Jump to topic:

habitable zone is not a reliable conclusion

Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 10:46:06 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
this thread is not to argue but to learn. I will just write the way I think if I am wrong i will be glad to be corrected. ok we go: when a new planet is discovered people check wether it is in a habitable zone or not. if not, then: no life there. habitable zone means:
"
The Habitable Zone is the distance from a star where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface. If a planet is too far from its star, water freezes. If a planet is too close to its star, water evaporates. A planet must stay in the Habitable-Zone throughout its orbit in order for water to remain a liquid. "

but what if that non-habitable zone includes a specie whose anatomy is totally different than ours and operate accordng to the conditiobs of that planet? let us say we discoveted a planet which is far away from the "habitable zone", it is 265 degrees celsius at night and 420 degrees celsius during day time.

what will we conclude? "oh, person cant survive under that conditions, there will be no water,there cant be any water there. plants cant survive, animals cant survive. so there is no life there"

but wait, what if there lives beings like our animals, intelligent beings like humans who operate under that conditions? who evolved according to that conditions? I know some of you may say "the bacterias/cells that startes the life on earth could not have survived there" but again "what if they evolved from totally different bacterias/celss"
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 11:16:37 AM
or is there something that prevents life from coming into existence in a planet which differs from our "habitable zone"
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 2:37:31 PM
At 4/21/2016 10:46:06 AM, Artur wrote:
this thread is not to argue but to learn. I will just write the way I think if I am wrong i will be glad to be corrected. ok we go: when a new planet is discovered people check wether it is in a habitable zone or not. if not, then: no life there. habitable zone means:
"
The Habitable Zone is the distance from a star where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface. If a planet is too far from its star, water freezes. If a planet is too close to its star, water evaporates. A planet must stay in the Habitable-Zone throughout its orbit in order for water to remain a liquid. "

Implicit in "habitable zone" is the assumption that we are talking about life as we know it, ie. carbon based and utilizing liquid water in cells.

but what if that non-habitable zone includes a specie whose anatomy is totally different than ours and operate accordng to the conditiobs of that planet? let us say we discoveted a planet which is far away from the "habitable zone", it is 265 degrees celsius at night and 420 degrees celsius during day time.

what will we conclude? "oh, person cant survive under that conditions, there will be no water,there cant be any water there. plants cant survive, animals cant survive. so there is no life there"

No. We conclude that the kind of life we know cannot exist there. We are interested in Goldilocks planets for obvious reasons.

but wait, what if there lives beings like our animals, intelligent beings like humans who operate under that conditions? who evolved according to that conditions? I know some of you may say "the bacterias/cells that startes the life on earth could not have survived there" but again "what if they evolved from totally different bacterias/celss"

It's possible but that is not our focus. We go with what we know (the sure thing) rather than the longshot. We would be foolish to do anything else.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 3:20:43 PM
I agree... It's a filter to limit the search that may or may not turn out to have been a good idea. If lfe had been reliably detected on Venus or Mars that might justify casting the next wider, but concentrating on the hz is probably the nbest way tosximise the chances of success with very finite resources available
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:31:28 AM
At 4/21/2016 10:46:06 AM, Artur wrote:
"

You don't understand habitable zones.

A habitable zone is an area in which a rocky planet has the right atmospheric and temperature conditions to support liquid water on its surface. Astronomers don't claim that there is life on these Planete, but that it has the potential to support life as we know it. It makes no claims about planets outside these zones.

Astronomers aren't stupid, Artur
Meh!