex is stimulated not directly by the absence of oxygen but rather indirectly by the presence of carbon dioxide. A result is that, at high altitudes, oxygen deprivation can occur in unadapted individuals who do not consciously increase their breathing rate. Oxygenless asphyxiation in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere has been proposed as a humane method of execution that exploits this oversight.

And????
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:57:54 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:42:54 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Can I PLEASE point out to my good friend jharry, that this thread is in the SCIENCE section of the forums, not the RELIGION forums. Feel free to make an identical thread there and have a discussion about how the human eye couldn't possibly have just sprung into being; about how that's like saying a tornado could blow through a wreakers yard and put together a flawless boeing 747 airplane. !!! o.O;

,*packs away his straw man building equipment*

Forever? Or until the next time you attack something you don't really understand?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:59:54 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:42:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Why not just squat, rather than sitting? Exercise those brilliant knees that God gave you.

I do sometimes, stretching is good for the body.

But they become stiff and sore over time, I know this because pain was designed to let me know that I was doing something that wasn't best for my body. And I'm getting old and I played ll on my body growing up.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 8:02:25 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:42:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

And that would be just plain stupid, and another straw man. :)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 9:00:23 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:57:54 PM, jharry wrote:

Forever? Or until the next time you attack something you don't really understand?

Here's something you said just three posts earlier...

At 11/20/2010 7:51:45 PM, jharry wrote:
Well honestly I can't say what God would or wouldn't do, and I'm surprised you think you can.

You don't understand your own God. How do you know I'm wrong?

Muh threads
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 9:31:43 PM
At 11/20/2010 9:00:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/20/2010 7:57:54 PM, jharry wrote:

Here's something you said just three posts earlier...

At 11/20/2010 7:51:45 PM, jharry wrote:

You don't understand your own God. How do you know I'm wrong?

Nice! You completely removed my single statement from the whole of the conversation. I thought you gave up straw manning arguments?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 9:33:43 PM
It actually proves evolution.

The two autonomic functions that we need conscious control over for swimming happen to be under conscious control.

The other functions that might kill us if we had conscious control - like heart rates - we happen to not have control over.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 9:41:02 PM

You really get off on this stuff, eh? ;)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 9:42:48 PM
At 11/20/2010 9:41:02 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

You really get off on this stuff, eh? ;)

Different strokes for different folks. ;)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 10:36:06 PM

Clever monkeys indeed.

Reminds me
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 11:02:26 PM
At 11/20/2010 10:36:06 PM, lovelife wrote:

Clever monkeys indeed.

Reminds me

Yep, just as full as straw as the post Cody made. It just gets dumber and dumber.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 11:27:46 PM
jharry,
Settle this whole discussion and describe the perfect design, Adam. He, when created, should fit this definition. Describe this human and be done with it. No straw man needed. Stop the face palms and educate us.
I hear this design argument quite frequently so I wonder if any creationist has studied and shown her methodology for determining the physical effect of sin on the genome? I have not found such a study in the YEC nonsense that claims peer review, and I look for it, so please enlighten us.
So, here are your goals:
1. Explain Adam (pre fall, of course) and all the physical features he possessed that differentiates him from the rest of us.
a. Did mutations exist in Adam?
b. Was he subject to many of the injuries that our current designs? Which ones, if any?
2.Tell us where we can find the physical effects of the fall in the human genome.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:58:44 AM

Clever monkeys indeed.

Animals are not necessarily our servants and clearly, even as we diverge and attempt to live despite them, we are ridiculously destructive and abusive.

As far as bacteria is concerned--I don't see your point.

Eating, drinking, sh*tting, and p*ssing all feel very good. Think about it.

We can fly.

This is all not to mention that we get drugs and orgasms.

Personally, I think our design is rather marvelous.