Jump to topic:

New Intellectual Species . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 5:35:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What if humanity constructs three islands and genetically engineer three species of primate (one is a race of baboons, the other gorillas, and the last orangutans) to give them an intelligence more on the level of our own (close but not there more on the levels of our predecessors) and make them stand more erect as ell as make them much more omnivorous and give them more curiosity. We place one specie to one island and also put several other types of organism on the isles (organisms that can be domesticated as well as a few predatory organisms that will give them a drive and determination to advance) we will make them have diverse amounts of materials and put the isles near the tropics as well as make the trees there hard for them to climb so they will continue to use their hands or other purposes than simple transportation. We will monitor their development via satellite and give each isle a diverse level of terrain as well as be able to intervene in their development whenever it is necessary. So what do you think about this project and how do you think those species will end up?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 6:14:34 PM
Probably dead, unless those are fairly large islands. Large predators do not have a good track record of survival in small closed ecosystems.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 6:17:21 PM
At 11/26/2010 6:14:34 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
Probably dead, unless those are fairly large islands. Large predators do not have a good track record of survival in small closed ecosystems.

Of course they would be large we need them to develop . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 6:26:52 PM
At 11/26/2010 6:20:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Also, make them less assshole-like. Then it sounds like a great idea.

So how do you see their development?
Minister Of Trolling
:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 8:20:34 PM
At 11/26/2010 6:26:52 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

However more cooperative they are is however better off they will be.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Erick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 8:44:46 PM
I honestly think this could potentially be a bad idea because of the many negative outcomes that could come of it. We would be messing with their specie's natural DNA and could result in totally different species because we would be "experimenting" with them and science can have its mistakes.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 8:44:53 PM
At 11/26/2010 5:35:51 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
What if humanity constructs three islands and genetically engineer three species of primate (one is a race of baboons, the other gorillas, and the last orangutans) to give them an intelligence more on the level of our own (close but not there more on the levels of our predecessors) and make them stand more erect as ell as make them much more omnivorous and give them more curiosity. We place one specie to one island and also put several other types of organism on the isles (organisms that can be domesticated as well as a few predatory organisms that will give them a drive and determination to advance) we will make them have diverse amounts of materials and put the isles near the tropics as well as make the trees there hard for them to climb so they will continue to use their hands or other purposes than simple transportation. We will monitor their development via satellite and give each isle a diverse level of terrain as well as be able to intervene in their development whenever it is necessary. So what do you think about this project and how do you think those species will end up?

As a reality TV show called: Big Brother, Ape Edition
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 9:14:17 PM
At 11/26/2010 8:44:46 PM, Erick wrote:
I honestly think this could potentially be a bad idea because of the many negative outcomes that could come of it. We would be messing with their specie's natural DNA and could result in totally different species because we would be "experimenting" with them and science can have its mistakes.

That's what we are trying to do create a new species with intellect comparable to our own and one day use machines like we do . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 9:15:04 PM
At 11/26/2010 8:20:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/26/2010 6:26:52 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

However more cooperative they are is however better off they will be.

I remember Native Americans and Africans being quite cooperative . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Erick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 10:15:31 PM
At 11/26/2010 9:14:17 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

That's what we are trying to do create a new species with intellect comparable to our own and one day use machines like we do . . .

But what if they try to become the ONLY species with that high of intelligence; that is and then try to destroy the human race, which would backfire. If that were to happen, massive destruction and wars would erupt. Wow... I sound like a movie. Lmfao.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 11:56:16 PM
At 11/26/2010 10:15:31 PM, Erick wrote:
At 11/26/2010 9:14:17 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

But what if they try to become the ONLY species with that high of intelligence; that is and then try to destroy the human race, which would backfire. If that were to happen, massive destruction and wars would erupt. Wow... I sound like a movie. Lmfao.

Nah we have had a 5000 year head start and the fact still remains we can nuke them at any given time plus we have a head start in space . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 1:50:34 AM
Too much science fiction for me, and I love science fiction. I can't evaluate how the species would turn out because the fictional genetic experiments would in fact speciate the groups (artificial isolation) you listed and give them more human qualities than they currently posses. Also, humans are nowhere near as good as nature when species production is the measure, so I would not expect anything dramatic. The current available measure would be to put humans on separate islands and leave them alone and watch what they "become". The answer? I don't know because we can't do it.

