Jump to topic:

Genetic Engineering

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:31:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm required in my Biotechnology course to enter a convention called BioExpo. My topic is "Ethical Issues in Genetic Engineering". I'm focusing on genetic engineering in humans and not plants or animals. Through my research, I've encountered many different perspectives on the implications of genetic engineering which made me wonder...

Does anyone here have any problems with genetic engineering? Most who do, focus on the manipulation of genes for the "betterment" of the species. I'm currently reading Michael J. Sandel's book, " The Case Against Perfection: Ethics in the Age of Genetic Engineering" and a good summarization of his problem with genetic engineering is:

"that they represent the one-sided triumph of willfulness over giftedness, of dominion over reverence, of molding over beholding.…What would be lost if biotechnology dissolved our sense of giftedness? … If the genetic revolution erodes our appreciation for the gifted character of human powers and achievements, it will transform three key features of our moral landscape—humility, responsibility, and solidarity….A Gattaca-like world, in which parents became accustomed to specifying the sex and genetic traits of their children, would be a world inhospitable to the unbidden [the downtrodden unwashed], a gated community writ large."

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:36:10 PM
At 11/28/2010 3:31:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
I'm required in my Biotechnology course to enter a convention called BioExpo. My topic is "Ethical Issues in Genetic Engineering". I'm focusing on genetic engineering in humans and not plants or animals. Through my research, I've encountered many different perspectives on the implications of genetic engineering which made me wonder...

Does anyone here have any problems with genetic engineering? Most who do, focus on the manipulation of genes for the "betterment" of the species. I'm currently reading Michael J. Sandel's book, " The Case Against Perfection: Ethics in the Age of Genetic Engineering" and a good summarization of his problem with genetic engineering is:

"that they represent the one-sided triumph of willfulness over giftedness, of dominion over reverence, of molding over beholding.…What would be lost if biotechnology dissolved our sense of giftedness? … If the genetic revolution erodes our appreciation for the gifted character of human powers and achievements, it will transform three key features of our moral landscape—humility, responsibility, and solidarity….A Gattaca-like world, in which parents became accustomed to specifying the sex and genetic traits of their children, would be a world inhospitable to the unbidden [the downtrodden unwashed], a gated community writ large."

I'm actually taking a Bioethics class right now. We actually read that very article. For other objectors, you might look at Habermas and Kass.

Also, read Elizabeth Fenton: "Liberal Eugenics and Human Nature: Against Habermas"
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:46:09 PM
At 11/28/2010 3:36:10 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I'm actually taking a Bioethics class right now. We actually read that very article.

Well, that's convenient. Lol

For other objectors, you might look at Habermas and Kass.

I've read objections from both of them. I find Habermas's argument to be essentially Dworkin's who I have also read. This idea that moral and immoral will become indistinguishable is hardly justified - but I have to keep my nihilism in check will writing. <sigh>

Do you have any suggestions of articles to read from Habermas? I didn't find many.

And UGH. I cannot stand Kass. What a liberal piece o' annoying crap... Hopefully you don't like him and if you do, no offense.

The "Playing God" argument makes me lol in both Dworkin's and Kass's work.

Also, read Elizabeth Fenton: "Liberal Eugenics and Human Nature: Against Habermas"

That I have not read - thanks.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:56:45 PM
At 11/28/2010 3:46:09 PM, annhasle wrote:

I'm actually taking a Bioethics class right now. We actually read that very article.

Well, that's convenient. Lol

For other objectors, you might look at Habermas and Kass.

I've read objections from both of them. I find Habermas's argument to be essentially Dworkin's who I have also read. This idea that moral and immoral will become indistinguishable is hardly justified - but I have to keep my nihilism in check will writing. <sigh>

I didn't say that I agreed with Habermas.

Do you have any suggestions of articles to read from Habermas? I didn't find many.

Articles? Not particularly. We read The Future of Human Nature.

And UGH. I cannot stand Kass. What a liberal piece o' annoying crap... Hopefully you don't like him and if you do, no offense.

I f*cking hate Leon Kass.

Though it isn't "genetic engineering" per se, you might also read Margaret Talbot: "Brain Gain". It's in the New Yorker--it's a great article about neuroenhancers.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 4:00:44 PM
At 11/28/2010 3:56:45 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:46:09 PM, annhasle wrote:

I didn't say that I agreed with Habermas.

I know - and I'm glad you don't. Otherwise I'd cyber slap you.

