Jump to topic:

anti abiogenesis

user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 7:01:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Fine. If you claim your god always existed, then I claim that life could have always existed just as easily. I still don't need god to explain life!
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 7:16:33 AM
If you say that your god created itself, then I say that life created itself. Whatever magic power you attribute to your god, I will simply attribute that same magic power to life. I still don't need god to explain life.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 7:56:07 AM
At 4/25/2016 6:59:36 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
I see no evidence for abiogenesis. So I reject any claim it is true.

Good for you? Is this supposed to be a thought-provoking thread starter?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:32:33 AM
At 4/25/2016 6:59:36 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
I see no evidence for abiogenesis. So I reject any claim it is true.

Then you must have some alternative explanation for how life appeared about 4 billion years ago on Earth in a very simple form and then slowly evolved and filled every ecosystem on the planet. What is it and your evidence please?
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:38:23 AM
Abiogenesis is implied by my belief that the world operates naturalistically, ie without supernatural intervention at any stage. That belief is not wholly justified by what I know in the strictest sense of being a formally sound logical inference from propositions guaranteed to be true. A lot of subjective - indeed unconscious - value judgements are involved too. I am not a computer or a robot and I won't lie I am the slave of hard data and cold logic, although I value them very highly.

But the efect is I can't help judging the probability that naturalism is wrong (ie supernaturalism is true)to be literally negligible. Thus I believe in 'abiogenesis in the sense I will be utterly amazed if it shown to be unworkable. But to be honest, I dont worry about that happening.