Jump to topic:

Eternalism

user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 4:06:26 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I think Creationism is a false "theory". I believe in my theory of life called Eternalism, the idea that the universe and life have always existed because the Flying Spaghetti Monster works in mysterious ways. I want equal time for my "theory" in schools. I have as much evidence as Creationism does.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 5:40:32 PM
Alas your theory does not have the support of millions of people who believe it because their parents believe it. I don't think anybody belives in eternalism - not even you! - but creationists really do believe they are right and that evolution is truly evil. It isn't a debating position - it is built into the very fabric of their thinking and world-view. Hence there are votes in pandering to creationism - there aren't any in supporting eternalism and mocking the sincere feelings of a large chunk of the population is not good politics.

We evolutionists tend to think creationists are blinkered idiots who cant see beyond their prejudice and face the facts that are staring them in the face. Creationists think exactly the same about evolutionists.

How would you react to a parody of evolution that implied only a gullible idiot would believe in evolution? Would you be converted or feel insulted? Wouldn't you feel it was the writer of the parody that was the idiot, not you?

If so, then why expect the reaction of creationists to, say, the FSM be any different? To a creationist the FSM is not an illustrative analogy - it is a blasphemous travesty.

For similar reasons I was disappointed by Dawkins 'God Deiusion'. I was expecting a dispassionate historical narrative about the history of religious thought. What I got was a polemical rant that offended a lot of pious people but I don't think it made many converts. Telling loving and caring parents that teaching their kids about god was a form of child abuse is not a smart move. To many believing parents God is not only true, but an important truth. From their perspective Dawkins is saying telling that telling kids the truth is equivalent to paedophilia, at least as far as a truths Dawkins happens not to disagree with go.

Of course I am not talking about what is true here. I am talking about strategy and the psychology of conversion. I'm sure all we evolutionists get the joke re eternalism, but creationists won't see it as funny. To them it is an insult to their intelligence and further proof that we evolutionists don't understand the issues.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 5:49:12 PM
I wrote:
For similar reasons I was disappointed by Dawkins 'God Deiusion'. I was expecting a dispassionate historical narrative about the history of religious thought.

If in the unlikely event you also want something rather drier than God Delusion, check out Jonathan Millers classic BBC series 'Rough history of disbelief' on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com...