Jump to topic:

Engine for Evolution

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 5:48:02 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Please refrain from replying if you don't believe in evolution. Thank you.

Is there a factual explanation for the driver(s) of evolution yet?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 6:01:34 PM
At 4/9/2016 5:48:02 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

The driving forces of evolution are understood, yes.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:44:07 PM
At 4/9/2016 5:48:02 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I don't think evolution is driven by much more than thermodynamics, stats and the complexity of organic chemistry, Quad.

As a thumbnail sketch, life only exists at all because it accelerates entropy. If there are some self-ordering chemical structures that reduce entropy locally while increasing it globally then they can continue to order themselves while ever they have the resources to do so. Meanwhile, entropy itself will break down that order into resources again. So life itself is in a race against entropy locally, while producing more entropy globally.

In addition to re-using the resources yielded up by entropy, if life ever develops the ability to harvest resources from itself then it gets into a race of using resources vs breaking them down. At that point, any statistical variation in mechanisms begins to stream life into diverse clades, which statistically will do better by feeding on other clades than by feeding on themselves.

Evolution follows from that. The only other relevant factor is that organic chemistry is amazingly intricate, and thus allows variation to be piled on variation in the mechanisms by which life can structure itself -- or harvest resources from itself. So that race can create increasing diversity and complexity.

That's my understanding of it anyway. If you'd like some references on any part of that please poke and I'll see what I can find.