Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

I would like to adress a creationist argument

Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.
Meh!
Stronn
Posts: 318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:08:16 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM, Axonly wrote:
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well, because it demonstrates a complete ignorance of what evolution says. It's akin to someone arguing against the theory of gravity by saying, "If gravity is true, then why don't things fall up toward the moon?" Other common creationist arguments that show the same lack of understanding include the following.

1. If evolution is true, why aren't there Crocoducks and Birdmonkies?
2. Evolution violates the second law of themodynamics.

And my favorite, not just because it shows a lack of understanding, but because it commits an outright fallacy of equivocation:

3. Evolution is just a theory.
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:24:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM, Axonly wrote:
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.

While I agree that such argument is in very poor taste, no well-informed creationist actually makes such argument
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Briannj17
Posts: 360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:41:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM, Axonly wrote:
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.

Well actually you image does not sum it all up. A long time ago you claim we share a common ancestor with monkeys. If the same time elapsed from that common ancestor to the modern day man how come the modern day monkey hasn't evolved into something better as well?
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:53:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM, Axonly wrote:
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.

If Evolution is true; and we came from monkeys why are the still monkeys!!!".

If North Americans came from Europeans, why are there still Europeans?
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:14:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 3:41:52 PM, Briannj17 wrote:
At 4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM, Axonly wrote:
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.

Well actually you image does not sum it all up. A long time ago you claim we share a common ancestor with monkeys. If the same time elapsed from that common ancestor to the modern day man how come the modern day monkey hasn't evolved into something better as well?

"Better than"? What makes you think they are not well adapted to the environment right now?

If you want to add to the list OP, add this notion that evoluition is purpose driven with an end goal of some "perfection".
distraff
Posts: 1,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 8:26:31 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 3:41:52 PM, Briannj17 wrote:
At 4/19/2016 11:32:01 PM, Axonly wrote:
Im not going to try to argue creationism is wrong, but disprove one of its arguments that I see from time to time that irritates me.

"If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys!!!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

This image sums is up really nicely, if you are a creationist and use that argument, please look at the image.

Well actually you image does not sum it all up. A long time ago you claim we share a common ancestor with monkeys. If the same time elapsed from that common ancestor to the modern day man how come the modern day monkey hasn't evolved into something better as well?

Human intelligence evolved because of a variety of factors. First off, apes are the smartest animals in the animal kingdom. We have taught gorillas to use sign language, chimpanzees have a proven ability to play simple strategy games, lie, and use simple tools in nature.

Second, the ancestors of humans lived in parts of Africa where the forests were disappearing and they were being forced on the ground. This created a lot of natural selection and changing environments forced them to evolve in a way that was not happening for apes that lived in safe jungles.

Third, in order to adapt to being on the ground these hominids first evolved the ability to walk on two legs. This freed their hands for making tools instead of being used by apes for walking. Intelligence is far more useful when you have hands for making tools available. Intelligence would be far less useful to a walrus because it really can't make technology to improve its lot.

Fourth, the ape hands are by far the best in the animal kingdom because of their flexibility and having thumbs. These hands originally evolved for swinging on trees and are much better than the hands of squirrels, dogs, horses, or lizards. This made them far more useful for tool making and made evolving intelligence far more useful.