Articles? Not particularly. We read The Future of Human Nature.

Oh, that's what I read... Dammit.

I f*cking hate Leon Kass.

Good boy. <pat on the head>

Though it isn't "genetic engineering" per se, you might also read Margaret Talbot: "Brain Gain". It's in the New Yorker--it's a great article about neuroenhancers.

Since bioethics interests me a lot, I'll definitely check it out.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 4:01:22 PM
At 11/28/2010 3:53:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I want a zebracorn, damnit.

We all have dreams, I guess.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 4:30:21 PM
I am all for bioengineering for it coud help to prevent certain diseases and physical defects from occurring in humans as well as allow for humans to be better adept at survivingh in certain conditions (such as space . . .) http://www.debate.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 5:13:21 PM
At 11/28/2010 4:30:21 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I am all for bioengineering for it coud help to prevent certain diseases and physical defects from occurring in humans as well as allow for humans to be better adept at survivingh in certain conditions (such as space . . .) http://www.debate.org...

Uh, the only way we could survive in space is if we somehow engineer a generation of anaerobic humans (in which case we would have engineer them to be either aerotolerant or facultative). The only anaerobic beings of which I can currently conceive are bacteria.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 6:46:40 PM
At 11/28/2010 5:13:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Uh, the only way we could survive in space is if we somehow engineer a generation of anaerobic humans (in which case we would have engineer them to be either aerotolerant or facultative). The only anaerobic beings of which I can currently conceive are bacteria.

I am talking about low gravity, radiation, and extended periods of time without essential nutrients problems not the issues with the vacuum of space . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 1:32:01 AM
I have not read the authors mentioned in this thread, but I will. I want to add to the conversation though. My problem with humans genetically engineering anything is the fact that we use arbitrary standards for "perfection". We suck when it comes to speciation compared to nature. We always have. C. Darwin recognized this and made this point clear in "Origin of Species". We may be able to make an edible banana or get a weenie dog from a wolf, but we don't look at the whole picture well enough. Should we stop? Well, no, but we should recognize that the standards we hold for our species may prove to be arbitrary in the future.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 4:23:23 AM
At 11/29/2010 1:32:01 AM, sherlockmethod wrote:
I have not read the authors mentioned in this thread, but I will. I want to add to the conversation though. My problem with humans genetically engineering anything is the fact that we use arbitrary standards for "perfection". We suck when it comes to speciation compared to nature. We always have. C. Darwin recognized this and made this point clear in "Origin of Species". We may be able to make an edible banana or get a weenie dog from a wolf, but we don't look at the whole picture well enough. Should we stop? Well, no, but we should recognize that the standards we hold for our species may prove to be arbitrary in the future.

Or species physical structure is already arbitrary . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 9:32:22 AM
Watch Gattaca - it raises many of these same issues, about whether giftedness exists if you were genetically engineered. And also how this affects people differentially, since only the rich can afford genetic engineering.

I want a kid with blue eyes - supposedly I should be allowed to choose something so minor. But that opens up the door to choosing the gender of your child, which could have major societal implications down the road.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 11:00:44 AM
At 11/29/2010 4:23:23 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Or species physical structure is already arbitrary . . .

Species may be hard to define, but isolated gene pools, given how evolution works, is not an arbitrary standard.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 1:27:24 PM
in my bioethics course we read "our posthuman future" by francis fukuyama. though its not all about genetic engineering he does devote a good portion of the book to it. his basic argument there seems to be that we will create a permanent underclass of the unenhanced that will be like slaves to those who have made themselves genetically superior. keep in mind though that he pronounced "the end of history" in the 1990s. so....

anyways, my guess is that we won't be as good at is as we think we are... most of our early attempted at genetic engineering have come up against completely unexpected barriers. we have a lot more to learn.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 2:40:29 PM
At 11/29/2010 1:27:24 PM, belle wrote:
in my bioethics course we read "our posthuman future" by francis fukuyama. though its not all about genetic engineering he does devote a good portion of the book to it. his basic argument there seems to be that we will create a permanent underclass of the unenhanced that will be like slaves to those who have made themselves genetically superior. keep in mind though that he pronounced "the end of history" in the 1990s. so....

anyways, my guess is that we won't be as good at is as we think we are... most of our early attempted at genetic engineering have come up against completely unexpected barriers. we have a lot more to learn.