I don't know the outcome of such an experiment because the methods of producing such an experiment are far outside of our current range. We can't test this one right now so I can't offer much outside of pure speculation. I will say that we have isolated populations of different creatures and we should study them as evolution affects them in the same manner (even if not the same rate) as it affects us.

I would have to turn your experiment down if it came to me; at least, I would at this point.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 2:13:47 AM
At 11/27/2010 1:50:34 AM, sherlockmethod wrote:
Too much science fiction for me, and I love science fiction. I can't evaluate how the species would turn out because the fictional genetic experiments would in fact speciate the groups (artificial isolation) you listed and give them more human qualities than they currently posses. Also, humans are nowhere near as good as nature when species production is the measure, so I would not expect anything dramatic. The current available measure would be to put humans on separate islands and leave them alone and watch what they "become". The answer? I don't know because we can't do it.

I don't know the outcome of such an experiment because the methods of producing such an experiment are far outside of our current range. We can't test this one right now so I can't offer much outside of pure speculation. I will say that we have isolated populations of different creatures and we should study them as evolution affects them in the same manner (even if not the same rate) as it affects us.

I would have to turn your experiment down if it came to me; at least, I would at this point.

We have the technology it is simply the lack of drive and determination to attempt this experiment remember trial and error is the scientific method you will never know unless you try . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:29:05 AM
This would be rather pointless, we may as well directly tamper with Human DNA according to market forces.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 3:26:55 PM
At 11/27/2010 7:29:05 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This would be rather pointless, we may as well directly tamper with Human DNA according to market forces.

Whats pointless about producing a new technologically advanced species so we can truly say we are not the only intelligent species on earth as well as shed some light upon human history as well . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 3:44:23 PM
At 11/27/2010 3:26:55 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Whats pointless about producing a new technologically advanced species so we can truly say we are not the only intelligent species on earth as well as shed some light upon human history as well . . . ?

Because it will take thousands of years for them to catch up or exceed us. At best we have created a fun zoo, at the worst a rival. It will hardly shed any light on our history, we did not evolve from Gorilla's or Baboons or Orangutans on a laboratory island.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 4:54:53 PM
At 11/27/2010 3:44:23 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Because it will take thousands of years for them to catch up or exceed us. At best we have created a fun zoo, at the worst a rival. It will hardly shed any light on our history, we did not evolve from Gorilla's or Baboons or Orangutans on a laboratory island.

For one there will be no human labs on the island for two this will shed light upon technological and social developmental history. No humans will be permitted to venture anywhere near those islands unless its a dire emergency. An simply beacuse we cannot see any results soon does not mean it is not worth the effort plus they will have a leg up on our predecessors for doing most of the evolutionary work for them and our ability to steer them in the right direction plus if we go extinct at least we have a successor species . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:00:01 PM
At 11/27/2010 4:54:53 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

For one there will be no human labs on the island

The Islands are labs in effect.

for two this will shed light upon technological and social developmental history.

It would be interesting for historians and anthropoligists to watch, but thats about it.

No humans will be permitted to venture anywhere near those islands unless its a dire emergency. An simply beacuse we cannot see any results soon does not mean it is not worth the effort plus they will have a leg up on our predecessors for doing most of the evolutionary work for them and our ability to steer them in the right direction plus if we go extinct at least we have a successor species . . .

Well chances are good that anything that wipes us out will do them in as well.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:10:22 PM
At 11/27/2010 5:00:01 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/27/2010 4:54:53 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

For one there will be no human labs on the island

The Islands are labs in effect.

More like petri dishes . . .

for two this will shed light upon technological and social developmental history.

It would be interesting for historians and anthropoligists to watch, but thats about it.

Hmmm . . . I am relativel certain that watching cavemen is also a fascination for children as well and could also interest philosophers

No humans will be permitted to venture anywhere near those islands unless its a dire emergency. An simply beacuse we cannot see any results soon does not mean it is not worth the effort plus they will have a leg up on our predecessors for doing most of the evolutionary work for them and our ability to steer them in the right direction plus if we go extinct at least we have a successor species . . .

Well chances are good that anything that wipes us out will do them in as well.

Well we could always terraform a rock and ship them there (its cheaper to fly as a pet) plus the most likely chance of humans going on the extinction list is either via other humans or plague plus environmental change is something our technology can deal with . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: