Jump to topic:

anti abiogenesis

user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 7:01:59 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Fine. If you claim your god always existed, then I claim that life could have always existed just as easily. I still don't need god to explain life!
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 7:16:33 AM
If you say that your god created itself, then I say that life created itself. Whatever magic power you attribute to your god, I will simply attribute that same magic power to life. I still don't need god to explain life.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 7:56:07 AM
At 4/25/2016 6:59:36 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
I see no evidence for abiogenesis. So I reject any claim it is true.

Good for you? Is this supposed to be a thought-provoking thread starter?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:32:33 AM
At 4/25/2016 6:59:36 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
I see no evidence for abiogenesis. So I reject any claim it is true.

Then you must have some alternative explanation for how life appeared about 4 billion years ago on Earth in a very simple form and then slowly evolved and filled every ecosystem on the planet. What is it and your evidence please?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:38:23 AM
Abiogenesis is implied by my belief that the world operates naturalistically, ie without supernatural intervention at any stage. That belief is not wholly justified by what I know in the strictest sense of being a formally sound logical inference from propositions guaranteed to be true. A lot of subjective - indeed unconscious - value judgements are involved too. I am not a computer or a robot and I won't lie I am the slave of hard data and cold logic, although I value them very highly.

But the efect is I can't help judging the probability that naturalism is wrong (ie supernaturalism is true)to be literally negligible. Thus I believe in 'abiogenesis in the sense I will be utterly amazed if it shown to be unworkable. But to be honest, I dont worry about that happening.