Ahhh, good book. We read Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.
fatdan33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 8:56:55 PM
The very second we are born we start grooming our children to be first who we ourselves are (class, race, work, ideals, morals, so forth), second what we want them to be, third the life that we all wished we had. Society has evolved this way from the start. Why wouldn't we push forward in genetic engineering. We spend every day in school trying to specialize our knowledge to what ever end we like. We specialize our training when we work out for what ever sport we are playing. We specialize our skills to what ever job we do. Worrying about what might happen socially shouldn't stop us. How would that moral leap be any different from every other moral snafu that has been made over the last several thousand years. First it starts out as an atrocity, then barrier, then over come as a society. What ever we do as a species we are always going to be pushing forward, challenging the old ways, and creating new ways.
A fat kid to the fat end... are you going to finish that?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 9:21:38 PM
I'm all for Genetic Engineering, particularly enhanced bio-mechanical parts (Repo-Men anyone?) The future of Evolution would be founded by man-made choices.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 5:33:29 PM
At 11/28/2010 6:46:40 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I am talking about low gravity, radiation, and extended periods of time without essential nutrients problems not the issues with the vacuum of space . . .

So ... bacteria then?
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 6:56:52 PM
At 11/30/2010 5:33:29 PM, Puck wrote:

So ... bacteria then?

We can change our own structure to fit the needs of space so if that's what you want to say say it . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 6:58:40 PM
At 11/30/2010 6:56:52 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

So ... bacteria then?

We can change our own structure to fit the needs of space so if that's what you want to say say it . . .
Since when?
I miss the old members.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 8:00:25 PM
At 11/30/2010 6:58:40 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 11/30/2010 6:56:52 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

So ... bacteria then?

Since when?

I have stopped caring . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 10:11:22 PM
Is anyone here opposed to the use of genetic engineering for humans, based upon the lack of consideration for the "consent of future generations"?

If interested or confused by what I mean, read the following abstract:
http://jetpress.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 10:20:40 PM
At 12/1/2010 10:11:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
Is anyone here opposed to the use of genetic engineering for humans, based upon the lack of consideration for the "consent of future generations"?

Opposing it on that grounds means you would have to also oppose abortion and circumcision.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 10:35:02 PM

I don't think this is the subject of the thread. Robot put forth a notion that is not substantiated in science. I don't know where he gets his information, but we do not know how to do what he proposes, nor do I think his experiment is worthwhile. I am familiar with this paper, but it misses the subject of the thread.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2010 5:54:10 PM
At 12/1/2010 10:35:02 PM, sherlockmethod wrote:

I don't think this is the subject of the thread. Robot put forth a notion that is not substantiated in science. I don't know where he gets his information, but we do not know how to do what he proposes, nor do I think his experiment is worthwhile. I am familiar with this paper, but it misses the subject of the thread.

The thread is about genetic engineering, correct? Well, if the use of genetic engineering becomes popular and is used to alter our children's DNA, then the argument that the "consent of the future generations" needs to be considered is actually quite relevant. So, to clarify the intentions of my post, is this argument that is critiqued in the paper above (see link) something that people on DDO agree with?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2010 8:22:30 PM
At 12/3/2010 5:54:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/1/2010 10:35:02 PM, sherlockmethod wrote:

The thread is about genetic engineering, correct? Well, if the use of genetic engineering becomes popular and is used to alter our children's DNA, then the argument that the "consent of the future generations" needs to be considered is actually quite relevant. So, to clarify the intentions of my post, is this argument that is critiqued in the paper above (see link) something that people on DDO agree with?

it seems to me that if you're going to take that line, everything we do that may have long term consequences is subject to the same criterion. every action becomes a moral quagmire because of what we may be "robbing" from future generations. i think the only relevant issue would be quality of life for the individuals who are genetically engineered, and ensuring that they don't become organ farms...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2010 8:24:17 PM
At 12/3/2010 8:22:30 PM, belle wrote:
it seems to me that if you're going to take that line, everything we do that may have long term consequences is subject to the same criterion. every action becomes a moral quagmire because of what we may be "robbing" from future generations. i think the only relevant issue would be quality of life for the individuals who are genetically engineered, and ensuring that they don't become organ farms...

although actually if it becomes possible to engineer someone to be verifiably unconscious their entire life then i would probably have no problem with them becoming an organ farm... thats really not necessary though, since we will probably be able to grow individual organs before we can engineer a philosophical zombie :p